"Loaded" guitar and gear reviews? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,981
"Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Ever research a guitar or some gear and find fantastic reviews around the web, but buy it and find the reviews were total BS?

Last July when I started playing guitar again I had a few $$ saved up and looked at local guitars for sale. One of which was an RG5EX1... and I really wanted a guitar with a good tremolo. The reviews said the Edge3 was "stellar"... "best tremolo ever"... "stays in tune for months"... "can dive bomb all day and still be perfectly in tune" were some of the reviews I read. So based on that advice I bought the guitar... only to find that I had nothing but trouble keeping it in tune. So that is how I found Jemsite, while searching on how to set up my tremolo. Once I found this site... I found out that the Edge3 has a horrible reputation... the exact opposite of what I read in the reviews.

I have since made it a lot better with careful leveling and setup, etc... but it makes me wonder if some of the reviews out there are "loaded". The RG5EX1 was a "Guitar Center" exclusive Ibanez and I can't help but think that they might have put these reviews out there to sell the guitars.

Anyone else ever wonder that? Or am I way off base here and just sore because I bought a lesser quality guitar?
FireEagle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

As you've read here; it's not a reliable bridge. I've never used one, but I take the folks here's word as gospel.
I'd imagine a lot of the reviews on GC are by people that have never used a good locking bridge. Think about the music that people my age (mid-twenties) grew up listening to and the kinds of guitars used. I mean; mostly either no vibrato bridges or just the simple Fender style bridges. So something that doesn't go wildly out of tune would seem like 'perfect' tuning to them.
I know that attitude isn't the 'rule', but if I took a poll of people my age; Grunge, Pop-Punk, stuff like that would be what they remember listening to as kids then teens. Or Britney, but we won't go into that. Sure a lot would say they like 80's music, when just about everyone had a Floyd Rose, but aspiring musicians usually are driven by what is, or was, popular when they are kids or teenagers. So it's more likely their idol was playing a Les Paul or a Fender these days, and not a tricked out Charvel in 'puke green' with 900 stickers on it and a Floyd Rose.
That's what I think, anyway. Could be wrong.
I wouldn't doubt there are quite a few 'bull carp' reviews on there as well.
Meechy is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
....but I take the folks here's word as gospel. (
Good Lord did I show my 'hillbilly' with that phrase! LOL
Wait....that's not funny.......
Meechy is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,981
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
Good Lord did I show my 'hillbilly' with that phrase! LOL
Wait....that's not funny.......
You may be right... but the reviews seemed so off base it made me wonder.

Don't worry... I speak hillbilly. I'm a small town desert rat from AZ. I described the looseness of the trem arm on my Edge3 as "the hole feels wollered out".
FireEagle is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 6,200
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

I totally expected this to be about drunken gear reviews. 0/10, would not re-read, much disappoint.


Sounds like an awesome YouTube series though, no?
Drew is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,646
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I totally expected this to be about drunken gear reviews. 0/10, would not re-read, much disappoint.


Sounds like an awesome YouTube series though, no?
I would subscribe to that youtube channel!
GUITARMAGEDDON is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,981
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

lol... I have a strict no alcohol before internet policy! Well... a two beer limit anyway. Moderately strict policy, I guess.

Great idea though! New forum section?? Can't post there without .10 on the USB breathalyzer?
FireEagle is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,646
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

I might have a few already that I can post! LOL
GUITARMAGEDDON is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 04:31 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dublin
Posts: 385
Reviews: 6
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

I totally feel your pain Fire. I've been burnt more than once. When I was looking for a new ibby after years of not playing I read some reviews on another music site (a popular one), however reading the comments I realised the site was full of kiddies and web warriors locked into a constant game of oneupmanship. I found this site because one of the "rocket scientists" on that site referred to this one as being populated by a bunch of "Ibby obsessed cork sniffing old bastards". "Hmm" I thought "they sound exactly like the people whose advice I want to read" and I joined here.

I never trust a review on a store site unless it is negative in which case the person who manages their website needs to be replaced. In fact I only trust the guys here, one of the first things that impressed me here was Rich telling people that certain models had flaws, it takes a lot of intregrity for a dealer to do that.

Loaded guitar reviews... great title, the first one should be hosted by Eddy Van Halen, next Keith Richards and so on.
Laobi is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

I don't remember the thread, but one member mentioned that Rich talked him out of a part he was going to order. Rich got all the information about what the customer was trying to do and told him he didn't need a certain part to complete his project.
Now THAT'S an honest dealer, honesty almost to a fault.
Meechy is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,981
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post
I totally feel your pain Fire. I've been burnt more than once. When I was looking for a new ibby after years of not playing I read some reviews on another music site (a popular one), however reading the comments I realised the site was full of kiddies and web warriors locked into a constant game of oneupmanship. I found this site because one of the "rocket scientists" on that site referred to this one as being populated by a bunch of "Ibby obsessed cork sniffing old bastards". "Hmm" I thought "they sound exactly like the people whose advice I want to read" and I joined here.

I never trust a review on a store site unless it is negative in which case the person who manages their website needs to be replaced. In fact I only trust the guys here, one of the first things that impressed me here was Rich telling people that certain models had flaws, it takes a lot of intregrity for a dealer to do that.

Loaded guitar reviews... great title, the first one should be hosted by Eddy Van Halen, next Keith Richards and so on.
I must have been too anxious to buy the guitar... I thought they couldn't put it on the internet if it wasn't the truth! lol...

I can't remember if I found this site through Rich's site or vice versa...I was searching for info on how to tune a floating tremolo. I bought the guitar tuned to Eb and after a few minutes of normal fixed bridge style tuning the tremolo was all out of whack and the guitar was still half tuned to Eb!! I think it took about 2 hours of failure and reading up on tremolo tuning on Rich's site to finally get it tuned. It did not start well with my new guitar, needless to say! I promptly blocked off the tremolo... but have since figured it out to some degree and unblocked it.

Cork sniffers here? You should read the Gibson/Les Paul forums... They are more like cork molecular biologists and atomic physicists!

I like this site... Ibanez people are more my type! I feel like the people on this site straightened me out and got me going.
FireEagle is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:14 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,398
Reviews: 13
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

That's scary, I was thinking about how this sort of thing can happen the other day too.

It would be relatively easy for a store to write up some good reviews on a particular guitar at the same time that a sale for that model is occurring. I think a number of hotels have been caught out doing this sort of thing, so I could see no reason why this wouldn't occur on music equipment or any other item for that matter.

Obviously doing research from a number of sources, combined with actually playing the item in store (noting that this is not always possible for some people, particularly if they are restricted to purchasing online) is one of the best possible solutions.

-Wolfram
Wolfram is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:17 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,398
Reviews: 13
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
They are more like cork molecular biologists and atomic physicists!
That's a bit harsh to Atomic Physicists!

-Wolfram
Wolfram is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I must have been too anxious to buy the guitar... I thought they couldn't put it on the internet if it wasn't the truth! lol...
Really? You can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true?
Then I'm a tall (5'10"), blonde with a perfect body, perfect skin, hair that is soft, shiny and perfectly styled right out of the shower. Dirt runs away from my perfect skin and I can play guitar so well, Steve Vai would bow down and chant, "I'm not worthy!"
Okay, I'm standing up now...nope, still five foot nothing. Perfect skin? Nope. My hair looks and feels okay, but I spent 25 minutes getting it that way this morning, so no joy there....no guitar to try, but I'm guessing I'm not any better than I was last night.
This satire was brought to you by Michelle (she's nuts) Stanza while bored to tears at work on this slow Friday.
Meechy is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: "Loaded" guitar and gear reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
As you've read here; it's not a reliable bridge. I've never used one, but I take the folks here's word as gospel.
I'd imagine a lot of the reviews on GC are by people that have never used a good locking bridge. Think about the music that people my age (mid-twenties) grew up listening to and the kinds of guitars used. I mean; mostly either no vibrato bridges or just the simple Fender style bridges. So something that doesn't go wildly out of tune would seem like 'perfect' tuning to them.
I know that attitude isn't the 'rule', but if I took a poll of people my age; Grunge, Pop-Punk, stuff like that would be what they remember listening to as kids then teens. Or Britney, but we won't go into that. Sure a lot would say they like 80's music, when just about everyone had a Floyd Rose, but aspiring musicians usually are driven by what is, or was, popular when they are kids or teenagers. So it's more likely their idol was playing a Les Paul or a Fender these days, and not a tricked out Charvel in 'puke green' with 900 stickers on it and a Floyd Rose.
That's what I think, anyway. Could be wrong.
I wouldn't doubt there are quite a few 'bull carp' reviews on there as well.
Excellent points.

With Slash coming in with a Les Paul in a top band when most others were playing Fenders or superstrats brought on a big movement into fixed bridges. It was after Slash when I decided to quit the dive bombing stuff. The dive bombing thing really subsided after GnR and a little later grunge shut the door on dive bombing being heard on pop radio. For many years after that a lot of people got away from the Original Floyd Rose and the Ibanez Edge so there was no point of preference for the majority of electric guitar players. If I had to guess, you players here on Jemsite have a much higher percentage of gear with double locking trems than any group I can think of.

As we all know fixed bridges, non-locking trems, and popular Bigsby retro bridges cannot keep up with premier 80's locking systems but if the former ones are mostly what people know, then the Edge III will seem far more stable. I already accept that my fixed bridge and Bigsby B5 guitars I play need to be tuned up often and even a lowly Edge III would seem much more stable. Even an old school Kahler with locking bridge behind the nut is more stable than the fixed and Bigsbys I now use. I enjoy my friends' Edge III guitars and Kahler guitars. They are comparatively much more stable and there's no argument there. If all the world had were Fender strat trems and Bigsbys, then an Edge III hitting the market would be seen as one of the most radical and influential pieces of gear to hit the marketplace. I am old enough to remember the very first original Floyds which didn't even have fine tuners and many trem users wanted one of those badly. Some reviewers may not know anything besides those two old school trems in real usage (Fender and Bigsby) and may not be lying in their glowing review of an Edge III.

It's all what is on the market. But if heavy trem use ever comes in again, then people will be all about the original Edges and Floyds and avoid the Edge IIIs, and only the foolhardy will be dive bombing with original Fender synchronized tremolo or any Bigsby trems.

Also while not mentioned very much, it also helps to be a good player with experience to make the gear work for them. Some newbies could take the best trems out there and abuse them and just make awful noise with their guitars and amps and then just blame the gear for the crap that comes out.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
63Blazer is offline  
Reply

Tags
reviews

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Instrumental Track "If Only"! Reviews Needed! arnab Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 11 02-19-2011 11:59 PM
ever see a "JS1000" with black gloss, no "satch" inlay and a "J" ser. # IKE560 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 2 04-11-2009 03:05 PM
FS: "Shred Guitar" by Paul Hanson and "7-String Guitar" by Andy Martin gkelm Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 03-15-2009 11:01 PM
Dimi's "Universe" - first "official" reviews apriatels Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 0 03-23-2007 10:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome