Iran - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Iran

It's on the TV in our house all the time. I don't know what the outcome will be, but it is fascinating to watch unfold; the chance that it could be a revolution for the people there, to actually grant them some power over their lives.

I know there are people here might want to discuss, or just comment, so go ahead. Refrain from the "death to the..." type comments though please.

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Re: Iran

It is the classic battle of the few with the money, guns, and power controlling through brutality, the majority with no guns, money, or power. Same old situation as China, North Korea, etc.

I suspect we will see a very brutal crackdown very shortly. They have already started arresting the family members of anyone speaking out against the government. Those not so politically connected will simply be taken out to the desert and shot. I guarantee you that is happening as we speak.

Control through utter brutality. The best they can hope to do is literally stop working, stop buying anything, make the country come to a stand still economically. It will likely be very painful on us with gas prices. I only hope that if there is change, it is for the better. Remember, the government in place at the moment started out the same way, a revolution. Siege of the US Embassy, etc etc etc

If they shut down the shipping lanes it will get very ugly. Add in the North Korean ship we are following which is undoubtedly full of weapons and possibly nuke material and we may be on the verge of something very very big. It's an interesting time to be in the military.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:41 PM

I'll make a quick prediction...

In the end, the people who don't want the current government overthrown will complain that the US was meddling in their affairs.

The people that do want the government overthrown will complain that the US did not do enough to make it happen.

Another thing that a lot of people don't seem to understand is that in order to get your freedom, you have to have enough people that are willing to die for it. We did, it's how we got our freedom, and a lot of people DID die for it. A lot of countries these days seem to want us to somehow give it to them but they are not willing to lay down their lives (if necessary) for it themselves.

Iran has A LOT of good, peaceful, honest people. I hope their voices are heard and from what it looks like on the news, they do have enough people who are willing to go the distance on this one. Whether any of their policies will change if the regime does is a whole different story.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 PM

Reviews: 21

This is eerily reminiscent of Tienamen Square - oddly almost 20 years later exactly! Reporters kicked out. Ultimatum of "severe consequences" if the crowds don't disperse.
I truly, TRULY hope that this doesn't end up like China, where after hundreds of casualties that the revolution is crushed and all are placed firmly back beneath the bootheel of an oppressive government. I really pray those people can come through this for the better. And them coming through this for the better is also really good for us as well!
If their elections were up to scratch, a public accounting of their polls would be able to withstand the light of day that honesty provides. The Ayathola (who is really in charge) wants it swept under the rug.
The whole asinine thing about all of this is that we're all humans. Ahmedinejad, Kim Xian Il, the PRC, Castro, Chavez, whoever and whatever... it's all about those unwilling to surrender power. I only hope we don't destroy this planet before we can grow out of this childish mode of thought.
It's also great seeing how the net is helping to bring news out of the country, though some of it might not be legit.
The truth's greatest ally, and its greatest enemy, is the Internet!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Reviews: 120

It's a very scary situation, I only hope that not too many people need to die before there is a resolution (good or bad). I hope that freedom and democracy prevails though.

I did read an article this morning about a British think tank trying to make sense of how Ahmeninajad (probably spelt incorrectly - lets call him "I'm a dinner jacket") could have possibly won by such a margin. Of course it all pointed to election fixing.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
In the end, the people who don't want the current government overthrown will complain that the US was meddling in their affairs.

The people that do want the government overthrown will complain that the US did not do enough to make it happen.
Exactly.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Reviews: 25

I wrote a huge reply with excellent points of View, and then just decided to delete it...

IMO the root of the issue is the religion that is controlling the country and not a government seperate from the beliefs of the people....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 PM

I hope a really good Democracy springs from this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
I hope a really good Democracy springs from this.
I hope so too, but I'm betting it won't.
The root of all of this is oil. Humans need to stop using it ASAP!
The Middle East never truly adopted the concept of nationalism. They're still tribes. They're still a system of monarchies built on black gold.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 PM

That is true my friend, I really feel sorry for countries like that though.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I hope it just don't last too long.
Nations may collapse...
But the world will be better, overall.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 AM

I hope we can move on to bigger and better ideas like solar and fusion power and get rid of this oil. Once we take away our need for power (which fusion would do it) then many problems would be met in the world. This is one reason I am probably going to be an engineer and not an M.D.

Even though oil needs to be used in many products other than gasoline still....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 AM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I hope so too, but I'm betting it won't.
The Middle East never truly adopted the concept of nationalism. They're still tribes. They're still a system of monarchies built on black gold.
Not all Middle eastern Countries have black gold.....
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM

The world will stop using oil when there is none left. There is too much money in it and the oil companies can spend an almost unlimited amount stifling any alternative or any regulations. It would also cause a massive collapse of the world econemy (if done too quickly). Not to mention countries like India and China who use ridiculously more than us and are not in a position to even be able to change anytime in the near future. We will find viable alternatives when the oil companies want us to and it won't be until there is almost none left and for sure, they will rule the market in whatever the alternative is. Very very sad.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 AM

In kind of a funny way, it's a lot like the pharmaceutical companies. They don't find the cure, they find the treatment so you will be a customer for life. Oil companies would rather tell us to find ways to use oil more efficiently than work on an alternative. With the amount of money and resources at their disposal, could you imagine how quickly an alternative could be created.

Tags
iran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode