The JOY of an album. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

The JOY of an album.

the "Do you still buy CD's?" thread reminded me of something I noticed a week or two ago.

I have been driving a lot lately and had a 8 hour round trip for my job. I had put the whole Satriani collection on a USB stick and had it in the car with me for the trip and I learned something.

I really miss listening to an album in it's entirety, from song 1 to song 12. I love knowing what should come next, I love the continuity. I started with Not of this Earth and ended with Unstoppable Momentum, playing each one in their order of release and all the way though. You forget about songs like "The Phone Call" from Flying or that "One Big Rush" comes right after "I Believe"

I forgot how much I liked listening to music this way. It was such an enjoyable experience.

The Itunes library shuffle all way of listening can make you forget how enjoyable music can be, not just a greatest hits of everything.

Just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: The JOY of an album.

great point satchmo72, it's sad that youngsters won't experience "albums from start to finish as artists intended. Remember shuffle on 1-disc CD players... whoever invented that is a real jagoff. Sadly portable music players and "shuffle" just made album sales pointless to the masses.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 21

I wholeheartedly agree. I like to try and listen to everything as a complete album but some works almost demand complete listening I think.
Albums like:
"Regatta de Blanc" by The Police
"Second Heat" by Racer X
"Eat Em And Smile" and "Skyscraper" by DLR
"Tattoo You" by the Rolling Stones
"Who's Next" - The Who
"Saturation" - Urge Overkill
"Bad Reputation" - Thin Lizzy
"Juggernaut" - Frank Marino
"Rust In Peace" - Megadeth
All of these and more I feel compelled to listen to all the way through.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:26 PM
FL6

Yeah it was a complete work of art. The first track and last track was important for each side. The artwork, the space in between songs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 09:18 PM

This makes me think of something else too. Back in the day I had friends who were music nerds and we would talk about great bands, musicians and albums. At that time cassette walkmans were probably being taken over by minidisc - a format that was brilliant for editing, reliability, travel and could withstand some hefty physical abuse, (although granted not successful as a prerecorded format). Other folk were passive music listeners at best, perhaps owning a CD player and a few CDs at most. They'd be kind of thankful if someone gave a hoot enough to manage the tunes at a party, no matter what the style was! When you saw someone in the street or on the tube listening to headphones you knew they were totally invested music fans. So these are the people that would have bought albums, even for a hit single or popular track or two. Nowadays everyone has access to more music than you could possibly listen to in one lifetime and so many more people have an opinion on what's good and what's not.
So what's my point? I think I'm trying to say that I don't think there's 'substantially' less album buyers out there now, just the ratio of music 'users' has increased dramatically and therefore the album selling expectancy has risen too, but that they are not invested in the music and therefore just don't buy it. We've also got so many more distractions these days that people don't even think to listen to a whole album so, even if they are a genuine music fan, that thought is further back in the mind than it used to be and therefore not as focused on 'getting that new album and having a good listening sesh'. That goes for me too! At least those with either a conscience or some level of investment will still buy an album of some format.

I'd like to hope that the youngsters that 'get it' will still experience the whole album thrill, even if it's just whippin' through their parents' collection, a bit like a lot of us here did!

+1 for the DLR albums and an honourable mention for Russian Circles' 'Memorial', as well as any Soundgarden, Massive Attack or Mastodon album!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 120

I prefer listening to albums from start to finish too. I don't remember great songs as such usually, but great albums.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:50 AM

Reviews: 21

"Badmotorfinger." Another great one. I think any good album has so many good songs you kind of feel that the experience is wasted by just listening to one. Can I JUST listen to one song off "Fair Warning?" No.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:59 PM

Reviews: 10

I agree – listening to an album in its entirety is so much better. You make a much stronger connection with what the artist is going through in that creative period in their life. When I buy an album I usually listen to that album exclusively for a few days and listen to it numerous times over to really get into it. For example, on the weekend I just bought Andy Timmons play Sgt Pepper and I’ve been listening to that exclusively over the last couple of days.

There are so many great albums…just to name a few, here are some of my favorite albums to listen to from start to finish:
Floyd – The Wall
Floyd – Momentary Lapse of Reason
King’s X – Gretchen goes to Nebraska
Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Michael Hedges – Aerial Boundaries
Vai – PAW
Satch – The Extremist
Dimitar Nalbantov – Mother Earth
Big Wreck - Ghosts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:05 PM

Reviews: 6

I also enjoy listening to entire albums. I sometimes choose a random playing except for the albums with songs which really have a continuity (eg: DT-Scenes from a Memory)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
I also enjoy listening to entire albums. I sometimes choose a random playing except for the albums with songs which really have a continuity (eg: DT-Scenes from a Memory)
Yup, I agree - DT Scenes from a Memory is a great album too that you really need to listen start to finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode