Lefties in a Righty world - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Lefties in a Righty world

I'm left handed but have been playing right handed since I started playing 20-some years ago. This was the advice that was given to me when I first picked a guitar up, that if I had never played either RH or LH to learn on a RH since there would be SO many more options available to me in terms of guitars. It's not even something I think about when playing anymore.
I saw this post this morning on GearGods about this exact same thing, and I wholeheartedly agree with Josh's reasons for picking up a RH axe if you've never played either.
http://geargods.net/dad-lectures/jos...t-is-he-right/

Any other lefties out there in this right handed world?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM

Re: Lefties in a Righty world

I was about 13 when my Mom took me to a guitar shop for my first guitar. When the salesperson saw me pick it up upside down, right-handed didn't even seem like an option and we didn't know any better, so I got a lefty MIJ Squier (which by the way the other guitarists in my school had convinced me was a POS, didn't find out that wasn't the case until I picked up an MIA Strat years later that wasn't much better). Not being able to try friends' guitars and not having good options for guitars has been a little annoying over the years, but on the other hand, I have gotten some great deals on the used market because of the lack of demand.

I have read on the Lefty Forums about a lefty player that had played righty for years and years, and hit a point where he couldn't excel anymore. He re-learned lefty (which obviously was a huge step back) but eventually managed to surpass the wall he hit playing righty.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSibanez View Post
I have read on the Lefty Forums about a lefty player that had played righty for years and years, and hit a point where he couldn't excel anymore. He re-learned lefty (which obviously was a huge step back) but eventually managed to surpass the wall he hit playing righty.
That's awesome, I can't even fathom going back at this point and re-learning everything but there have definitely been some times where I've hit a wall and wondered if my hand preference had anything to do with it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 PM

Works for Steve Morse. He is a lefty playing righty.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM

Fellow lefty playing righty, same reason, started when I was 8, was told neither hand has the advantage, and that left handed guitars were more expensive and harder to find.
Have not looked back. If anything I wonder if my dominant hand (fingering hand) has the advantage.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:53 AM

i'm not left handed, but my cousin is. I started teaching him guitar at a fairly young age and this was a question i needed to address. After learning about Steve Morse, MAB, Vinnie Moore, Gary Moore and others I decided to steer him towards right handed playing figuring we could always switch if it appeared uncomfortable or if he wasn't progressing. Fast forward about 20 years and he is a very good player and if you ask him he will say it feels natural and couldn't imagine playing the other way. I suppose this might not be the best choice for everyone, but when first learning if the person doesn't have a strong bias one way or the other it seems to make sense to go righty. There is something to be said for being able to walk into a room and just pick up a guitar in the corner and play.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:38 PM

Reviews: 21

I think my daughter is going to be a lefty. If she decides she wants to learn to play guitar I'm going to start by trying to teach her righty.

Tags
left handed , south paw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode