Make a REAL difference. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Make a REAL difference.

You always see those goofy repost this in your status to make a difference things on facebook. Those always reminded me of chain letters. Anyway, here is a chance to make a real difference.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Make-a...88914411137247
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: Make a REAL difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
You always see those goofy repost this in your status to make a difference things on facebook. Those always reminded me of chain letters. Anyway, here is a chance to make a real difference.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Make-a...88914411137247
While it may be legit, I have a hard time giving some stranger my money from some wanton sob story. Too many fake ones out there ruining it for the real ones in need. If my wife needed open heart surgery, and I was about to lose my home, I would be working 2-3 jobs to get caught up for her, not wasting my time on face book.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Wow bro...that's pretty brutal. Maybe there are no jobs available? You know the economy is in the crapper. But yeah...is see where you are coming from.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Apparently you are not the only one to think that. This is from that page...

It has come to my attention that some people think this may be a scam. One person suggested that I stop wasting my time on facebook and work 2 or 3 jobs to pay for our expenses. I work for myself and with a failing economy my business is failing as well. I am currently searching for work and have sent out over 20 resumes. This has only recently become an option. Previously, my wife was insured through my business so working for someone wasn't an option. Additionally, she lost her job (no insurance) shortly after returning from the hospital. Fortunately, she has found a new job with health insurance, which finally allows me to work for someone else. We are not slackers and this is not a scam. Sometimes you just have to have faith in people. Also, no one is forcing you to help us....the choice is yours.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Wow bro...that's pretty brutal. Maybe there are no jobs available? You know the economy is in the crapper. But yeah...is see where you are coming from.

I grew up extremely poor because my mother decided to have kids young. I've had to work hard for every dollar I've owned, and I've gone through my fair share of ups and downs. Im still super young, so maybe thats why I dont have the "perspective required" yet. If he has the skill sets, and knows where to look, he will be fine without our help. Its truly not like he's the only one in this situation, others have made it without help.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
While it may be legit, I have a hard time giving some stranger my money from some wanton sob story. Too many fake ones out there ruining it for the real ones in need. If my wife needed open heart surgery, and I was about to lose my home, I would be working 2-3 jobs to get caught up for her, not wasting my time on face book.
Reality check... Working 2-3 Jobs won't pay for heart surgery and maybe not even health insurance that covers it with a previous medical condition (oh yeah, that's if our corrupt politicians don't further erode health care, catering policies & reimbursement to insurance carriers and corporations sending jobs to china where slave labor is legal).

I mean someone struggling with one job will magically find two-three better jobs right? And have every daily responsibility & family matter (during said 20 your work days) covered by friends of Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. Great logic there.

It's one thing to subtly rationalize that anyone in need is a lazy, stupid SOB but it's probably better just to avoid commenting negatively about such problems. For everyone who made it "fine" by persistence and "working 2-3 jobs" there might be many more "not fine" with a dead spouse in this case or homeless, etc. ...glen

ps - i have more a problem giving my significant other money than a stranger in need. the stranger "needs" it more and might do something more useful with it from my experience
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
I mean someone struggling with one job will magically find two-three better jobs right? And have every daily responsibility & family matter (during said 20 your work days) covered by friends of Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. Great logic there.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaa
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Well put Glenn...I was thinking the same thing but you have a much better way with words.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Reality check... Working 2-3 Jobs won't pay for heart surgery and maybe not even health insurance that covers it with a previous medical condition (oh yeah, that's if our corrupt politicians don't further erode health care, catering policies & reimbursement to insurance carriers and corporations sending jobs to china where slave labor is legal).

It's one thing to subtly rationalize that anyone in need is a lazy, stupid SOB but it's probably better just to avoid commenting negatively about such problems. For everyone who made it "fine" by persistence and "working 2-3 jobs" there might be many more "not fine" with a dead spouse in this case or homeless, etc. ...glen

ps - i have more a problem giving my significant other money than a stranger in need. the stranger "needs" it more and might do something more useful with it from my experience
Cool...just wanted to say my faith in the human race has been somewhat restored. The page has actually received some genuine help. I was just trying to help the cause by posting a link here and was starting to question whether or not that was a good idea after some of the comments....which was making me feel like crap. This was the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. Anti-help (Satan Claus)....That is crazy!!!
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:

Sorry, but these things don't tug my heart strings.
While I feel bad for the guy, perhaps he should have done something productive with his life. I am 25 making six figures without a degree. There ARE plenty of opportunities for him to make money, and his wife getting fired for health problems is bs, because that is ILLEGAL. Something isn't adding up in my head, sorry.

I do donate considerable amounts to medical research and child health care so spare me your" holier then though" speeches. There are better places to spend and donate my money then one of the 1,000,000 families in need. Do you donate to everyone of them or just the" public" ones

Hospitals are also legally mandated to provide health care, not to mention the myriad of government health care options. Sorry but my stance wont change on this.

Edit: pretty uncouth for an administrator to call someone a "stupid SOB" imo.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Cool...just wanted to say my faith in the human race has been somewhat restored. The page has actually received some genuine help. I was just trying to help the cause by posting a link here and was starting to question whether or not that was a good idea after some of the comments....which was making me feel like crap. This was the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. Anti-help (Satan Claus)....That is crazy!!!
Sorry dude, wasn't my intention to stir anything up. Your heart is in the right place so you shouldn't feel bad because I have a problem with it.

I've had a bad experience with this type of thing, and so has my parents. When I get on my computer ill explain more.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

WTF? Sure they have to provide care. But then determine things like what kind of replacement valve the patient gets. Additionally, the hospitals is going to want their money. And if they have a home I am fairly certain someone will coming after them for money. Whatever bro...this is starting to seem kinda trollish. I am outta here.

Quote:
Edit: pretty uncouth for an administrator to call someone a "stupid SOB" imo.
Doesn't sound like he is calling anyone a "stupid SOB"....

Quote:
It's one thing to subtly rationalize that anyone in need is a lazy, stupid SOB...
It's just the way you are reading it. Then you do the same thing again...

Quote:
his wife getting fired for health problems is bs, because that is ILLEGAL. Something isn't adding up in my head, sorry.
Nowhere does it say the dudes wife got fired because she was sick. It just say she lost her job shortly after returning from the hospital.

And finally this...

Quote:
perhaps he should have done something productive with his life. I am 25 making six figures without a degree. There ARE plenty of opportunities for him to make money
You just insulted over half the members on this board.... bet they don't make six figures like you. And one day you may live to regret those words. Still plenty time for that, since you are only 25. Overall, you just seem like a mean person to me. Try not to read anymore crazy sh*t into what I just said. What a jerk. I bet that dude wouldn't even take you're ugly money. Personally, I have had both good times and hard times financially.

Last edited by S-man; 01-25-2011 at 09:20 AM.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
WTF? Sure they have to provide care. But then determine things like what kind of replacement valve the patient gets. Additionally, the hospitals is going to want their money. And if they have a home I am fairly certain someone will coming after them for money. Whatever bro...this is starting to seem kinda trollish. I am outta here.

Doesn't sound like he is calling anyone a "stupid SOB"....

It's just the way you are reading it. Then you do the same thing again...

Nowhere does it say the dudes wife got fired because she was sick. It just say she lost her job shortly after returning from the hospital.

And finally this...

You just insulted over half the members on this board.... bet they don't make six figures like you. And one day you may live to regret those words. Still plenty time for that, since you are only 25. Overall, you just seem like a mean person to me. Try not to read anymore crazy sh*t into what I just said. What a jerk. I bet that dude wouldn't even take you're ugly money. Personally, I have had both good times and hard times financially.

1) The hospital can not refuse surgery that is needed if the patient has a good prognosis for survival. YES they will want their money, but they can usually set up payment plans.

2) I misread that statement, im sorry. I read it as "everyone in need is lazy, (implied you) stupid SOB".

3) Why did his wife lose her job? That raises other questions in my mind. it is 100% illegal for a person to lose their job because they got sick like that.

4) Heres my BIGGEST ISSUE. A guy at my grandparents church went around telling people his son was ill, and needed money to get him surgery or he would die. After about a year of collecting funds from the community, it turned out the whole thing was a scam. The kid was sick, and in the hospital, but far from terminal. He used it to catch up on bills, and eventually he bought himself a new corvette. He spent all the money on himself for personal items instead of giving back his "profits". Is that the case all the time? Definitely not. However, I and my parents had given them my own money and am extremely bitter about it.

5) For every sob story you see, theres about 100,000 you dont. I choose to donate money to childrens cancer research, instead of the "case by case" scenarios. A) the off chance its a scam and B) where there's a will, theres a way. I dont care how many under the table jobs I would have to do, I wouldnt be on ****ing face book sucking up to get freebies.

6) I dont care if I insulted half the board. I lived in a trailer growing up. My mom couldnt afford to clothe me and my siblings, much less feed us properly. I have eaten hot dogs and ramen for about a year straight before, because we couldnt afford anything else. My mom worked 2 jobs full time, scraped every penny to us and starved herself so she could go to nursing school to get a real job. When I was about 15 she started making decent money to actually take care of us. In my trailer park, a 9 year old girl was raped and murdered in the park for a frame of reference. I went on to do bigger and better things with myself, because I applied myself and worked hard to get where I am today. Im not using my income as a boasting statement. I was making a point that if the guy knows where to look, he can be successful himself, so he can take care of himself and his wife.

7) If they have a house, and it has equity, they need to sell it and move into a cheap apartment. I dont give a **** if they have to live "beneath themselves" for a while. Thats crap that we should pay to "maintain their lifestyle". It sounds like she already has the surgery, and we are just paying their mortgage.

crass and heartless? No. I just call things like I see them is all. Sorry. Not trolling.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Whatever! This thread is dead. You are an ass.

Glenn, can you please delete the entire thread?
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Whatever! This thread is dead. You are an ass.

Glenn, can you please delete the entire thread?

Im an ass? Explain please. How much have you donated to charity this past year? If you are personally involved with this person, then I could understand your anger. But you havent mentioned anything about it.

exhibit "A"

http://www.livescience.com/strangene...ss-100217.html

"Sometimes the hoaxes are committed for the simplest and basest of reasons: money. Nothing opens wallets and purses like sympathy for the sick or injured, and few people have the audacity to ask where the money goes. Case in point: One Boston woman, Kristen Clougherty, told friends and family she had cancer in 1999. They organized a fundraising 5K run in her name, and raised about $50,000, which she reportedly spent on a new car and breast implants."

exhibit "B"

http://www.empowher.com/community/sh...fit-and-reward

exhibit "C"

http://www.themoneytimes.com/feature...-10130257.html

exhibit "D"
http://www.webmastersite.ws/scam-ema...help-scam.html

Instead of risking the chance, I donate about 5,000 a year to St. Judes children hospital. I also donated about 10,000$ to the "Fleet and Family Support Center" (Sailor-Marine Relief Fund) during my tenure in the navy.

I guess Im just an *******.
Closed Thread

Tags
make a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode