isp broadband speed issues - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

isp broadband speed issues

hey guys what's up. just wondering what isp you have and do you like them, what issues you have had with them, etc. long story short, i used to have comcast for a few years and they were filled with idiots. i will spare you the stories. broadband speeds were always fast and cable tv was good as well but they were too pricey and as with most co's their "service" was lacking if you needed it. after moving into the new home a few months ago i finally was able to get WOW (wideopenwest) and although their reps are a little better, i heard good things and they are a little cheaper, my broadband is more like dialup. i am paying for 4mb download with 512k upload. all tests show i'm getting around 700k download and 210 upload, give or take a few k. that's 3.5mb less than i should be getting. viewing sites takes awhile. bringing up jemsite takes about 30 seconds at times, if it comes up at all. this is everyday. WOW says it is on my side. funny that wasn't the case with comcast. i'm thinking of going back to comcast as much as i hate their "support." i have done all the troubleshooting...taken the router out, swapped cables, reset the modem, done it all. i do IT and networking for the day gig. was curious what your take was. thanks!
steve

Last edited by shredmaster; 11-07-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 PM

Re: isp broadband speed issues

Sorry to hear your having troubles. I have had Comcast Cable for the last 6-7 years or so with little/no complaints.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 1

I have WOW and I have had some pretty good luck with them.
I'll do a Up/down test on toast.net.
Who's modem are you using?
They may need to flash it to open it up for the faster speeds you're asking.
I had to do that when I bought my own and requested the max package from them a few years ago.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

i'm using the same linksys modem i have been using for a few years. the testing is so sporadic, going from 6500mb/s down to 550kbps! 550k !? most sites won't load. as an impulse, last ditch, being fedup for 4 months....i just ordered comcast and will be canceling with wow this week. it will cost me $35 more a month which i can't really afford but i need the speed and not dialup. i will have to lease their modem at $3 a month which i HATE to do since i have my own but at least if i don't get the speed i can really complain since it is their hardware. not to mention, with the cable tv HD package i get HD channels added at no charge as they become available, whereas wow adds charges for new channels to come aboard. forget that. hopefully this fixes things. i have had it with both of them but never had speed issues with comcast. bamm, yes, do the test a few times and let me know what you come up with. it's just not the numbers that bother me, it's the performance. couldn't get to any site last night, even after reboot. took a couple minutes to bring any site up.
thanks
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 PM

You might have issues with your local node.
I'd call them up and complain, they are generally quick to respond.
Why pay more if you don't have to.
I am in the middle of downloading a linux ISO and still got 3.5MB on toast's site.
It does vary from site to site, but nothing below 1.5 MB, call their support line, see what they can do for ya!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 PM

I did have a problem once the dude could not fix and was going to get another tech dude to come look at. Then it occured to me could it be the cable in the room. The tech dude had said that the sig comming into the house was fine btw. So I took the cable out of my cable box and put it into my cable modem and all was fixed. Perhaps you have a bad cable in your house. Even thou there were no visual defects in the cable it was still bad.

Hope that helps, I feel your pain. After years of fast net stuff I could not handle slow connections. Speed is an addiction.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 PM

We have BellSouth at work and Comcast at home. BellSouth is pretty fast, though we pay through the nose for the whole office. Our Comcast at home is much faster. We've only had a few minor technical problems and those were due to having a really old house with a really old cable box. A quick fix of a cable and some connection at the box, and viola! The phone folks have always been very nice and if we need someone to come out it is always the next day. We rent the equipment for like $4 a month more and they trade in and upgrade every so often with no extra... and if our system ever gets fried from lightening or something they replace it without charge. Same for our HD box.

Sure it costs about $130 a month for cable, internet with 2 IPs, HDTV and whatnot, but since that is really about all we spend on entertainment every month, it ain't so bad. Not to mention they have the highest speeds for internet and the band/business stuff requires LOTS of internet stuff.

SO yeah, no complaints with Comcast. BellSouth is also okay (provided you live in the South). The folks are in Georgia and they are confined to Charter. They hate it. Hate the service, doesn't work half the time, it is only 1/3 of the speed of Comcast... and it is more expensive.

I think my coworker has his network through Dish Network. He's always raving about his TV, but not much else. So I dunno there.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Oh, yeah, you have a new place, it is not unheard of for the guys to run staples through the cables that are NOW in the walls...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the points guys. i replaced the cable and such and it's the same. i'm testing download speeds of 654 -745k tonight. i'm paying for 4mb and i'm stuck with 700k. comcast dude will be here this friday. i really don't want to spend $35 more a month but if i get the speed it is worth it. with all the photos i upload to my lab...it is needed! i also like the HD deal they have. WOW wants $10 more a month for 6 more channels in HD! whereas comcast just gives them to you as they become available, for $10 a month. they don't charge as more channels come out, like WOW does. that's stupid. i got the $99 for phone internet and tv for 12 months. i will not use the phone, as i have not had a house phone since 1999. cell phone only. it was cheaper to get the phone than just tv and internet. another thing i hate about WOW is they only cover up to 3 pc's for antivirus. i have 4 machines and am about to introduce a 5th! they are not covered. that in itself is reason to leave. i even offered to pay more for the coverage and they wouldn't do it. they said i need to uninstall it from 2 other machines. how does that help me?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM

comcast's guys are idiots. plain idiots. It takes 10 minutes of wait time to talk to a guy on the phone, AFTER putting in your "10 digit phone number" 25 times. Then you get to the person and they tell you
"Please sir, restart your computer"
Me "I've DONE that"
Sales rep "hmmm weird. Are all the lights on on the router?"
Me " YES!!! i'm telling you, nothing's wrong on my side of things"
SP "Sir, try restarting your router, that'll fix it"
Me "DID THAT 30 MINUTES AGO! Ma'am, i've been doing this kinda thing for a long time, i know what i'm doing. nothing is wrong on my hardware"
SP, after ignoring my comment "Please sir, now unplug your modem, and let it sit like that for 1 minute, then plug it back in"
Me "I've done that I TOLD YOU"
SP "I'll be back in about 2 minutes so you can do the modem thing"
me "WAT???" to no one of course
SP" hey i'm back, is everything working"
Me "no it's not, duh!"
SP "Must be something in the lines, i'll send a guy out there"
Me "i did tell u that.... how long will it take?"
SP "He'll probably come sometime in the next week"
ME "WAT!!???"
SP "that's all i can do for you"
Me "whatever. btw, your service SUCKS. it took me 10 minutes to get through all the machines asking me 20 times to enter in my 10 digit phone number to get to you"
SP "hmmm, i didn't know"
Me "Of course you didn't, you don't have to go through the same thing i do"
"sorry for that"
"w.e, thanks for... nothing. bye"

that's how it usually goes....
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 PM

I used to have Pacific Bell (which of course became AT&T), and had rather poor and unpredictable service from their DSL. Every couple of years, the line would just stop working. They would come out, go through their whole routine. In the end (every time) they would simply move it from the dead line, to an unused one.
So, the final time, the tech actually told me the truth.
We were on the very edge of possible service (for DSL, that is), and the fact that we had any was actually impressive. And our 400-500 K speed was "acceptable" under the circumstances, since service wasn't even guranteed in our area. He suggested I wait for the upgrade they were considering doing.
There were talks of replacing our 50 year old phone lines with fiber optic.
He just wasn't sure when that would happen...

That day, I called TWC and scheduled them to come out and install their Roadrunner service. I also called AT&T and told them to just cancel their service. Heck, it wasn't working anyway.
The guy on the phone said he found our speed to be "amazing", and couldn't understand why we would want to switch.
I told him that the speed was way too slow, and the reliability a joke.
He proceeded to offer me the same service that I already had, but at a reduced rate.
"So, let's see...You think I should continue with your 'spotty' (at best) service, which is slower than snot, but I'll save 10 bucks?"
I couldn't help but chuckle...
With TWC, I went from 400-500 KB, to 8-11 MB, while paying 5 bucks less than I had with AT&T.

I'm a happy camper now.
Heck, I'm even pitching a tent!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 AM

This is on wireless with 2 comps, hardwired I have peaked 12k...

In about 6 months I hopefully get to beta test our 16 meg service!! I can't wait.

No, people in Georgia are not confined to Charter at all, theres other companies willing to give them service like:

Adelphia
Comcast Cable
CommuniComm Services
Mediacom
Time Warner Cable
US Cable
as well as Dish...

Depending on the exact area of course, but theres always 2 or more due to gov rules.

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 11-08-2007 at 01:18 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 AM

Shred, have you called out WOW to check on the signal?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM

I'm running at 18 mbps....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:02 AM

Local server

MN

CA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode