Kids and music - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Kids and music

So I was thinking about this early this morning after taking my little fella to the emergency ward for terrible vomiting about how even when he's feeling terrible (like after explosive vomiting) he can still get down to some music.

We strapped him in the car and drove off to the hospital, and we've looked back, and there is is. Pale as anything bopping along to the music on the radio as usual.

He loves guitars as well and I hope that continues as he gets older.

I've made a post about it on my blog (http://lonephantom.wordpress.com/ shameless plug ). I'd love to hear your stories about your kids and music, especially stories from when the kids were babies, and through to now if they are still interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 AM

Re: Kids and music

My son's 2 1/2 and his favourite bands are the Beatles and Queensryche. He sings 'When I'm 64' and 'Yellow Submarine' all the time, and whenever I'm listening to Queensryche or watching them on DVD he stops whatever he's doing to listen. When it's over he just says "Good!" then walks away. He also likes Van Halen (Dave era), especially 'Jump.'

He doesn't like Nine Inch Nails - I put on a live DVD and he very firmly said "Dadda, NO guitar."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

That's pretty cool Petie.

Ronin likes NIN though, so he's much cooler!

So has your little fella shown an interest in guitar yet?

Comment on my blog if you like!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
That's pretty cool Petie.

Ronin likes NIN though, so he's much cooler!

So has your little fella shown an interest in guitar yet?

Comment on my blog if you like!
Yeah, he's crazy for guitar, drums and piano, and if I take him with me to a guitar store he talks about it for days afterwards.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Yeah, he's crazy for guitar, drums and piano, and if I take him with me to a guitar store he talks about it for days afterwards.
That's really cool All my kids play something, but none play guitar. I have one drummer, one pianist, one flautist (flutist?) and one saxaphonist.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

That's awesome though that the music is continuing down from you in some way.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
So I was thinking about this early this morning after taking my little fella to the emergency ward for terrible vomiting about how even when he's feeling terrible (like after explosive vomiting) he can still get down to some music.

We strapped him in the car and drove off to the hospital, and we've looked back, and there is is. Pale as anything bopping along to the music on the radio as usual.

He loves guitars as well and I hope that continues as he gets older.

I've made a post about it on my blog (http://lonephantom.wordpress.com/ shameless plug ). I'd love to hear your stories about your kids and music, especially stories from when the kids were babies, and through to now if they are still interested.
Nice blog LP.....

I've got two girls myself, a 5.5 (going on 20) year old and a 3 year old. I'm a big believer in ensuring that your kids at least give music a go with one instrument. So far, my 5.5 year old has decided to take up Violin - we bought her a 1/4 size because she has the tinniest hands! The best experience for me though was being able to play the backing part (on the treble clef side) of her first piece of music relaying the concepts to her. And add to that showing her what notes in my guitar correlated to her violin so we could tune the thing. It was awesome!

My other daughter is a bit little young to start on an instrument, but every time I get my guitar out, she has to play one of my spare ones with me too - I'm hoping that she will decide to pick it up and I can breed a female shredder!!!!!

As for actually listening to music that I like, HA! My wife isn't too keen on guitar instrumental, in fact her precise words were "It sounds like cats dying" - reminds me of the comment that Vai's A&R guy told him when he first listened to PAW (I think it was "Sounds great, just get rid of all the squeaky notes!)!!! However, I always get the girls to listen to it on my I-Pod touch with headphones - my 3 year old is a big fan of Silence Followed by a deafening roar, she likes the Eudaimonia Overture.

Cheers
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePGFan View Post
Nice blog LP.....

I've got two girls myself, a 5.5 (going on 20) year old and a 3 year old. I'm a big believer in ensuring that your kids at least give music a go with one instrument. So far, my 5.5 year old has decided to take up Violin - we bought her a 1/4 size because she has the tinniest hands! The best experience for me though was being able to play the backing part (on the treble clef side) of her first piece of music relaying the concepts to her. And add to that showing her what notes in my guitar correlated to her violin so we could tune the thing. It was awesome!

My other daughter is a bit little young to start on an instrument, but every time I get my guitar out, she has to play one of my spare ones with me too - I'm hoping that she will decide to pick it up and I can breed a female shredder!!!!!

As for actually listening to music that I like, HA! My wife isn't too keen on guitar instrumental, in fact her precise words were "It sounds like cats dying" - reminds me of the comment that Vai's A&R guy told him when he first listened to PAW (I think it was "Sounds great, just get rid of all the squeaky notes!)!!! However, I always get the girls to listen to it on my I-Pod touch with headphones - my 3 year old is a big fan of Silence Followed by a deafening roar, she likes the Eudaimonia Overture.

Cheers
Thanks mate.

It's great to hear about musicians keenly passing down their musical side. I hope for all it continues with their kids, and in turn passed on to their kids as well in the future.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 AM

just be careful with those tiny ones and in ear phones; not only are they too big for their ears, but they can also be too loud, especially because of the loudness wars. (see Death Magnetic thread)

you don't want to mess up their hearing before thay can actually play the guitar themselves
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
just be careful with those tiny ones and in ear phones; not only are they too big for their ears, but they can also be too loud, especially because of the loudness wars. (see Death Magnetic thread)

you don't want to mess up their hearing before thay can actually play the guitar themselves
Don't worry - I use a set of large headphones as opposed to earplugs for myself and my children....

As Mr Vai says "You need to protect your ears more than d&ck!!!!"
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

At 6.00 this morning I went out to the lounge room with my little fella so the missus could have a bit of a sleep in and put on the Iron Maiden Death on the Road DVD. Bubba loved it, as soon as the first song kicked in there he was with a big grin on his face and bopping away!

That's my boy!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

And yet another awesome moment yesterday arvo. Picked up my little fella from my parents, who were looking after him. Had the latest Testament on and as soon as it started he was headbanging! I haven't even taught him that!

He's definitely getting a black Flying V ukulele for his birthday in two weeks time!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
And yet another awesome moment yesterday arvo. Picked up my little fella from my parents, who were looking after him. Had the latest Testament on and as soon as it started he was headbanging! I haven't even taught him that!

He's definitely getting a black Flying V ukulele for his birthday in two weeks time!
Haha. That's a great album. Your son has awesome taste.

My lad is getting into Zappa. He loves 'Jazz From Hell.'
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
My son's 2 1/2 and his favourite bands are the Beatles and Queensryche. He sings 'When I'm 64' and 'Yellow Submarine' all the time, and whenever I'm listening to Queensryche or watching them on DVD he stops whatever he's doing to listen. When it's over he just says "Good!" then walks away. He also likes Van Halen (Dave era), especially 'Jump.'

He doesn't like Nine Inch Nails - I put on a live DVD and he very firmly said "Dadda, NO guitar."
I would say not liking NIN at age 2 is a good thing! Most kids prefer melodic tunes, and to be honest, I wouldnt want my (future) children listening to stuff like that anyways!

My parents started me off taking classical music lessons (piano) at 3 years old. Got me hooked on all kinds of music back then and been my life ever since
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Bah, not listening to NIN at 2 years old! The first album I ever remember listening to and thinking it was awesome was Iron Maiden's The Number of The Beast! I would have been about 3 at the time.

I listened to lots of different music in my household, but mostly preferred the heavier stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode