International shipping - Help/advice Needed - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

International shipping - Help/advice Needed

Hi,

In the market for a new guitar (or old new to me) & I am looking at a few of guitars at the moment, two of which are overseas (I am based in the UK). Looking for advice from people who have shipped internationally:-

In each can I will have to arrange the shipping myself.

From US to UK what is best way, who to use etc. Air, seas?

From Australia to UK again who is best to etc. Air, seas?

Can I get round the customs sting in UK if they are shipped as gift or something?
How to pack, any thoughts. Insurance what to insure up to in the chance that something goes wrong.

Looking for any advice, before I commit to payment, anything I have thought of.

Thanks in advance,

RG Bargie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: International shipping - Help/advice Needed

No one....??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG BARGIE View Post
Hi,

In the market for a new guitar (or old new to me) & I am looking at a few of guitars at the moment, two of which are overseas (I am based in the UK). Looking for advice from people who have shipped internationally:-

In each can I will have to arrange the shipping myself.

From US to UK what is best way, who to use etc. Air, seas?

From Australia to UK again who is best to etc. Air, seas?

Can I get round the customs sting in UK if they are shipped as gift or something?
How to pack, any thoughts. Insurance what to insure up to in the chance that something goes wrong.

Looking for any advice, before I commit to payment, anything I have thought of.

Thanks in advance,

RG Bargie
A quick search here would throw up about a million threads with roughly the same questions.

Any of the major carriers will prove perfectly acceptable. People have their favourites, but they are rarely the same. Check the terms and conditions carefully. Ship by air unless you want to wait many weeks or even months.

You can get around customs by under-declaring the value. But if you do that you won't be insured, because insurance will be on declared value. And customs may just pull it anyway for a look-see. If you can live life without the money if someone drives a fork-lift over it - or if customs catch you and fine you - then by all means give it a go. Your choice at the end of the day. It is illegal, of course.

Pack well. Which means making sure the guitar can't move inside the case, and in a cardboard box surrounded by packing material. You of course will be reliant on someone else doing this properly. So it may not matter at the end of the day what you want. Another reason to have insurance.

Bottom line - it's expensive getting guitars from the US/Australia to the UK. You can save money if you take risks. If you take risks, don't come bleating back to us about how you got screwed over when it all goes wrong
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

OK, You know what? That's a fair comment.
So that for the reply.

Have decided to let the importing go, the guitars that I am finding are in my price bracket for what I am looking for, however once they land here the import duties/taxes just take them out of reach.....

Shame as the guitars that I have interest in have been stateside.

RG BARGIE
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 PM

Well there are ways to get around the tax while keeping insurance. Like buying insurance through a third party but declaring low. Which is also illegal.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Well there are ways to get around the tax while keeping insurance. Like buying insurance through a third party but declaring low. Which is also illegal.
Thanks, but had given up on the idea as with all the import taxes/hassle etc it didn't really save anything.

Unfortunately spent my money as it was was burning a hole in my pocket.

RG Bargie

Tags
ibanez , international , shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode