iPod repairs and a new direction - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
iPod repairs and a new direction

Hey all, I was curious what kind of intrest there is out here, as I've started a new project repairing iPods for fun and profit. I've been doing this for 6 months now and there has been a great word of mouth response locally, but I wanted to see how many people had the afflicted MP3 player.
I have a full stock of batteries, hard drives, cables, logic boards, displays, you name it.
Pricing from Apple care is obscene considering that most of their diagnostics are vague and overpriced, telling you that your iPod needs a hard drive when that may not be the case.

Apple charges $250 for a 20 Gig hard drive replacement.
I can do it for $100 less.
Batteries, they want $99, I can do it for $39-49 depending on the model and if you want an upgraded, longer lasting battery.

The other thing is, I've seen how ipods look after someone has opened them at the Apple store, You can't even tell after done it.
Attention to detail on these devices is very important, at least it is to me...

Lemme know what you guys think.
I have a basic site up now at www.kinetic-connection.com and I'm in the process of making a nicer one right now. more content, more explaination of repairs etc.

I'm posting ads like this locally: http://chicago.craigslist.org/ele/183679580.html
trying to create a buzz.

Any suggestions?

Bamm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 PM

Re: iPod repairs and a new direction

Man I wish I still had my ipod but it got jacked at school
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:09 PM

if you got any car chargers/transmiters so the music comes out the radio let me know!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777
if you got any car chargers/transmiters so the music comes out the radio let me know!
If Bamm doesn't have them, circuit city or best buys probably will.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Hey man,

I'm interested in an upgraded hard drive, and a new battery in my broken 4th Gen

I already own a 5th gen, but It'd be nice to get the old one up and running again.

How much do you think it would cost to fix up, + Are there any other upgrades you could perform?

Spikey
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 PM

is it me or do the Video ipod batteries suck?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: iPod repairs and a new direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777
...is it me or do the Video ipod batteries suck?
I haven't started doing those yet due to the large volume on the bay that you can buy for $0.01 + $6.99 shipping. That is hard to compete with.
I can also buy them from the distributors like they do, but I don't want to end up stuck with 500 ipod chargers should they not sell.

The video ipod batteries run down quickly if you're running lots of vids due to the fact that one, you're using the backlight all the time, that eats current, plus it takes a little more bandwidth to access the video tracks.
If you're just running music, I've had my 30GB Video last 2 consecutive 8 hour days with some life to spare.

Spike, check your PM
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

sounds like a good side-biz Mike... best of luck. as long as you have an organized system tracking (incoming ipods, outgoing shipments) it should be hassle-free. ...glen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 PM

I think it's a great idea. My iPod has already been replaced by Apple 2 times during the extended warranty period. If it goes out again, which really wouldn't surprise me, I will certainly contact you!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 AM

I got my iPod Video 30 Gig today!!

It is really awsome

Just thought I would announce it since it does have iPod in the title ;P
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 05:07 AM

Cool stuff Bamm. All the best with the business.

Regards

André

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

thx guys.
This all stemmed from the desire to grab a 30 gig Video on the cheap as I didn't think I should pay 400+ for an MP3 player. I got one with a cracked display for $100, found the display for 45, then put it all together. That and working with Doctors who all brought their pods into the O.R. and then dropped them or took them into the ocean on vacation, whatever. I'd be the goto guy, and here we are. Now... lets hope it takes off.

If you guys know anyone who has one, I'll be happy to give'em a quote, estimate, reassurance, etc.

Thanks again, who knows, maybe if this takes off, I can throw a banner ad at the top?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I can't believe this was over a year ago, now.
Still pluggin' along, too
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 11:39 PM

Hey bamm. do you think you could upgrade the older 5th gen ipod screens to to the newer, brighter ones?? Ive been wanting the brighter screen. maybe even a new battery. because the warrenty on my ipod already ended months ago.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

I have both in stock
Check my site...
www.kinetic-connection.com
Honestly, though, the screens aren't worth the upgrade as they munch into your battery life.
Bamm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode