I've started to learn to play piano - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Smile I've started to learn to play piano

I've started learning to play the piano! I've got a KORG TR-61 since a few weeks which is really great. It sounds amazing.

Anyway, I've started to learn all the scales on the keyboard. It's a bit different than on the guitar... I think it's more simple to see. Because they are just small patterns that repeat themselves all across the keyboard. Also chords aren't hard to see... But the way it feels is so much different than the guitar. My right hand is a lot more rigid than my left hand, obviously, so it feels kind of weird. It's still hard for me to have my hands playing independently. But I've only been practising seriously for a few days, so..

Anyway, I'm very excited. Does anybody else play the piano?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Re: I've started to learn to play piano

I started my journey in the music world with a piano. I got bored of it very quickly though, and found it took a while to get anything decent together. Having a basic knowledge formed on a piano has made learning guitar easier for me too, and it's made teaching easier too.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Reviews: 13

I always wanted to learn piano.
But eventually I became a guitarist.
Learn piano is still on my plans, though.
In fact, I'm constantly afraid of becoming a keyboardist, so much I love those keys!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 AM

Having te right and left hands working independently is really difficult for me.

I think the piano is a really good way of understanding theory. Good luck Alwin !!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 05:36 AM

Reviews: 4

Piano has always been my instrument that I played when nothing else was available, and it comes naturally to me. Scales are heasy to figure out and what would be an sweep arp that would take hours to master on guitar is much easier to play fluently on piano.

Good on you! Don't let it distract you to much from the best instrument ever...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins345669 View Post
I started my journey in the music world with a piano. I got bored of it very quickly though, and found it took a while to get anything decent together. Having a basic knowledge formed on a piano has made learning guitar easier for me too, and it's made teaching easier too.
For me, it's other way around. It really helps big time to a have basic knowledge when you start to play any instrument, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
Having te right and left hands working independently is really difficult for me.

I think the piano is a really good way of understanding theory. Good luck Alwin !!!
Yeah, it's tough at first. I started to practice this and I came up with this exercize in E Lydian. So I play that very slowly all the time now. But that exercize in E Lydian has this really cool sound. So it's growing into a piece I'm writing now which is going to be called Glide. It's really cool.

Anyway, I find this the hardest thing to learn up to this point. But I'll get it down. It just takes a lot of time and practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
Good on you! Don't let it distract you to much from the best instrument ever...
Which is? Just kidding.

I'll tell you that I haven't been playing guitar as much as I used to, in quite a while now. I remember the other day I picked my Pacifica up and I was actually rusty. Which I haven't been in many years. I really had to get back into it a bit. I should try to prevent that from happening in the future.

But I'm having the greatest time with my Korg. I've also been listening to classical pieces due to me having started to play piano. I've already discovered some amazing pieces like this one from Beethoven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5tSA8suHQ

It's pretty amazing. Does anybody happen to have any recommendations, regarding some good piano music/pieces that are worth looking into?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 11:11 AM

14th Moonlight Sonata in C minor, of course and Piano Concerto no.5 in Eb major. Both Beethoven.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Merci, monsieur. C'est très intéressant. I knew about the Moonlight sonata. I assume you've seen Stu Hamm play that on the bass as well? It's somewhere in here in the unlikely case you haven't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_od0vIQ7wwU

It's a beautiful piece. But I've never heard the whole thing. I haven't heard the other Beethoven piece at all. I'll check it out.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 06:29 PM

I'm so glad you found that Stu Ham link! I found that on old video google a while ago then it disappeared and I've been wanting it back since, thanks!

Je suis aussi trés heureux que vous aimiez mes suggestions.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm so glad you found that Stu Ham link! I found that on old video google a while ago then it disappeared and I've been wanting it back since, thanks!
Yeah, it's an awesome solo.

Quote:
Je suis aussi trés heureux que vous aimiez mes suggestions.
Wow, you're French is pretty good. I took a course a few years back but I kind of got stuck at a certain point. And I didn't find the time to keep working on it. But my approach to learning it was all wrong anyway, so.. Anyway, I should pick it up again. It's a very cool language.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
Wow, you're French is pretty good. I took a course a few years back but I kind of got stuck at a certain point. And I didn't find the time to keep working on it. But my approach to learning it was all wrong anyway, so.. Anyway, I should pick it up again. It's a very cool language.
Thanks. I'm studying it for A level at the moment, and having grown up in Belgium, have a bit of a natural ear for it. That was the first time I've got to use a subjunctive in conversation outside of an exam xD
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I remembered you mentioning your A level in another thread. So that's why I threw a little French in there. lol
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:36 PM

I play piano, too. It actually helps a lot with guitar playing by developing better control with both hands. It also helps when you hit a mental block on the guitar.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

learning to play piano is a great idea.once your good at it you will never be short of work,a few times ive tried to get a band together but a keyboard player was very difficult to find.piano is easier that guitar,good luck with your new venture dude

Tags
piano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode