MAJOR CONCERN - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

MAJOR CONCERN

I am 16 and was with my buddies the other day. We went to this kid's house that I used to be friends with. His mom allows kids to smoke pot in the garage. Anyway, as they were lighting up a blunt ( I was driving, so not smoking ) I leaned on his mom's lexus es 300, probably a 2002? anyway, It was up on a jack without anything behind the back tires and no e-brake and it fell off the jack onto the concrete garage. there was no visible damage, the car was just resting on the brake on the garage. The car already had been in some kind of crash that they were trying to conceal. The windsheild was cracked and both air bags deployed. I do not think anything happened to the axle but im really afraid that they might try to say i totalled the car. This family is definetly the kind that would try to sue me. You guys are knowledgeable. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE ME????? This is really worrying me! help me out please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Re: MAJOR CONCERN

First don't go over there anymore. Second, your 16 they can't sue you directly. Third, tell your parents what happened and take it from there. Don't lie to your parents about anything or it will bite you in the ass in the end.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM

There are so many things wrong with this post.

1) Pot smoking
2) The car in the garage that was in an accident that is hidden. Sounds like someone hit something and they don't want the cops to know about it.

But, here is the way you have to look at it. You were smoking weed in their garage and the mom knew. If they try to say something say, just claim you were stoned on the weed that their son supplied.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

1. whoever asks tell them exactly what happened. This should never have been allowed to happen on many levels. No lies that only buries you later.
2. don't go over there again it's a train wreck waiting to happen
3. this one is tough and you won't do but i'll mention what i'd do as a parent if discussing it with the other parent first went nowhere... report her to social services or the local authorities. doing nothing is easy but if there are little kids around harms way will find itself. having to answer to child services for endangering the welfare of minors might be a sobering wake-up call (better than an intervention).

Sadly your friend's mom is an imbicile but also worse neglectful and irresponsible... glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG462 View Post
I am 16 and was with my buddies the other day. We went to this kid's house that I used to be friends with. His mom allows kids to smoke pot in the garage. Anyway, as they were lighting up a blunt ( I was driving, so not smoking ) I leaned on his mom's lexus es 300, probably a 2002? anyway, It was up on a jack without anything behind the back tires and no e-brake and it fell off the jack onto the concrete garage. there was no visible damage, the car was just resting on the brake on the garage. The car already had been in some kind of crash that they were trying to conceal. The windsheild was cracked and both air bags deployed. I do not think anything happened to the axle but im really afraid that they might try to say i totalled the car. This family is definetly the kind that would try to sue me. You guys are knowledgeable. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE ME????? This is really worrying me! help me out please.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

im am so much more relaxed about the situation. This lady talks broken english and teachs little kids, yet buys her kids bongs/pipes. I talked to my mom and she said that even I could have been hurt. they are not in the situation to take legal action. My mom was mad at me for being there in the first place because my parents already know about this family but was not worried about getting sued, only that they may retaliate. this kid sells pot and maybe some other drugs and if they want to try to make me responsible i think we have way more against them, rather than me just touching the car.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
1. whoever asks tell them exactly what happened. This should never have been allowed to happen on many levels. No lies that only buries you later.
2. don't go over there again it's a train wreck waiting to happen
3. this one is tough and you won't do but i'll mention what i'd do as a parent if discussing it with the other parent first went nowhere... report her to social services or the local authorities. doing nothing is easy but if there are little kids around harms way will find itself. having to answer to child services for endangering the welfare of minors might be a sobering wake-up call (better than an intervention).

Sadly your friend's mom is an imbicile but also worse neglectful and irresponsible... glen
I hate using such expressions, but THIS!

An idiotic parent allowing and/or encouraging illegal (and arguably child-endangering) activities on her property isn't in any kind of position to be making legal threats. Even if it could be proved incontrovertibly that you were "responsible" for any damage to this vehicle, the mother is pretty much over a barrel, legally speaking.

Further, you (or your parents) could easily counter-sue because this lady basically recklessly endangered you.

Not gonna get all preachy on ya, buddy, but don't hang out with potheads...nothin' but trouble. Yeah yeah..."harmless drug" and all that, but seriously...Pot = Idiocy. End of story.

Anyway, good luck.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:37 PM

Most of my friends are lawyers. I can't give you any official legal advice, but there are a lot of problems here that can get some people into a LOT of trouble.

If you're caught doing any drugs by a police officer, you will be charged with a Crime (not a civil case, but a criminal case), and you will be made to obtain a lawyer (for about $8000 in total) and if you were 18 years old or older, you would either go to prison for a certain lenght of time or get a class III misdemeanor (like, 100 hours community service whenever the court decides it will be, plus a fine, plus a year or so of probabation which may prevent you from going on trips to other countries). For example, Canada will not let you visit unless your probabion is completed--even if it's for 3 years. I'm not trying to be a "stick in the mud" but I know someone who went through all of this. The fines and charges will probably differ from state to state.

The family had an unsafe condition on their own property. You are not to blame.

The parents can go to jail for buying drug paraphanalia for their kids. They will throw the book at them. I can't even begin to imagine the full list of charges.

I know of several other court cases that came down very heavily on the defendant. You don't want to be there.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

what my parents are now worried about instead of a legal aproach, is a retaliation against the house or my car that is parked outside. I also lost a key to the car the day after the incident. Even if somebody found the key, I don't think that they would be able to find my car randomly and im sure the people that this occured with don't the key.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 3

What a mess... I remember the direction things were going when I left high school, so I understand the retaliation thing. I'm guessing you know this, but just avoid the kid. If he confronts you, don't say anything or do anything. It's between your parents and his now, and it should be left at that. You don't need to go start a fight and have 20 of his drug dealer buddies coming after you.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM

With the crowd you're involving yourself with, you can't avoid the fact that you are guilty in this situation on some level. The books say you're not a legal adult, but seriously...at 16 if you don't know that you're really ****ing up by being in a place like that, with people like , and doing things like that then you really need a wake-up call.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM

I'd definitely not hang out w/ kids that seem so ,essed up, bad crowds lead to bad things. Also if she was concealing a crash and can barley speak english.... do you think she is illegal to this country? It would explain some neglect to the laws. (no hate towards all illegals my friends)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

no she is legal, im pretty sure. I think the older son was driving and hit a kid or something.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG462 View Post
no she is legal, im pretty sure. I think the older son was driving and hit a kid or something.
You think? That is a pretty ****ed up thing to guess at.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

lol i was only joking. i actually believe he fell asleep at the wheel? I dont get how just the windsheild was broken and airbags just came out.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM

You don't joke about **** like that man. With the air bags, depending on where it was it if the wires to the airbags were a **** hair from shorting out and you droped it pushin it over the edge that could make them deploy. I work on cars and if I were to backprobe the wrong wire with a test light completing the airbag circuit I would deploy the air bags.

Windshield, disrupt the frame enough like in a crash or dropping a car and well you saw what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode