job situation - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

job situation

maybe you remember me mentioning this in another thread somewhere but i will keep this brief. the job i'm at is going to be bought out...the stock exchange in chicago. board of trade vs. the merc. i love my job and more importantly, i love the crew i'm with. all sarcastic bastards. anyway, this headhunter found me coincidentally about 2 months ago. she found a job for me. i went on 2 interviews for the fun of it and just didn't really have a great feeling about it. i think that is cuz i just don't want to leave where i'm at. so i got the job and i accepted it. they need me to start this monday and i have not really given notice yet. they let me know really late that i got it and that i have to start on the 9th. i took the week off to move into our new home last week and went back to work today...my boss is off the rest of the week. i spoke to her boss about it. i told him i don't want to quit but i have this offer and with this very pricy mortgage now, maybe i should take it. my wife says just do what your gut tells you and stick with it. if i want to stay where i'm at then just stay where i'm at. if i lose my job, i get another one....good luck. we would supposedly get 10 weeks severance if we got let go.

so the exchanges are going to be voting on the 9th...which is the first day of the new job. literally, i could find out on the news or from the guys at work that it didn't go through..then i would have left for nothing! i'm only leaving for the "just in case" factor for money. i need money. no one knows if we will lose our jobs or not. i really need to let them know by tomorrow since i'm supposed to be starting on monday. i'm so all over the place with this. the biggest part of me just wants to stay and risk it.....and get something else...or try to. then another part of me says to just go with the new place. i don't know. the suck part about that is my train ride is much longer now that we are moved further west and i start later so i leave later. i will have 3 hours travel round trip a day by train alone and will get home at 7pm or 7:20 every day, and get up at 4:50am. i would love to find something closer to this house.

so anyway, i spoke with my boss' boss and he said i just need to do what i need to do. i can't give notice and he understands. he is really cool about it but he can't guide me. he said no one knows what is going to happen with this merger and everyone is freaked.

your thoughts would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: job situation

the only comment i will make is that sometimes long commutes can be a very good thing. good luck... glen
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks glen. i could sleep on the train or even beef up my laptop a bit and work on client photography....that would work as well. now i just need to decide where i'm going to be working on monday. i'm all for the gamble....but not with this house.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 AM

Reviews: 18

I would call your new employer and let them know that you need to stick around a little longer than expected because they want you to train your replacement. That would buy some time until you have an outlook on what's going to happen with the merger. 9 times out of 10, employers will understand that kind of situation because they would not like it if an employee left overnight without giving any notice.

Your wife is right though, do what you feel is best. Sometimes these jobs come for a reason. The bottom line is, the good Lord won't let you fall on your behind

Good luck!

Jimmy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

my choice was to stay with the board of trade through this buyout. i text'd my boss on monday to tell her i'm taking a day to think about this and she said ok. i then went to the new job to try it out. she was cool cuz she understands with our jobs being up in the air. she suggested to go with my gut and although that was the clear choice, i have many bills.

i didn't like the job too much so on tuesday i got off the train and didn't know if i should walk left or right! i walked to the right. found myself going "back home" and i knew it was the right decision when i did it. i could have gotten used to the new job but i didn't want to. i would have been by myself in a cubical with no team. alone all day. pros and cons to that. the headhunter lied, saying there would be others with me but it turns out i was a dept. of one! they were using old lotus notes, no outlook, no excahnge server, not even proxy server. it was very old. infact, the guy who was training me was very cool but he said "you will find yourself losing skills by working here." oh good! after i found out i would be the only one in the dept. i left a vmail for this head hunter letting her know that did it for me....i also let the HR chick know at the new job. i'm sure they were not happy. this headhunter was even calling my current boss to try and get me in trouble! she left a vmail for me saying....i guess i will have to call your current supervisor, i'm sure she would love to hear you were looking for another job. go ahead beotch, she already knows! i decided to be with my team until the end. we find out if we have jobs or not in 4 weeks. i did get an interview with the co. that bought us out. that happens on tuesday in a few days. most of us got interviews. not sure if that is just political formality BS or if it's a real interview. who knows.

my team couldn't believe it when i walked back in the room on tuesday of this week. they were really happy and so was i. they thought i was gone...and so did i. they were taking bets if i would be back and most said knowing steve he will be standing there not knowing which way to walk when he gets off the train, and they were right. now when we tease each other i get things like, why don't you go back to your other job! i missed the sarcasm and bastardized remarks all day. it's good to be home. i figured with the 10 weeks severence i will get, and the photo gigs coming, i can survive for 5-6 months IF i lose my job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode