It looks like i've just failed an audition, but in a hugely spectacular way! :) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Talking It looks like i've just failed an audition, but in a hugely spectacular way! :)

having just come back from an audition with a covers band based in the north west i can probably confirm that i've failed it!
the reason maybe because i'm a metal player who has just learned some rock covers from their setlist and thrown a few mad solo's in here's highlights of the tracks!

rock and roll, led zeppelin. great solid chugging riff, triplet picked G to A and C to D section with mad in the head solo sarting zeppliny, ending with a flurry of shred with rapid fire hammer ons, pick squeels and dive bombs.

paranoid, black sabbath. after two bars the cry was SLOW DOWN! TOOOO FAST! my response being "i've come to kill your drummer and i can go far far faster!" continued up until solo then i got the e minor mixolydian + jazz augmented scale out to play then rapidly whizzed around the neck like a mad man ending in bar flutters with the obligitory dive bomb and harmonic screams with the bar.

teenage kicks, the undertones normal upon till the solo (do you notice a pattern forming?) when i cleverly stuck in a shreddy solo with a few double stops, pinched harmonics, harmonic divebombs and a flurry of tapped notes to finish. well its better than those bleedin out of tune bends in the origional!

These were just a few of the tracks i went through. After the performance the singer said "you can without a doubt play, we've just seen that. However i'm worried that you might be a bit fierce for what we are looking for, you have some movement in a guitar solo but people want to turn up and want to listen to something played in a particular way".
The bass player was loving the music man and after the bass player and singer left the room the drummer said "you don't have a problem moving your fingers do you? You're a bit on the speedy side, i've not head anyone do it quite like that before"
I love drummers . although i do think i'm not backwards compatable but it was immensely funny! I think the guys need a guitarist that is somewhat more housetrained than myself (bless em).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: It looks like i've just failed an audition, but in a hugely spectacular way! :)

Jazz scales and Mixolodyian/ etc are a no no in a generic rock band, you aren't supposed to get much more technical than a sus2 or a 6th chord, lol.

Did you at least stick some of the similar melodies in the solos?

But no sweep picking?

No shred solo is complete without an A minor and/or E minor sweep arpeggio
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 PM

Red face Re: It looks like i've just failed an audition, but in a hugely spectacular way! :)

Throwing my 2 cents in here, hoping I don't offend...

Was this for a paid working situation? Because thinking you are too good for a situation is not being a disciplined or better musician...

The best guitarist I ever knew was a black funk player about 15 years older than I was. He owned a recording studio and had done some minor touring with an act in the 70's...The one thing he had me do when we started hanging out and recording together was to listen to a lot of old 70's stuff. Before this I had thought a guy playing the same minimal, repetitive guitar lines was just boring and a sign you were no good. I learned a lot from this gentleman, and realized playing for a song and not yourself was the ultimate in not only professionalism but in musicianship as well. Knowing when to run, trot or walk is important. Finding that groove and playing in the pocket was my key mission after that. He used to joke that the reason us metal guys never played in the pocket, is there were no pockets in our spandex.

I don't necessarily see this as a triumph, but as a failure...Just my opinion though. Good luck with everything all the same...
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 PM

Re: It looks like i've just failed an audition, but in a hugely spectacular way! :)

I think that maybe deep in your in your mind you really just wanted to show them what you could do and hated them for playing music that you maybe consider "easy to play" or maybe even boring to you.
Maybe that is the reason why there are so many great bedroom shredders that go nowhere.
I consider it an artform to learn how to play for the audience and not just myself.
But i guess to each their own, enjoy your failure.
LOL!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 AM

I don't understand why you went for an audition just to **** off and waste their time? Didn't you know what music they played?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Finding that groove and playing in the pocket was my key mission after that. He used to joke that the reason us metal guys never played in the pocket, is there were no pockets in our spandex.
There's that saying, "it's not knowing what to play, it's knowing what NOT to play"

Having said that it's fun to sometimes try to bring your own style to a band, not not so much fun for them if they're looking for a guy to fit in and not make waves.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
There's that saying, "it's not knowing what to play, it's knowing what NOT to play"
There's another saying: "Itís not enough to know which notes to play, you have to know why they need to be played."

That was George Carlin talking about blues, but I think it goes for any genre
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Banned

i like to hear the guitarist throw in some of his own riffs-licks ect when covering a song especially when the origanal song has boring guitar lines ie chugging on a few power chords,like paranoid thats a boring guitar song so to hear the guitarist use some fast runs here n there sounds great.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 AM

Talking Re: It looks like i've just failed an audition, but in a hugely spectacular way! :)

Fretboard - You are my hero. Sooooooo want to do that myself one day. No alternative but to 'sock it to the man' some days...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM

Red face Re: It looks like i've just failed an audition, but in a hugely spectacular way! :)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
There's another saying: "Itís not enough to know which notes to play, you have to know why they need to be played."
Right on the money...

Quote:
it's fun to sometimes try to bring your own style to a band, not so much fun for them if they're looking for a guy to fit in and not make waves.
I have a buddy who is an absolutely brilliant bassist with beyond Stanley Clarke type talent, but can never seem to keep a spot in cover bands. Always trying to push guys to do harder, more intricate less popular songs that showcase his bass prowess rather than playing songs people want to hear. I was always curious why he kept trying out for pop cover bands when they always ended in a bad way...They'd start gigging, making good money, and he'd toss a wrench into the production by overplaying and funking things up all the time.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Whoa there knockers, i had litterally two days (evenings really) to throw together 5 covers two of which i haven't played in near 7 years, and three of which i barely know to listen to. Whilst i tried to get the flavour of the solo's into the songs solo space and use some of the original licks some of what i played was very much off the cuff which in anyone's book is a good thing that way when things go wrong its good to know that the guitarist will be reasonable enough to pull his way out of it.
Yes it was for a paid position but i wouldn't have made the effort in turning up if i wanted to waste their time. No i'm NOT a bedroom guitarist and yes i have played in front of an audience but primarily thrash, power metal and grindcore for a long time now hence my playing style being quite speedy and full on. I also have the opinion that if i don't know something i'll try my best to learn it and play it well, i've never made wave's in a band and i'm normally happy just to play and have fun, these guys were aware of my background and were happy for me to audition even apologising for the short notice. I myself also feel i'm no better no worse than any other guitarist and probably am one of the most good humoured guys you'll come across, i certainley don't see myself as hugely talented but i do have my own flavour as i'm sure everyone else here does.
The fact i titled the post what i did shows i don't take myself seriously but if i have flunked it due to my own wildness, i don't mind to much. Its far better to have a go and have fun doing it than to stand and look like a pillock, or show you have nerves and although you know the song play the core of it badly. Me myself think that a covers band is fine, but if folk have gone to listen to led zep or sabbath they should maybe pull out that dusty dvd of them and save their money, you just wont get that in a crumby pub in the backstreets of lancashire!
I knew my shortcomings when i went to this audition so the fact i turned up, learned and played the 5 songs and then had the balls to go for it when its not really what i'm best at shows a commitment that some folk just wouldn't even consider!

Thanks robbiano, its good know i'm someones hero. lol!

Cheers rob, i'm agree'd. Paranoid is a bit mundane and a few fast licks does make it sound very different and in fairness me and the drummer in my last band used to try and out speed each other playing it when we were practicing and no one else was paying any attention!

Yes i may have failed, but like i say better to crash and burn rather than shrink and fade.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Hahaha! Good stuff .
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Reviews: 2

Wait, if they knew you were a thrash/power/grindcore kinda guy, why'd they let you audition for an 80's style rock cover band?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Ha ha that's pretty funny dude - don't be so sure you failed - the band may not be a straight up tribute to the music and may be looking for somebody who can bring a bit of something different to the pieces you play.

Some covers bands want the solos etc copied exactly, others like to cover music but in their own style
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Yep i've flunked it! The good news is i've now 2 bands who are interested in my brand of sheer chaos from that 1 audition.... i'm really hoping that one of them understands a cover is just an interpritation!

Tags
audition , band , covers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode