Jemsite's changed... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Jemsite's changed...

When I first started viewing Jemsite threads a few years back, I loved this site. Everyone was really cool, and the conversations that went on were awesome.
But as time has been passing this site has changed alot, and personally, I think it used to be better.
It seems now, alot of people have attitudes, or holier than thou mind sets, and it makes posting kind of unpleasant. I mean, this is the only guitar related site I'm apart of (I'm on quite a few) where people are constantly correcting each other and "guarding" parts of the forum. Heaven forbid some one ask a question that's been asked before, there's 20 guys (with in 8 minutes) who are flaming the guy saying "do a search", "duh, go back through the forum" or answering the question in a degrading matter. I've only noticed those types of reactions here.
The classified section is a little out of hand at times, but it seems to work well so I won't say anything. I will say that this is the only site where 40 people come out and post things like "If you're not going to buy the item, don't post in the classified section" and stuff of that nature.

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but these are things I have noticed that have changed over the years, and I don't care for them. I've noticed alot of guys that used to post alot on this site don't do so any more, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was partially due to the reasons I've listed.
I still like this site alot, and it's very useful for getting information on IBZ guitars or getting a players opinion on piece of gear, or review on a movie, show, cd etc etc. I think Glen has put together a great site, and I hope it could be more like a friendly gathering of people (like in a guitar shop) like it used to be.

Thanks for listening to the rant.
Nik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:56 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Jemsite's changed...

nostalgia makes things in the past seem better. Realize it's been 9 years now... we all change and helping that along is time and 10k members later. The internet and how it operates has changed... people come and go. Consider if you were posting here 8 years ago from college well you're in a different time and space today! To hit on one point from above, i'm sorta glad everyone helps tidy up the classifieds... takes some of the gring out of keeping the forum running But i think it always comes down to knowing when it's time to take a little vacation from here and check back later (weeks, months, year?), rather than hanging around a little longer than what is good for everyone. YMMV... glen
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 AM

Hear hear - a great site - really in the time I have been a member Jemsite has been a pretty fabulous mixture of information, advice, help and an almost uniformly great sense of humour - and very well run might I add - a credit to the administrators/moderators who put in the hard yards!

Kind Regards,

David.
post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 AM

It is still a friendly gathering of people here Nik The greatest!!

I do hear your rant and know what you are saying, but you also have to realize there are a LOT of NOT so friendly people out there that like to take advantage of situations. Too many unfortunetly

As far as people correcting people, that's a good thing isn't it?? I mean....you don't come to a guitar related website to get the wrong info do you??

When you have a site as successful/popular as Jemsite, you have to take measures to keep it that way. Especially in todays WWW day and age!

Check me out actually acting like I know what I'm talkin about
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:35 AM

I have noticed there have been a few "harsher" people joined in the past few months, they could do with learning the word "diplomatic" and then there wouldn't be a problem with that I think. But true enough, that's the big wide world and you're going to get people from all walks of life throwing their 2 cents in.

Personally, I've started to find the classifieds pretty funny. I mean, I've got an advert up there with about 150 hits or so, and you can bet your bottom dollar that about half were looking just so they could go "OMFG n00b, post your location!" or "WTF? post a price!!!1!".

Honestly, I think this site should have a big disclaimer on it saying "Take everything said on this forum with a pinch of salt." because people take things to heart and that's what starts the flaming.
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
I have noticed there have been a few "harsher" people joined in the past few months, they could do with learning the word "diplomatic" and then there wouldn't be a problem with that I think..

Hence two new mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
Personally, I've started to find the classifieds pretty funny. I mean, I've got an advert up there with about 150 hits or so, and you can bet your bottom dollar that about half were looking just so they could go "OMFG n00b, post your location!" or "WTF? post a price!!!1!".
Lol....

Rules are there for a reason. Whats so hard about following them
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:55 AM

It's just a shame about only a 1/5 of the people here read them.
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 AM

IbanezPrestigeBoy:

If you think that Jemsite is a bad site I suggest you take a look at the Ultimate-Guitar forum...(If you survive to tell me what you think of course)

BLAKK:JAKK
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 AM

I just think there's little new in the Jem/RG department--hasn't been for a while. And there's really not a whole lot from Ibanez either for that matter. Considering that this site is primarily about Jems, I think that's why people have moved on. You can only talk about the same thing so many times. That's also why people are told to use the search function. They're aren't many questions that haven't been answered already. It does get tiring answering the same questions repeatedly.

Glen is right about tastes changing too. My Jems hardly see the light of day since buying my J-Custom.

I think this place is still cool, so you're stuck with my ugly mug for a while The internet as whole is rife with generally rude and inconsiderate people. You're going to have to deal with them here and and probably every other site with even a modicum of popularity. One of the reasons I still like it here is because the mods here are better than most (in my experience) about dealing with them.

-My 2 cents...
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 AM

Talk about flaming. Go check out metaltabs.com.
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam
Talk about flaming. Go check out metaltabs.com.
try blabbermouth .

All in all jemsite is still a very cool place .

Regards

André

post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:07 PM

^All in all jemsite is still a PARADISE comparing to Ultimate-Guitar and Blabbermouth...

BLAKK:JAKK
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM

I was a member here back in 1998 thru 2000, and back then I was playing my guitar alot more. I didn't come back here again till 2004 and noticed alot of the "regulars" were gone. (People I had met at Jemfest 2001).
I have met a few people here though I would consider friends, so it keeps me coming back even though I don't play guitar like I used to.
I hear where you are coming from about some people on here, but I think its like anything in life, you meet some you like and some you don't.
All you can do is try to focus on the positives and do you part to make Jemsite a better place.

post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:24 PM

I admit that it does irk me when people ask questions that a search would have answered, just because we end up with so many identical threads that way. I've answered so many of my own questions using that little search box!

The moderation on this site is, I think, pretty much perfect. Never oppressive when there is lively debate, but quick to nail those who are just being unpleasant.
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Dee

I haven't been here all that long, but from my experience so far it's a pretty cool place. Moderation is good. Having been a moderator / admin myself on about 5 boards since 2000, I understand the things that get a moderator fired up, but these guys are cool. JJEMMER has been particularly nice. Thanks for that. All in all there are a whole lot more friendly people here than unfriendly ones. There is one particular person I don't like much, he's one of the top posters and seems to look down his nose at some of us, but I can get over it.

I don't own a Jem, btw, but I have been an Ibanez user for almost 2 decades. My main reason for being here is the community. Certain heads are very cool people, I haven't seen a lot of pricks, but if I do, I ignore them and, as someone else said, take them with a pinch of salt. It's up to us to make it a nice place, though. If you feel it's getting stale, post something interesting! If you find it boring, go do something else for a while and come back another day. All in all, this is a great site.

Oh by the way, if I say something silly (I usually do), it's 99.9% of the time said in jest. I like to act silly. Sometimes I might come across as being harsh, but please don't take it that way.

Tags
guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , les paul , local music store , locking stud , locking studs , music store , paul gilbert , sam ash , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode