Job search front - great news then terrible news - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Job search front - great news then terrible news

This is such a long story: I will condense. I started interviewing with this leading financial firm about 8 weeks ago. It's been a long process. It's a very hard place to get into and most people don't get a first interview. I had 4, meeting with most of the IT team and management. The work environment is outstanding with many perks. This job was the diamond in the rough, if you will. Better pay, free benefits!, many other things. I was just happy to get a chance with a great co. with great people and to have a job when mine is over in a month / due to buyout / and the baby is due in December. This place spends a lot of time finding the "right fit with the team and their culture" and I passed.

After 5 interviews, I GOT THE OFFER LETTER! They wanted to meet in person, I signed it, we went over everything...just pending a background check. no problem! I was honest and let them know everything was clean. No issues.

2 long weeks later....finally get a call. They found items on the background check which had nothing to do with me. The biggest is where the builder of our home was being sued by a vendor they used. For some reason this place included us and all our neighbors as defendants! They also found some forced entry with my home address! WHAT! totally not me! Where are they pulling this from! So I called the owner from the builder and he puts me in touch with the attorney who was on the case. He sends me over any docs pertaining to the case and said for this co. to contact him. He was very helpful.

2 days later, this morning, the phone call with HR for the final result...they took the job away due to said items. It wasn't because issues came up, it was because I failed to report them. I asked, how can I report what I didn't know about?! I let them know I was completely honest and if I would have known, I would have reported them, but I just found out (due to their indepth background check.) They said it doesn't matter if I was involved or not, it's seen as a discrepancy, and I didn't report them. They suggested I should have done a background check on myself first, found the items, listed them, then said...not me, not me, not me. They said "we are very black and white here and all we see is what you didn't report vs. what came back." I was very much beside myself and couldn't believe I lucked into this job and then lost it. Trying to get it out of my mind. The entire time I felt as if I was on trial, trying to prove my innocence. For a moment I thought of going after that firm that represented the co for including us on that.

They are sending me a copy via fedex for my records. I still can't believe this.

Last edited by shredmaster; 10-20-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Contributor

Re: Job search front - great news then terrible news

WOW
WOW
WOW
I can see the bull backing up now
I can't believe this happened to you!
I'm sorry to hear something this dumb lost you a job.
This is very telling of how working for this company would have been.
You may have just been saved a lot of head problems.
I don't think you want to work for a company that treats people like this anyway!

Keep looking you will get a better job at in a better environment.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

sorry to hear Steve. ...glen
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM

sucks man.. get up and move on.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Jeez, they're being ridiculous over the whole thing. Common sense should have prevailed in this case. That's bound to be incredibly disappointing after having got so far. Anyhoo....Onwards and Upwards dude!!!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 13

That is absolute madness and quite unreasonable. Is there any was to re-address this with them? Do you really want to work for a company with that type of culture anyway?

If you have the skill set and ability to work for 'such a fine compay' there will be plenty of other better firms out there where I am sure you will get work - things happen for a reason.

Good luck especially with bubs due in December.

-Wolfram
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm surprised that this is legal (the American legal system never fails to intrigue me).

From what we see on the TV in the UK... Is it possible to file some sort fo claim for lost earnings against the background checking company if what they turned up isn't true?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:02 PM

You should sue the plaintiff for the law suit against you, and whoever is responsible for not informingvyou that you were being sued
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
You should sue the plaintiff for the law suit against you, and whoever is responsible for not informingvyou that you were being sued
I agree! Complete BS! I remember your whole job story, and this just sucks. On one hand, a company that operates with "black and white" policies is good--everything is clear across the board. On the other hand, common sense should have prevailed. The HR department should have at least let you provide supporting documents showing hat you were not involved in those cases and based their decision on that.

Sorry, bro--keep looking.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys. i'm feeling a little better about it but still quite down and lost. i was all set, and was so happy to be leaving the place i'm at now, as we are out of work in a few weeks. i spent the last weekend with my wife clothes shopping for the job, which, i will be returning that stuff as well. i have thought about going after someone about this and will seek counsel for advice, but no money to work with, and i also don't want anything else on record. it's just so unreal to me. you would think a background check is to find out bad things about someone and if something was false, it would be cleared up with the docs i have in my possession. but, that isn't the case here. they didn't want to review them or call the builder at all. it's more of a "you failed to disclose these items so you lose." even though i didn't know they existed. i told them if i knew, i would have disclosed it, but it's all a surprise to me since it was false. an example of how it should go....my dad once applied for a loan and the bank saw he had 2 mortgages! it was a mistake...someone with the same name came up. it was cleared, and he got the loan. i really thought that's how it worked. well, for whatever reason, it happened for a reason. no choice but to forget about it and move on. i got home and trashed the offer letter and all that stuff. it was a pretty upsetting day. thanks for listening
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 AM

Holy crap dude! Bad day all around.

I can't say much more than has already been said, but...

Damn. Looks like you really got the short end of the stick that you didn't even know you were holding.

Hope you have a better weekend, and that your life turns around soon!

Rob
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 PM

You didn't want to work for them anyways from the sound of it. I will never work for anyone again, if you can't survive on your own you don't deserve to. Survival of the fittest.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
You didn't want to work for them anyways from the sound of it. I will never work for anyone again, if you can't survive on your own you don't deserve to. Survival of the fittest.
Wow mate, I hope for your sake you never have a serious injury or illness with that whole survival of the fittest mindset. Probably quite hard to perform complex surgery on yourself...

Rock on!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Kick him again, think he was getting up
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
Wow mate, I hope for your sake you never have a serious injury or illness with that whole survival of the fittest mindset. Probably quite hard to perform complex surgery on yourself...

Rock on!
Actually a serious injury is what brought about this mindset. I destroyed my knee at work, workers comp denied surgery for 15 months, so I went into debt, couldn't walk for almost two years, and was treated like a criminal by the company and gov. I decided after that I would never give the power of my future over to someone else. I have not regretted the decision one bit. I stand on my own two feet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode