Laptop shopping questions
Hi folks, I'm going to try and limit what I'm looking for in this thread to avoid as much mindless debate as possible. Basically, I'm going to be shopping for a laptop over the next couple months. I'm looking for something inexpensive just to be used for school and web surfing.
I've only owned Dell laptops in the past, but I want to expand my horizons a bit and see if there is anything else out there worth investigating (note: I'm not opposed to another Dell).
Here's some requirements and preferences I have:
- New w/ warranty (requirement)
- Windows XP (pro or home - prefer XP to avoid spending extra cash on more RAM/CPU power)
- Light weight (around 5lbs or less maybe?)
- Normal size display (14 or 15" - would consider going slightly smaller)
- Inexpensive (under $700 preferred)
- CDR/DVD combo, DVDR preferred
- Built-in wireless (802.11g is fine)
- 32 bit processor preferred (to keep cost and RAM requirements down)
I really don't have much else to add. I'm likely going to be throwing MS Office on it and very little else. No gaming, I'll keep all my design software on my desktop, no music recording (any media related stuff can be done via Windows Media Player). I'm mostly looking for something portable and affordable.
EDIT - before anyone says anything about a Mac - I have no problem getting one, but it looks like you can't touch a Macbook for under $1100, and that is far more than I'm willing to spend. If there's a way to get a new one w/ warranty, not out of the back of a van, for the price range I want, let me know.