Long vibrating floyd rose - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Long vibrating floyd rose

Hey Guys,

I am not sure that is the right section for my post but here it is :

I just got a new RG550 with the lo pro edge vibrato and when I make it vibrating (pull it a bit and release it directly ) this guitar has a very very very veeeeeeeeeeery long and clear vibrating note and that is sooooooooooo cool, I love it

I am wondering why this guitar could have this vibration during that long and all of my other jem or jpm doesn't ...

It may be because of the springs ? Coud anyone know how I can get that to all my guitars ?

Thanks a lot from Belgium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Re: Long vibrating floyd rose

There is probably a lot of different things that help it.

But, I remember that Satriani, who does not like flutter, said once that Ibanez and him experimented with different springs to avoid it, ( end he develop fixed bridge JS for same reason, and because of left hand vibrato that floating bridge absorb slightly ), so springs must have bigger part in it, and probably tremolo arm must have tight joint to prolong flutter and to not absorb it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:36 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Might be worth doing a forum search for "flutter" by title.

Assuming new/good strings and trem angle setup correctly (90-degrees)...

Things to check: tight fit of the arm (bushings) & armholder (screwed into baseplate), studs locked (set screw) and burr-free to accept a clean knife-edge on baseplate. A variable you can change to some degree is the (3) springs... too strong a spring and it will decrease flutter. 10 springs might have different pulls. I used to stretch the string for a few days (to drop pitch and stretch springs if needed) but you can file the outside of a spring to lessen it's pull permanently ... glen
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

thank you for your replies...

The guitar is well set up the the tremolo has the right angle... all seems nice but the guitar doesn't flutter...

I am going to try to change the 3 springs with new ones
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 AM

I would think that better flutter will have used and 'broken in' strings then new.
But I would like to hear your experience after changing springs.
If it is possible, try also 2 spring configuration.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Today I have took another RG that has a very nice flutter and change the springs with the one that doesn't have any... after I change the result was the same... still not flutter !! 2 springs also no flutter

So now I really don't know what I can do... I am going to ask a guy that repair guitars next to me and see if he can find solution.

I will keep you informed
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 06:30 AM

One more thing:
is your bridge at proper angle like on guitar that have flutter?
( You probably now that it is not surface of bridge that needs to be parallel with surface.
It is insert line that needs to be parallel with top of guitar. )

Do you have same type of bridge on guitars with bad and with good flutter?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the bridges are the same and well set up ... another guy told me that the problem should come from the cutter... ( the part of the tremolo that touch the screw on the body ) if that parts are not sharp enough it won't flutter...

So I am going to remove the tremolo and check it later today.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Tags
floyd rose vibrating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode