Jemsite Photography Contest #2 - NATURE Category - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Cool Jemsite Photography Contest #2 - NATURE Category

Welcome one and all to the second Jemsite Photography Contest!

This contest will be based STRICTLY off of pictures of NATURE.

You may include any of the following:

a. Scenes from NATURE
b. Flowers
c. Trees
d. Mountains
e. Forests
f. If you have any more questions about what to include, please ask IN THIS THREAD. You are PROHIBITED from entering more than picture. The pictures MUST be on-topic, or they will not be included.

With the picture, YOU MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING (or your pictures will NOT be included in the contest!!!)

1. "Title of Picture"
2. Your first name, last initial
3. Approximate date of picture
4. A detailed explanation from PHOTOGRAPHIC STANDPOINT (include equipment, aperature/shutter/focus)
5. A detailed explanation from an ARTISTIC STANDPOINT (include what you were aiming to capture, where the picture was shot, why you captured it, etc.)

Again, PLEASE include ALL of this information or your picture WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE CONTEST!!!!

I'm only emphasizing this because in the last contest people submitted photos that were NOT in the category and they left out tons of information. My directions weren't as clear as they could have been... Soo... Here we go!

We will accept fifteen pictures, because the poll that Jemsite members will choose the winner from can only hold FIFTEEN options.

If you have questions, PLEASE let me know!
Good luck, and let the competition begin!

~ Katrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 02:18 AM

Re: Jemsite Photography Contest #2 - NATURE Category

1.) Title of Picture = Pot of ~GOLD~
2.) Your first name, last initial = Jim C.
3.) Approximate date of picture = Approx 3 Saturdays ago.
4.) A detailed explanation from PHOTOGRAPHIC STANDPOINT (include equipment, aperature/shutter/focus) = Taken looking out my front door. Cheap camera...no idea what the aperature/shutter/focus) was
5.) A detailed explanation from an ARTISTIC STANDPOINT (include what you were aiming to capture, where the picture was shot, why you captured it, etc.) = I was looking for a pot of gold....hence the title

And.........if not knowing the (aperature/shutter/focus) of the camera, doesn't get me disqualified, I'm sure the fact that I removed the semi necked fairie from the right side will!

post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 06:09 AM

Holy crap!! Is that pic for real?? If that ain't been photoshopped or some other cunning ploy then theres no point anyone else entering Thats awesome
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 06:56 AM

Darrell Lapointe
Taken at NB Botanical Gardens in Edmonston NB. Canada
Camera Canon 300D
Lens Canon 50mm 1.8
Shutter 0.3 sec
Exposure Manual
F-stop f/18
ISO 100
Focal Lenth 50mm
Flash did not fire

Last edited by Rotti; 10-05-2006 at 06:05 AM.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 08:05 AM

Reviews: 3

1. "Big Drip"
2. Jay R.
3. 3/26/2003
4. Minolta Dimage 5 - F/3.4, 1/45sec shutter, ISO200, built-in flash on and held by hand
5. This was taken on a walking tour of the Natural Bridge caves in the San Antonio, TX area. There were a lot of really neat pieces of natural architecture there and I was trying to get some unusual looking perspectives of them.

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 11:35 AM

That waterfall is sick! I have a decent digital camera, but never take much time to figure out how to use it. I think I'm inspired to now!
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Holy crap!! Is that pic for real?? If that ain't been photoshopped or some other cunning ploy then theres no point anyone else entering Thats awesome
No fixing andy. Straight outta my front door with my cheap digi cam. (Canon Powershot A95) It's nice to live in a forest I don't believe in photoshoping (or any other computerized inhancements) To me, photography should be pure, natural and unretouched (is that a word??)

Besides....I'd have no idea how to even begin "fixing" a photo

If you can't get it right out of the camera without modifiying it, you shouldn't be taking a picture in the first place

That waterfall is Rotti!
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

WOW!!!
All three of these entries are amazing!!
Jim, I would SOOOO love to be in your forest right now! That picture is INCREDIBLE!!!!
Rotti, your waterfall looks like you took it RIGHT from paradise!
Jay Ratowski, your "Big Drip" looks like it'll be a big picture in the contest!

All three of these are MIND boggling!
Thank you, also, to all three of you for posting ALL of the information!
This is going to be GREAT!!!

~ Katrina
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 PM

"Cherry Blossoms"
Scott B.
April 2003
Olympus D-380 Digital 2.0 Mp handheld auto
I shot this pic from the deck in my backyard on the second day of blooming. It was shot from just under the edge of the tree's canopy. The cherry tree overhangs a portion of the deck, producing about a bushel of cherrys each year. I was trying to capture the branch tips reaching toward the heavens.

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 09:00 PM

The only nature pictures I ever take are on my boat. Unfortunately, they are all taken with my Nokia Camera Phone as I fish and play in salt water and do not want to ruin a good camera. Because of this I understand if my picture is not accepted, but I'll submit it anyway:

1. "SUNSET ON THE WATER"
2. James H.
3. May, 2006
4. Nokia 6202 Camera Phone
5. After a day of fishing I always try to finish off with some sunset shots and wildlife shots. In this one, there is a gull in the water as a beautiful Sunset with criss-cross clouds is happening.

post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 PM

1. "Autumn"
2. Pawel J.
3. October-November 2005
4. Nikon F65 analog SLR, stock lens, can't remember the settings now
5. This was taken during a walk in a Warsaw park last autumn. I like this shot because the sun was low, and you can see the rays deflected by the trees and the long shadows creating an interesting texture on the ground together with the leaves (which is why I made sure that there is more of the ground visible than there usually should be in a composition like this). I also like the ambiguity of how the three shadows on the ground lined up compared to where the sun is - it seems almost as if the sun was actually behnd the camera, which is interesting. Taking pictures against the sun is usually a no-no, but I like doing it, especially when the sun interacts with objects that only partially obstruct it.

post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:48 AM

Reviews: 1

"Boarding from Zakinthos"
Bammbamm
July 2005
Nikon Coolpics 995, auto mode, no zoom, IR filter only, 1/500 exposure, raw daylight.

The only reason the boat is in the pic is to add stark contrast to the gradient change in the water. This was during a trip to the shipwreck on Zakinthos, a Greek Isle that I'm sure the members across the pond know of.
One of the blueist and most amazing places I've ever visited to date.

If the boat isn't allowed, let me know and I'll substitue, it just adds contrast.

Bamm

post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:49 AM

These are all great! More!!
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 AM

Yes!!! I love nature! Keep those pics coming
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 AM

Wow, these are all awesome, getting better and better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode