iPhone type phones? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

iPhone type phones?

What do you guys think about the other iPhone type phones compared to the iPhone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: iPhone type phones?

I refuse to ever get an IPhone! Too many limitations. I got my wife a Backflip when they came out--she loved it, so I bought one for me. Love it! Android OS is great and easy to write your own apps if you have a little coding experience. The phone itself is great, too. I like the qwerty board in addition to the virtual board. I can upgrade the storage if needed. The battery is replaceable.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I refuse to ever get an IPhone! Too many limitations. I got my wife a Backflip when they came out--she loved it, so I bought one for me. Love it! Android OS is great and easy to write your own apps if you have a little coding experience. The phone itself is great, too. I like the qwerty board in addition to the virtual board. I can upgrade the storage if needed. The battery is replaceable.
Is this a Tmobile?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

there are a few smartphone threads here.

I loathe apple (and the way it markets to iZombies) but iPhone (last years or new one) is far, far better than motorola backflip (att) to be honest.

Android is like jumping into the deep end when you cant' swim... but it's all there is today in market that is not iPhone. On a hot summer day it keeps you cool and you ask a friend to pull you up from drowning.

Next monday you'll see a major product launch of windows phone 7 with announcements by Microsoft, att & tmobile (coming to sprint/verizon this winter unfortunately). killer ecosystem, gaming platform & several smartphone choices. highly recommended sitting tight for 3-4 weeks before committing to a stale platform/phone... glen
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
there are a few smartphone threads here.

I loathe apple (and the way it markets to iZombies) but iPhone (last years or new one) is far, far better than motorola backflip (att) to be honest.

Android is like jumping into the deep end when you cant' swim... but it's all there is today in market that is not iPhone. On a hot summer day it keeps you cool and you ask a friend to pull you up from drowning.

Next monday you'll see a major product launch of windows phone 7 with announcements by Microsoft, att & tmobile (coming to sprint/verizon this winter unfortunately). killer ecosystem, gaming platform & several smartphone choices. highly recommended sitting tight for 3-4 weeks before committing to a stale platform/phone... glen
Hmm, so, I was thinking about buying Tmobiles version of the iPhone (forget the name/not the Android, above that). So, should I wait or is this phone fine?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

don't buy anything until November. Really. tmobile has several android devices now none are standout. i have a tmobile (and verizon) plans so i know they're phones well. Their galaxy S is horrid. You might be thinking G2 with slider keyboard. That is a very forgettable device and will be top heavy with the small keyboard you'll just want to type onscreen (unless you send hundreds of text messages all day long).

I'm under the impression tmobile's initial Windows Phone 7 device will be an iphone form factor 4.3" screen with no keyboard. ATT will have at least one with keyboard but all details will be revealed 10/11/2010.

the tmobile "mytouch" (htc made exclusively for TM) looks decent for an Android 2.2 device and ships Nov. Good tm info here:
http://www.tmonews.com

... glen
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Reviews: 3

Buy based on the service provider, not the phone.

Lots of people hate ATT, but I have had zero problems in Milwaukee, Chicago, Austin. Verizon was dreadful in Milwaukee, but in other cities they are the best option.

Having the coolest phone on the planet means zilch if you can't get signal.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:13 AM
site founder 0% owner

Of course you buy first based on carrier preference/coverage. That is a given i this case it seems like TM (which is great in NY/NJ & where Rick is just over the river). What is most interesting is that TM is probably the most likely (95%) carrier to get an iPhone if Jobs puts down the pacifier and gets off the AT&T exclusivity in 2011.

it's sad the carriers limit our choices in phones though... g
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

It's the Tmobile Samsung Vibrant. Why is "all" this new tech. coming out on 10-11?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

new tech cause all phones in stores today are based on tekkie stuff from late 2009 while android devices trying to update to a new "version" every 7 weeks. and Microsoft rebooted Windows Mobile last xmas basically pulling it from market until next month. LOL... glen
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Of course you buy first based on carrier preference/coverage. That is a given i this case it seems like TM (which is great in NY/NJ & where Rick is just over the river). What is most interesting is that TM is probably the most likely (95%) carrier to get an iPhone if Jobs puts down the pacifier and gets off the AT&T exclusivity in 2011.

it's sad the carriers limit our choices in phones though... g
Most people aren't following that logic though... like all the people who bought iPhones in San Fran and are filling the entire internet with "ATT Sucks" rhetoric. Even though they are the same people who voted for all these crazy laws that won't allow ATT to put towers up anywhere in their city.

iPhone is still the most usable smartphone. Whenever it's time to get a new phone, I will take a serious look at the new Windows phones.

There really are no other options in my mind. Blackberry is built for very specific use cases, Android phones are for the same people who say Linux is every bit as usable an OS as Windows. It's also becoming less and less "open" as carriers write their own skins and implement new restrictions with each phone.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

You're right Jay.

AT&T invited trouble though by having the worst coverage in SF/NYC of all the carriers including cutrate carriers like MetroPCS.

iPhone is the most usable for the masses but it's stuck on AT&T which is killing them long term. I'm not doubling my bill to migrate to AT&T and worse coverage than Sprint, TM and of course Verizon in my area. It's frustrating for consumers, especially since the vast majority of them are not "geeks"... glen
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Reviews: 15

I have an iPhone, and it's incredible, period. Every phone that comes out, sells itself as the "iPhone killer". That alone should tell you all you need. So many "iPhone killers" have come and gone and the next one will tout that it is the real "iPhone killer". Get the iPhone, and you won't be disappointed.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski View Post
iPhone is still the most usable smartphone. Whenever it's time to get a new phone, I will take a serious look at the new Windows phones.

There really are no other options in my mind. Blackberry is built for very specific use cases, Android phones are for the same people who say Linux is every bit as usable an OS as Windows. It's also becoming less and less "open" as carriers write their own skins and implement new restrictions with each phone.
As an Android phone owner (got an HTC Desire in May) I can 100% confirm what Jay is saying.
If you want a smart phone you don't need to "learn" to use stay away from Android.
The most unintuitive OS I've ever dealt with, just crazy complex for no apparent reason.
There are a few good devices like the Dell Streak, Galaxy S and HTC Evo 4G but Android is not great for anyone who isn't a geek.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:20 PM

I got the Google Nexus One and haven't needed looked further. It is only truly open but it can be really simple or you can tweak the hell out of it if you're a power user. I used to be on WinMo and Palm prior to that but I won't let any company tell me how to use or hold a phone. My Nexus One hooks up to any computer and I don't need silly software to install apps, sync or transfer data. And I can sync to multiple computers. And I can carry an extra battery when traveling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode