Jem 20th an inspiration? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Jem 20th an inspiration?

Ok Guitar World called this a "masterpiece"... Is it just me or does it seem more than just a little "inspired by" the Jem 20th?

http://www.guitarworld.com/review-br...scorpion-elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Jem 20th an inspiration?

Interesting.
Can Ibanez sue the way they were sued in the 70's?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I particularly liked how the description talks about the inspiration coming from lucite Dan Armstrong guitars from the 60's... Meanwhile it has a vine inlay that is a slightly expanded version of Iby's vine inlay. I mean, I know lucite bodies have been experimented with for quite a while, but a lucite strat-shaped body with a 24-fret vine-inlay neck... And absolutely no mention of the Jem 20th? Seems like a conspicuously absent comparison...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 120

I see no reason why its inspired by the JEM 20th. Ibanez weren't the first with a vine inlay, nor were they first with a lucite body.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I see no reason why its inspired by the JEM 20th. Ibanez weren't the first with a vine inlay, nor were they first with a lucite body.
Both points true. But to have that combination and quote other "influences" but not the most recent, most similarly styled guitar seemed odd to me. Not a big deal, just odd...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Reviews: 120

Not everyone is into Jems and pays attention to them. The maker first saw the lucite guitar in the sixties when Keith Richards was using them. I don't think the maker really listens to Vai.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that is perfectly valid. I just think that if a maker decided "Hey, I remember those lucite guitars from the 60's and wanna try making one..." even a cursory research into what has been done in that arena would pull up the Jem20 as one of the most recent examples. Wasn't there a lucite JS a few years ago also? So I was surprised Iby wasn't mentioned at all since they produced te. Most recent high-end lucite guitars.

At any rate I was more surprised the column seemed to pitch it as this crazy innovative thing and I was just kinda like what's the big deal?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Reviews: 4

Washburn made tinted lucite guitars too, if memory serves.

That's an interesting guitar.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 AM

Reviews: 11

That guitar looks so dumb. Too dull/flashy at the same time. That axe is missing a chromosome imo
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Very true but the Jem 20th put them together.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM

the knock off Lucite Jems were out before the 20th anniversary, so its been done before the 20ths...

Lucite is nothing new, and the vine inlay Ibanez stole from guitars many many moons ago.

Its nothing new. Ibanez doesnt have squat to sit on, and the guitar personally looks nothing like a Jem so I highly doubt it was inspired by or trying to cop some ibanez vibe.

In the real world Ibanez are seen as cookie cutter guitars. Shredders, metal heads machines, not versatile, etc.

Clearly the guitar was inspired by a strat, 3 single coils, 5 way, etc.

SHORT VERSION:
This thread is dumb.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
the knock off Lucite Jems were out before the 20th anniversary, so its been done before the 20ths...

Lucite is nothing new, and the vine inlay Ibanez stole from guitars many many moons ago.

Its nothing new. Ibanez doesnt have squat to sit on, and the guitar personally looks nothing like a Jem so I highly doubt it was inspired by or trying to cop some ibanez vibe.

In the real world Ibanez are seen as cookie cutter guitars. Shredders, metal heads machines, not versatile, etc.

Clearly the guitar was inspired by a strat, 3 single coils, 5 way, etc.

SHORT VERSION:
This thread is dumb.
Ibbys have that reputation over here in Japan, but the funny thing is, the thin necks are desired over here by chicks because they can get their hands around the neck... But most heavier guitarists over here use ESP. Go figure, Fujigen and Ibanez get ignored even though there are MIJ... Stupid "America makes things better" crap.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM

I wish Ibanez would do a solid color lucite RG like BC Rich did several years ago with their Warlocks. A solid lucite green, blue, or red RG would be awesome.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I wish Ibanez would do a solid color lucite RG like BC Rich did several years ago with their Warlocks. A solid lucite green, blue, or red RG would be awesome.
I wish they would stop making all black and white guitars and do some more blue/red stuff. The fact the Iron labels are all white/black is enough. We need some more candy apples like there used to be.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:38 PM

In 2008 they put out a Candy Apple RG1570. You can probably find this NOS in many people's inventory for cheap. Rich might have a few. That and the CA RG321 can be found with some frequency on the bay in new or like new condition.

Tags
20th , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode