Job Hunting Disappointment - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Job Hunting Disappointment

I'm really trying to not lose my mojo, but my spirits were crushed yesterday when I didn't get a job that I was applying for. I was sought out on CareerBuilder.com by an agency that thought the job was perfect for my skill.
I put so much work into trying to land this position. I bought a new computer set-up a while back, a new suit and shoes, books on Excel spreadsheet, ...
I went for 2 interviews with this company: the first I met with 3 people and the second I met 13 and was there 2 1/2 hours.

I did my very best at the interview, let my sparkling personality shine through, and they seemed to really like me. The decision was b/n me and one other candidate. I can't believe I came so close.

So I went out last night and got trashed to celebrate. I have a job now, but it is only a job to me and it is temp work. I'm trying to not let this set-back phase me, but I'm a little depressed about it. I work in the laboratory field and all these jobs seem to be going contract these days.

Sorry, I guess I just needed a shoulder to cry on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Re: Job Hunting Disappointment

Hey, no problem, I just happen to need someone who wants to cry on my shoulder.

I searched for a full-time job for years. I sent out dozens of resumes and even learned Adobe Illustrator so I could design and write a portfolio with pictures of my work. I finally went back to college, finished my degree, and began working part-time for the organization where I currently work full-time.

I know exactly how you feel and all I can say is try not to take it personally. Keep it up and apply, search, network, call, ask, don't give up. Also, I began sending those who rejected me a warm and sincere thank-you note and even asked them straight out why I was rejected. I phrased it like, "how did I fall short of your vision of your ideal candidate?" "How would you recommend I improve to sucessfully improve to earn such a position in the future?" Sometimes I learned some valuable information.

Best of luck to you . . . you deserve it!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Not being hired for a job is a form of rejection, and no one likes rejection.

It sounds like you really care about getting things put together for you to land a successful career. It can be quite a disappointment when things don't turn out how you like them or how you expect them.

I know this is a cliche, but everything happens for a reason. I have way too many examples of how this is true. I am in quite a predicament myself, but it seems like things are going to work out pretty well.

Just keep your head up and don't think that the effort you spent was wasted. It sounds to me like you made a good effort, and if you take that mentality with you to the next job, others will see the effort that you put forward and it will pay off.
jaxadam is online  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I know this is a cliche, but everything happens for a reason.
Not only is it cliched, it's not true. Some things are just random and meaningless. Most people who say this nowadays say it to make themselves feel better.

By the way, Jaxadam, I agree with the rest of your post. Very compassionate and good advice.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Not only is it cliched, it's not true. Some things are just random and meaningless. Most people who say this nowadays say it to make themselves feel better.

By the way, Jaxadam, I agree with the rest of your post. Very compassionate and good advice.
Well lately that cliche has been holding very true. I used to not believe it, either. Example:

My buddy was at my house this weekend. Well, after a while, he started losing it; literally going crazy.

Two of my friends tried to take him home, and they had to pull over. The cops came and told my friends to just take him home to pass out. Well, it escalated further and he was arrested.

He started passing out in the cop car, so they took him to the hospital.

It turns out he had a brain aneurysm, and had to have emergency brain surgery. If he would have gone home to "pass out", he would have died.

So even though it's unfortunate to get arrested, it saved his life. Everything happens for a reason.
jaxadam is online  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 PM

Don't dwell on the other person who got the job think of the other eleven canidates for the position that you got selected over. You should discretely follow up and pay another visit to let "them"...i.e. your prospective Employers and let them know that if the man or woman they choose does not pan out you might be available in the future. Employers are more impressed by people that commit, follow through and stay on track than those with an impressive resume or those who interview well. Often the person who gets the job is the best at getting a job not the best person for the job.
I'm self employed but I always remember the story of Michael Jordan-he NEVER GOT TO PLAY IN JR HIGH OR THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL-He beat out someone for a varsity post as a SENIOR-He used to use the guys name who bested him as a junior later in life when he checked into hotels so he would never forget that experience. Woolworth went bankrupt with dozens of businesses till he created the concept of the department store. Abraham Lincoln tried dozens of times to get elected into public office-he only managed to pull it off three times: once as senator and twice as President: I think we can all all agree the world would be a very different place if let dissapointment beat him down. Winston Churchill was a mediocre student and a financial nightmare(he was always in debt during his life)-He became Prime Minister due to everyone feeling they would'nt be able to control the other two canidates-history has proven time and time again to be very careful who you write off; they just might change the world. As Chuck Liddell found out at ufc 71 ; its not the man in the fight-its the fight in the man. Sadly the most creative people are often the most easily discouraged and the brightest the unhappiest because they can't deal with setbacks.
Having read your posts I see you think very quickly and have a sharp wit about you: these are not the qualities of someone who accepts the hand that life deals them.
All the best to you in the near future,
Tony
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 PM

Sorry to hear what happened. It does suck getting the call saying you did not get the job. I had those LONG interviews and ended with the rejection phone call. I lost count with how many resumes, cover letters, and job applications I sent out. Finding a new job is a tough battle, but very normal to get rejected a few to many times.

A couple weeks ago I FINALLY landed a job in Human Resources after one year of interviews and applications. I hope that doesn't discourage you with how long it took me, but instead encourages you to hang in there and keep searching for the job you want. It will come within time. Just need to get back up and brush yourself off.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 PM

arg I'm job hunting tomorrow, running around getting applications and crap >_<. I'm sorry to hear what happened.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 PM

Take it from an experienced job hunter - you will do the best in the interview if you don't give a sh1t. Now, this is subtle. You need to show the employer that you want the job, without this no one will hire you. At the same time you should not appear desperate, and under no circumstances should you tell them they're the only ones. You should also be calm and know that not getting a particular job is sometimes a good thing. What if your boss would be a micromanaging assh0le? What if you got hired only to get fired during layoffs? You're actually in the best position when you already work somewhere and interview for another job, because in this case you know you'll have money to pay bills even if you don't get accepted.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I know you guys are right. Your saying some of the same things that I have been saying to myself, such as "everything in life happens for a reason". And I am glad that I have a job while I'm looking, because being dirt broke is no fun at all, but it is exhausting, hard work performing one job (in my case learning a new job) while trying to line up interviews and scramble around hunting, too. I have been dead tired lately. It is also complicated lining up job interviews when your working dayshift hours.

I'm in a better position now than I was at the crappy job I just left. I worked there for 2 years, and the people I worked with were not pleasant to work with. Granted, my 1st check I will get Friday will be a little less $ than I'm accustomed to receiving.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYEARKID View Post
Don't dwell on the other person who got the job think of the other eleven canidates for the position that you got selected over. You should discretely follow up and pay another visit to let "them"...i.e. your prospective Employers and let them know that if the man or woman they choose does not pan out you might be available in the future. Employers are more impressed by people that commit, follow through and stay on track than those with an impressive resume or those who interview well. Often the person who gets the job is the best at getting a job not the best person for the job.
I'm self employed but I always remember the story of Michael Jordan-he NEVER GOT TO PLAY IN JR HIGH OR THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL-He beat out someone for a varsity post as a SENIOR-He used to use the guys name who bested him as a junior later in life when he checked into hotels so he would never forget that experience. Woolworth went bankrupt with dozens of businesses till he created the concept of the department store. Abraham Lincoln tried dozens of times to get elected into public office-he only managed to pull it off three times: once as senator and twice as President: I think we can all all agree the world would be a very different place if let dissapointment beat him down. Winston Churchill was a mediocre student and a financial nightmare(he was always in debt during his life)-He became Prime Minister due to everyone feeling they would'nt be able to control the other two canidates-history has proven time and time again to be very careful who you write off; they just might change the world. As Chuck Liddell found out at ufc 71 ; its not the man in the fight-its the fight in the man. Sadly the most creative people are often the most easily discouraged and the brightest the unhappiest because they can't deal with setbacks.
Having read your posts I see you think very quickly and have a sharp wit about you: these are not the qualities of someone who accepts the hand that life deals them.
All the best to you in the near future,
Tony
Wow, I was really impressed with your profound post, Tony. I didn't know the trials and tribulations about all those great men you listed. I see some people just skate through life seemingly as if everything is spoon-fed to them, and I've always had to work so hard for everything I've got. I know it has made me a strong person, but what good is this all for?

Thank you for the kind compliments to my demeanure. I just try to be myself is all. You guys get the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to me.

And to top it all off, my guitar playing is no where near the level of playing that I feel I should be at by now. I saw a young guy play his accoustic last night in a hole in the wall bar and he was really good. Now I want to work on my strumming again on the accoustic. This guy played Tonic and Nirvana and was pretty dead on. Not only am I down about my job situation, but my guitar playing has me in a slump, too. My timing sucks and I need to quit dwelling too long on the same d*** songs.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Some things are just random and meaningless.
I tend to agree with you on that note. Sometimes you can do and say all the right things, and still not have it work out in your favor. I just got off the phone with my mother and she thinks when it came down to it, it was a financial decision. I have a lot of post college experience, and maybe they didn't want to pay me what I am worth. It is a private laboratory as opposed to a corporate one.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 AM

Job hunting sucks, I hate it! I just had an interview last week, it went bad. Normally I do well in an interview setting. However, a lot of people do not think of this situation. What if the interviewer, is a bad interviewer? Someone who doesn't know how to take control of the interview, which totally through off the interview. I had to direct her, and as a result, I think it threw off the whole interview. It's not always your fault. Someone may not hire you (dislike you) because they don't like the shoes you are wearing that day, believe me, I've heard of this. The former was my situation.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71 View Post
Job hunting sucks, I hate it! I just had an interview last week, it went bad. Normally I do well in an interview setting. However, a lot of people do not think of this situation. What if the interviewer, is a bad interviewer? Someone who doesn't know how to take control of the interview, which totally through off the interview. I had to direct her, and as a result, I think it threw off the whole interview. It's not always your fault. Someone may not hire you (dislike you) because they don't like the shoes you are wearing that day, believe me, I've heard of this. The former was my situation.
I had a bad interview similar to this one a few months ago. I'm used to the interviewers giving me time to talk, but these people were super serious, didn't hardly crack a smile, and I had to make my way into the conversation. I'm used to interviews where I am alloted ample time to sell myself.

To make matters worse, I was going through an employment agency, which means they negotiate the salary for you. These jokers came right out and bluntly asked me exactly what are you making right now at your current job.
That seemed a little intrusive to me in the delivery of the question.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM

Sucks! She was horrible. When she stopped talking, only one time she asked a question, the rest I had to pose a question to her or start to talk about myself, if not, it was dead silence. She was horrible.

Tags
guitar playing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode