Man it's hot in here! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Red face Man it's hot in here!

Hey
I'm the kind of player who has to have all the windows and doors shut when I play - I don't know why, I think it's to do with the distraction of thinking someone might be able to hear me - I've always done this.

Well anyway it's bloody redders here in my room but I hate playing when the outside world can hear me lol - even though I've played loads of gigs and been on the telly too.

Does anyone else share this same quirk or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Re: Man it's hot in here!

I can put my hands up and say I'm the exact same. I did buy a tower fan to combat the heat, but all it does is blow round hot air and add a nice hum to my recording setup.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 12

erm not so much that but i suffer from "guitarshop droop". You know when you pick up a guitar in a shop to try and everything you can play leaves your head and what you actually play in the shop turns into musical vomit! That said if i practice with the band and its been a few weeks since the last time i "guitarjeculate" which is where you can't stop playing out of your skin!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretboardpyro View Post
erm not so much that but i suffer from "guitarshop droop". You know when you pick up a guitar in a shop to try and everything you can play leaves your head and what you actually play in the shop turns into musical vomit! That said if i practice with the band and its been a few weeks since the last time i "guitarjeculate" which is where you can't stop playing out of your skin!

Ah man I know exactly what you mean about the old 'droop'.
I suffer with that badly too. Even when there is a private room for customers it's the same!

I do that in the band room too - it's good that you play your best and have the most inspiration to play when with your bandmates
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
Ah man I know exactly what you mean about the old 'droop'.
I suffer with that badly too. Even when there is a private room for customers it's the same!

I do that in the band room too - it's good that you play your best and have the most inspiration to play when with your bandmates
Dude, exactly. I end up playing surfing with the alien, sweet child of mine, or crazy train. It sucks.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 22
Talking Re: Man it's hot in here!

I actually prefer it to be really cold. The only time i've played a cold gig was at a fall festival outside, but playing in the extreme heat of Jester's Pub or The Brewery kinda stifles me....I despise sweat and have to wear dorky looking sweatbands on my wrists and Underarmor or Those damned Affliction bra shirts.

And i concur on the Droop syndrome.
It gets me until someone sits down beside me and trys to out crap what i'm doing, then the ever escalating fiddle off begins, ending with me switching to a 5 string banjo (if available) and playing a,dB,g,e chords at full fingercramping speed...leaving all observers confused and still not impressed.......

SO who's ready to go shop hopping with me?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
I actually prefer it to be really cold. The only time i've played a cold gig was at a fall festival outside, but playing in the extreme heat of Jester's Pub or The Brewery kinda stifles me....I despise sweat and have to wear dorky looking sweatbands on my wrists and Underarmor or Those damned Affliction bra shirts.

And i concur on the Droop syndrome.
It gets me until someone sits down beside me and trys to out crap what i'm doing, then the ever escalating fiddle off begins, ending with me switching to a 5 string banjo (if available) and playing a,dB,g,e chords at full fingercramping speed...leaving all observers confused and still not impressed.......

SO who's ready to go shop hopping with me?

It hot in the uk. Here in NC is HUMID. Humidity > Heat
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 PM

Reviews: 22

Yea they have pea soup, we have swamp air.

In all seriousness i'm sick of the rain and humidity, can't play outside that much lately.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 PM

If you get a fan it will be cool and your hair can look like Steves.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 PM

i close the windows mainly because im afraid of disturbing the neighbours

very humid here too, plus i think abit of my gain is gone when i open the doors
i got the droop too
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 PM

111 here in Phoenix today more of the same to come
Rich
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM

It was 100 in our shop but there was little humidity so no biggie. Have it 100 with 100% humidity and pfft, I'm sayin.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 AM

Reviews: 34

I do shut everything up when I am playing, and now I think about it I guess it is to stop everyone else hearing me.

I totally get the whole guitar shop droop thing, although I cure this by playing Spinal Tap covers

Actaully the last time I jammed with a few guys I was truly terrible. I just couldn't pull anything out of my usual repertoire. Since it was a 3 hour jam session it was pretty annoying.

As far as temperature goes, I recorded my best stuff with my brother when we were locked up in a room on a Saturday morning in the summer with everything closed up. I think that the heat just loosens everything up.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Good responses chaps - keep 'em comin.

Another hot day here in my part of the UK - gonna get my doors and windows shut and get the old geetar out after I've done the ironing and tidying - man I love being on holiday.......

It's funny how the worse the guitarist seems to be, the more 'proud' he is of his 'chops' and the louder he'll play with the windows open so all the neighbours can hear.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM

Reviews: 21

Growing up in South Florida I don't mind the heat so much. Our humidity is nasty but it's cool enough inside. 111 in Phoenix!!! Holy #$%#!!!!!!

I don't like music store battles. I don't play guitars very often in a music store but if I do I want to check out the sound qualities of an instrument. If the guy next to me is shredding for his own personally happiness, that's one thing, but sometimes someone gets the sense that I can play and will purposely try to start #$%@. I'll usually respond right back with a chord. Like I said, I'm there to try out the instrument.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode