Just got Vista, what am I going to hate? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Just got Vista, what am I going to hate?

Just picked up a pretty decent Dell PC. It has Vista, so I had to run out and get a new copy of Cubase from the guitar store. I'm downloading on my old Dell a bunch of .exe's I'm going to need, Zone Alarm, AVG anti virus, Irfanview, Firefox, and the Verizon files to get the new Dell to connect to the internet through my cell phone.

I got the new 19"LCD hooked to my old Dell, I'm not sure how much I like it. It's a little too bright, I'll have to adjust it I suppose. I think CRT's are smoother though.

Ok, so what am I going to be throwing at my monitor and why as I get into Vista? I already went through and un-installed a bunch of pre-installed software. Wasn't as much as I expected. Just figuring out how to get to msconfig was a bit of a pain even.

Processor

Type
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+

RAM

Installed Size
2 GB

Storage

Hard Drive
320 GB - 7200

Optical Storage

Type
DVD±RW
CD / DVD read speed
16x

Monitor

Display (projector) diagonal size
19 in

Operating System / Software
Vista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Just got Vista, what am I going to hate?

Once you get everything configured, make sure you set a restore point, I've seen a few machines just flake out and dump their profiles in Vista, no idea why.
All the protective SW you mentioned, (ZA, AVG, ETC...) you can easily set up and install. I'd dial in the flat panel to closely match your CRT so you don't perceive the difference. There are monitor adjustment packages if you're really bugged by it.

Judicious installation of MS updates would also be in order. Make sure you find out what you're installing and how it will affect / 'infect' your machine.
From time to time, an update will modify the machine's behavior in a way that is less than desirable.

Good luck! (Oh yeah, make sure you nab DX 10.x)
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Sounds like a nice machine. I just got a new one as well and I fdisked, formatted and installed a fresh copy of Vista 64bit. I didn't like the way mine came setup with partitions containing backups of everything. Plus all the extra software and trialware. Anyway I'm liking Vista very much so far.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Sounds like a nice machine. I just got a new one as well and I fdisked, formatted and installed a fresh copy of Vista 64bit. I didn't like the way mine came setup with partitions containing backups of everything. Plus all the extra software and trialware. Anyway I'm liking Vista very much so far.

I did fdisc my laptop a while back for the same reason. I guess I just don't have the energy to go through all that right now with this machine. I was no where near as loaded with software as the laptop was.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 18

Darin,

If Dell was gracious enough to give you a full blown vista cd (not the dell restore), reformat the drive and make a single partition for Vista alone of 50gigs (i,e. your C drive). Once you install it, make another partition of 100 gigs for your programs and make another one with the remainder for all your documents and personal files. The advantage? If Vista craps out on you, you can alwas reformat the vista partition without having to do a massive backup for your software and personal files, as they will be intact, regardless of whether or not the operating system got hosed.

Jimmy
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Gotta say. I'm diggin this Vista. Finally got the new PC online through my Palm Treo 700wx as a modem. Got Cubase installed, I love the built in card readers. And finally I have high speed usb ports. The monitor is still BRIGHT. tried messin with the controls, not just right yet. Still hunting down drivers for a bunch of things that wont install of the old CD's.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Doing research on Vista firewall vs. Zonealarm...

http://www.techspot.com/blog/76/zone...ta-dont-do-it/
Quote:
ZoneAlarm for Windows Vista? Don’t do it
Posted by Julio Franco. Filed under: windows, software, tips & tricks

On a follow-up to my post yesterday about basic security programs you should be running under Windows XP, ever since I upgraded to Vista I revisited those program choices which for the most part remained the same with the exception of the free ZoneAlarm firewall…

In general, Windows Vista’s security is tighter and services such as Defender are more integrated into the OS. During the first couple of months, AVG’s anti-virus did not like Vista and it was common to find certain programs not working correctly until updates were released, even more so security suites that have to deal more directly with the core of the OS. ZoneLabs makers of the ZoneAlarm firewall took its time until the program was ready for Vista and it wasn’t until recently that it was made available on its free form as well (not part of the paid full suite).

Well, in short the experience I had with the latest build of ZoneAlarm for Vista was horrific. I noticed slowdowns and strange behavior from the OS that simply wasn’t there before. In other words, a far cry from the seamless integration and speed seen with the XP version.

If you come from XP and want to install ZoneAlarm in Vista… just don’t do it.

The good news is that Vista’s built-in firewall has proven sufficient for me so far though it does not feature outbound traffic monitoring. It’s time to look for an alternative full-featured free firewall if you are running Vista.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/z...ows-vista.html
Quote:
Similar to ZoneAlarm Firewall, the new Windows Vista Firewall filters both incoming and outgoing network traffic, meaning that it can be used to block external machines that are trying to connect to your Windows PC as well as locally installed software that is trying to communicate with the internet [phones home]

Though the underlying firewall code, called the Windows Filtering Platform, has been rewritten for Vista, the Vista Firewall is not much different from Windows Firewall included with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 except the ability to block outgoing traffic which does not exist in Windows XP.

But think twice before putting that copy of ZoneAlarm in the trash bin once Vista arrives. Read the reasons that suggest ZoneLabs' free ZoneAlarm is much easier than the Vista or XP firewall.

Though Windows Vista Firewall can control which individual software programs can connect to the internet, there is no simple way to achieve it. You need to change your Local Security Policy Settings meaning that require a Vista administrator account. Also, the ability for the Windows Vista firewall to stop malicious activity both inbound and outbound will not be enabled by default.

Security experts recommend that if Vista's firewall remains as is, disable the Windows Vista firewall entirely and install a third-party firewall. Or enroll in the Microsoft OneCare service that automatically has two-way firewall protection enabled.

Even Zone Labs is feeling lucky and is looking forward to Vista's arrival because it is likely to further boost sales of the company's firewall products, which is what happened when Microsoft launched SP2 for Windows XP.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6690672-1.html
Quote:
Windows Vista's half-baked firewall....

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur..._vista_re.html
Quote:
ZoneAlarm for Windows Vista Released...

Any advice?
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:09 AM

Reviews: 25

Sorry but best bet is to partition 1 part of the drive for windows vista and all the software you use on it. Once you have Vista running exactly the way you like it, with all the software you want on it. Ghost it and save the file on another drive. Whenever Vista in the future dies, you can just reformat and execute the ghost image which will restore you entire system in 5 mins. Much faster than re-installing Vista and then re-installing software and drivers.....
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 PM

I had Vista Ultimate for awhile earlier this year, but It didn't have enough driver support to play some of my games and also my printer. Hopefully they have worked out some of the bugs now. So maybe I'll go back.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Just got Vista, what am I going to hate
Big performance hit over a similarly specced XP machine..

File transfer speeds are weirdly slow... and SP1 hasnt fixed that from what i can see..

Im getting a lot of 'Windows mail (or whatever) has crashed, Vista is diagnosing the problem' popups..

The start menu seems a bit stupid, I don't know what was wrong with the old XP layout..

Eye-candy? Bah, Ubuntu on my pretty old (non 3D) laptop kills my brand new Vista machine in that respect.

I dunno...i've only been using Vista for a month, but it seems pretty sucky so far.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

^ sadly all true here (except windows mail is unused).

if you don't mind making your PC 30-50% slower and you like eye candy then install Vista... glen
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
^ sadly all true here (except windows mail is unused).

if you don't mind making your PC 30-50% slower and you like eye candy then install Vista... glen
Also,
The UAC (user account control) popups are really annoying too. It dims the screen, makes a silly beep and a window pops up every time you do anything!

I turned it off...I think I read somewhere that this isn't recommended, but I don't really care, it's just waaay too annoying...
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

turning off UAC (control panel, users) is mandatory and the first thing to do after you login to Vista... glen
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Nice, I didn't know I could have the classic view of the start menu.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6153509.html
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:04 PM

I bought a new PC with Vista and thought it was pretty cool but resource heavy when compared with XP. Then I messed about with a Mac and bought one f them with the new Leopard OS. I now have a newish Vista PC sat doing nothing. Get a Mac !!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode