Itunes/Mac questions... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Itunes/Mac questions...

A while ago, I started a thread asking pros and cons of a Mac vs a PC and it turned into a **** storm. Please don't let this one end up the same way, I simply have a couple of questions regarding Itunes, and I just happened to have purchased a Mac recently.

Question #1: I just put my music on an external hard drive and am in the process of putting it on my Mac. What's the easiest way to put the music in Itunes? Drop and drag, copy and paste? I know that sounds stupid, but it leads to my next question #2: If I drop and drag or whatever, the music shows up in Itunes and also wherever I transferred it from, for instance, My Music. My question is, is the song now on my hard drive twice, taking up twice the space? Once it's in Itunes, do I have to go to, say, My Music and delete it from there to free up space?

Also, can WMVs be played on a Mac? If so, how? (sorry, guess that's questions # 3 and 4)

I hope I made some kind of sense, and thanks in advance.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Re: Itunes/Mac questions...

Also, any Mac guys use Limewire? Anything I should know?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 PM

1. To add stuff to iTunes I just use "add to library"
2. In Finder you can see Music stored in the Music folder
3 & 4. To play wmv download flip4mac - its a free plug-in for Quicktime
5. I don't use Limewire - it's illegal
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mark. Could you elaborate on #1, I'm brand new to this Mac and I feel like a retard. And again, I know I see the song is in finder, but is it using twice the space being in both Itunes, and My Music? Do I need to delete it from finder to free up space on my hard drive?

Thanks, I'll download flip4mac.

And being a Police Officer, I would never do anything illegal, but say my criminal buddy wanted to utilize Limewire on his Mac, is there anything he should know?

Thanks again,

J
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

limewire is simply a stupid idea. being a bad criminal. the kind that leaves his drivers license at the crime scene and pukes for good measure & dna testing.

if you want to steal and we can't change your mind i offer these alternates... used cds from local shops, your library (tons of free CD rentals) or usenet... glen
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:40 PM

To add to the library I just use File - Add to library and select the folder/file to add.

You should check the folder iTunes uses to store music using Preferences - advanced. The default location is Music - iTunes - iTunes Music. You can delete music elsewhere on your hard disk as its not in your iTunes library.

I hope this helps out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM

you can also consolidate your music onto the hardrive from the external one. this probably makes sense as this is where any new cds or songs will be put once you import them into itunes in the future. then just delete the other ones or use it as a backup device. especially if your using 10.5 which now has that time portal thingy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM

With a MAC, you can simply drag-and-drop the songs from their existing location (external hard-drive, for example), and it will use it from there.
Also, if your external is your main location, you can set the default location in iTunes to be that drive. That means, if you drag a song from your desktop, it will add it to your iTunes library on the external drive. Once it's added, you can delete it from the desktop.

A MAC does not double up on the file unless you want it to. Like I said before, add a song from your desktop, and then keep it there? Then you will have two copies.

Tags
music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to get itunes files back
how many songs itunes got?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode