Mac vs PC - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Mac vs PC

Any of you guys own Macs? If so, can you give me some pros and cons? Anything I can or cannot do with a Mac that I can with a PC?

Thanks in advance.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 AM

Re: Mac vs PC

Ok, so this topic gets PC folks all in a huff. But, I own numerous Macs, and I was a PC fanboy all my life up until about 5 years ago, defending PC's and saying ignorant things like "Macs suck, if they were so great then why do they only have 5% market share?" blah blah blah. Well, there are alot more Ford Focus cars than their are Ferrari's, but that doesn't make them better does it?

Ok, is there anything you cannot do on a Mac? Absolutely not, don't let anyone tell you differently. I have, on the iMac I am typing on right this second, the full install of Windows XP (Vista blows) on this very machine. Not a simulated version, but the full real deal Windows XP. You can use Boot Camp that comes installed with OSX, and run both operating systems if you want, just reboot and hold the option key to choose which OS to boot up in. Why do I have XP on my machine? One reason, the video game Asheron's Call, which was developed in part by Microsoft and only runs on Windows. I only boot up the PC side to play that game.

Now, here are some great things about the Mac, things that it does alot better than it's Windows counterpart:

iPhoto: iPhoto is an amazing program that Windows has tried to copy with Vista, but they fall way short. It's the perfect way to store & share your photos, plus you can, with the click of one button, post your photos on the web. Just find my DNA #177 thread, that was all done with iPhoto.

No viruses: Now I'm not going to say that there aren't ANY viruses with a Mac, but owning 11 Apple computers in my life, 7 of which I own currently, I have never had a virus, or heard of anyone in my industry having a virus. I also do not have any virus protection programs installed on my machine, they just don't write code for it yet. If the market share grows, maybe, but right now if you are a hacker, you want to affect the most machines you can at one time, and to do that you target Windows.

The rest of the iLife programs are really great, iMovie, Garage Band, iDVD all awesome. I am a professional video guy, so I don't use iMovie or iDVD (I use Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro), but I know they are user friendly. Garage Band is awesome man, you can record a ton of tracks at one time, as long as you have a usb or firewire device that can get your guitar or anything really into your computer, you just hit the record button and your off. The iLife suite comes pre installed with each new Mac.

You also have your standard programs like Microsoft Office and the likes, Quickbooks has a Mac version, Quicken and all the standard business software everyone uses. I use Mail, Address Book & iCal instead of the Microsoft counterparts, but that's mainly because they sync so well with my iPhone.

PC's are great too, and are a little cheaper, but the price difference between the two are alot closer than they used to be. Plus, say what you want about Apple, but their stuff just looks a f*ckton better than anything on the PC side right now. I'm just talking cosmetics, it's amazing that the PC side hasn't had one company that can make a non-clunky looking PC.

Now, if you are totally into PC gaming, and that's your thing, then get a PC. I personally never cared for using a keyboard to play a game and use my XBox 360 & Wii, but if you just HAVE to play games on your PC, you can still do it with a Mac, booting up in Windows mode, but you can get a better gaming system (better video card mainly) with a PC. Yea, you can get a bad ass video card on a PowerMac, but not many home users spend $10-$14k on a machine like my company does . I have a badass PowerMac that I edit on, and it can handle anything, but I don't get to bring it home.

Now, note that I'm saying some good stuff about PC's too, so no need to get to flaming me PC fanboys. I have noticed that those who hate Apple so much have never actually used a Mac, I know that was the case with me personally, but I guarantee you will fall in love with the OS when you spend some time on it. Just simply things like installing software is easier. Oh, and I am also a stockholder of Apple, so I am very biased there (purchased it at $35 per share).

Both are great, both will do what you want them to do, but in my opinion, the Apple is just easier to use. Flame on boys, flame on...
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:29 AM

This one's been done before. I own a couple of Macs - a G5 tower and a G4 iBook. Love them both. There are no cons in my opinion. I find OSX to be much simpler to operate than Windows. I also do a lot of video editing, graphics work, and music. The Macs perform as I expect them to. Great computers. I have a PC too, which is fine but I'll probably never buy another PC. I've been on Mac since 2003 and they've never given me the headaches that my PC is capable of.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Get a Mac. Thats the way to go. Windows sucks the big one, and like one of the previous posters mentioned, unless you're hardcore into gaming, the Mac'll be able to handle it. Every time my PC starts acting like a bastard I'm jealous of Mac users and how simple everything is.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM

butt wich won gets moar internetz an pr0n?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
butt wich won gets moar internetz an pr0n?
thankfully, pr0n plays on both platforms

err, I've heard anyways...
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 PM

looks folks, this is like debating between chev and ford.. it all comes down to preference.. windows obviously dominates the computer market by far, but Mac sales are rising.. though i think leopard is hurting apple, as it has a ton of major bugs that will need to be addressed in the first service pack
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 PM

I prefer to stick with a PC running Aussie Windaz 2007:

http://stuffucanuse.com/aussie_windo...ie_windows.htm
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
Get a Mac. Thats the way to go. Windows sucks the big one, and like one of the previous posters mentioned, unless you're hardcore into gaming, the Mac'll be able to handle it. Every time my PC starts acting like a bastard I'm jealous of Mac users and how simple everything is.
you could be running into a pebkac error with your windows machine.. google it
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:16 PM

moving this as its been done to death already a 100 times.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
looks folks, this is like debating between chev and ford.. it all comes down to preference.. windows obviously dominates the computer market by far, but Mac sales are rising.. though i think leopard is hurting apple, as it has a ton of major bugs that will need to be addressed in the first service pack

There are some bugs, but a "ton of major bugs" is overstepping a bit I'm afraid. And hearing you call it a "service pack" lets me know that you aren't an Apple user, because Apple doesn't use that terminology. They have already had quite a few major updates to the system. I haven't encountered one problem on any of my machines, aside from having to re-enter my Final Cut Pro key when I transferred the software over.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
Windows sucks the big one
How ignorant.

Anyways, I am a Mac owner with Windows on my hard drive. I frequently use both with a MacBook Pro and its very versatile. I used to hate this computer up until maybe a month ago until I finally gave into the Mac side.

Minus the fact that Mac is retarded when it comes to opening anything Windows such as exe files, it really is an easy interface for the non-computer savvy person. The only problem is, if you ever have a problem with your Mac, you will NOT be able to fix it yourself nor will those idiots at the Genius Bar be able to. If you ever have problems with your Mac, Apple will just give you a new one and erase all of of your data. Other than that, I love the Mac interface.

Just back up your data and you're gravy. For the money, you could get a badass PC rather than spending in it on a Mac; however Macs are very...stylish. PCs are fairly inexpensive in comparison, but Macs are nifty toys. If money is an issue, colleges are starting to require Macs for one reason or another - which can be rather obnoxious, but hey.

I honestly recommend either PC or Mac. They're different animals, but they both get the job done.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
moving this as its been done to death already a 100 times.
101 now.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
How ignorant.
Are you calling me ignorant because I used a slang term? I don't get it . . .
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem20thlover View Post
There are some bugs, but a "ton of major bugs" is overstepping a bit I'm afraid. And hearing you call it a "service pack" lets me know that you aren't an Apple user, because Apple doesn't use that terminology. They have already had quite a few major updates to the system. I haven't encountered one problem on any of my machines, aside from having to re-enter my Final Cut Pro key when I transferred the software over.
You`re right, i`m not an apple user, because I have absolutely no use for them. I could set my machine up to dual or triple boot with OSX as one of the OS`s but I have no reason to. Right now I run Vista and a modified XP.

As for the bugs, I would call the keyboard freezing a HUGE flaw.. Heres a link to a forum where mac users report the bugs they`ve encountered. These bugs will obviously be fixed in the future, but for you to think they won`t make the difference between buying leopard and not buying leopard or even choosing mac over pc, is retarded in the simplest word.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/847592.html

Please don`t insult me with the `correct terminology`crap, I am getting my certs this spring.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode