Married Man's Guide to Buying a New Guitar without Lying - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Married Man's Guide to Buying a New Guitar without Lying

This is too funny!

I'm actually lucky because my lovely wife of 10 + years doesn't seem to mind it when I buy a guitar, as long as the bills are all paid (although I'm pretty sure a 3k J-Custom or Suhr might change that). Anyhoo, some good tips in here (remember - no lying

http://blog.warmoth.com/2017/02/22/m...without-lying/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 AM

Re: Married Man's Guide to Buying a New Guitar without Lying

That was funny, Especially nr.1.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:58 AM

Smile Re: Married Man's Guide to Buying a New Guitar without Lying

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
This is too funny!

I'm actually lucky because my lovely wife of 10 + years doesn't seem to mind it when I buy a guitar, as long as the bills are all paid (although I'm pretty sure a 3k J-Custom or Suhr might change that). Anyhoo, some good tips in here (remember - no lying

http://blog.warmoth.com/2017/02/22/m...without-lying/
I'm a lucky guy too. I've been married for almost 19 years now.

I'd say I'm at the point where number 7 is for me!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:07 AM

Reviews: 21

Ha! Awesome article!
Honestly I really do more of the self-restraint thing. I got seven now and half are cheap guitars. I could probably have double that without getting much grief from the wife but I don't have time to tech the ones I have currently properly. Neither of us makes major purchases without telling the other anyway. Also if I have that kind of money laying about I'm more apt to spend it on the kids. Seeing my daughter's face light up is much better than any new guitar.
Something also really has to jump out and really bite me. I REALLY want that RG1070 blue cerulean Premium and that will definitely happen. That wenge neck and blue poplar top is just too gorgeous. And it comes stock with a great pickup set.
I think if there's one thing I'm more guilty of is tinkering. I think I like Dimarzios more than RG's sometimes. hehe!
And effects pedals too. That size box isn't as obvious.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I'm a lucky guy too. I've been married for almost 19 years now.

I'd say I'm at the point where number 7 is for me!
Yes, based on the pics I've seen of your guitar collection, I'd say you are at #7...must be nice

I don't have enough guitars to be at #7 but I have to admit that I've done #6 more than once: "Buy a new guitar. Promise to sell one of your old ones to pay for it, if the new one turns out to be “a keeper”. Take years to evaluate it."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
...if I have that kind of money laying about I'm more apt to spend it on the kids. Seeing my daughter's face light up is much better than any new guitar.
Nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
And effects pedals too. That size box isn't as obvious.
Very good point - I like pedals too! It's at the point now where I have so many pedals that she has no idea how many I have. It's like #7 in the article - if she loses count then it doesn't come up because she can't tell if it's new or not. And if she ever asks why I need so many pedals then I ask her why she needs so many pairs of shoes...conversation usually goes somewhere else after I ask her that question
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

funny stuff

Quote:
7. Fill your house with so many guitars that she won’t even notice a new one. (You don’t have to lie about it if it never even comes up, right?)
this one is the best advice. Anyone looking to get even engaged needs to plan way ahead.

Quote:
4. Give your new guitar to her as a gift.
this won't work unless she plays but beware cause this is what the wifey will be doing sooner to you (buying you gifts that she wants).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 PM

I like when my wife buys me gifts that are for her.
As long as she wears them behind closed doors for me!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Nice!!!

Very good point - I like pedals too! It's at the point now where I have so many pedals that she has no idea how many I have. It's like #7 in the article - if she loses count then it doesn't come up because she can't tell if it's new or not. And if she ever asks why I need so many pedals then I ask her why she needs so many pairs of shoes...conversation usually goes somewhere else after I ask her that question
Yeah, my wife is like that with purses. Give or take pedals are in a similar price range.
Like guitars though I get in a mode of thinking, "well, I already have that." I'll look at a guitar I dig and think that it's too similar to something I own already. I'd like to get an Electric Mistress but I already have an Airplane Flanger, which I like better but I like some of the Mistress' features. Or a Phase 90 compared to the Small Stone I already have. Some might say they don't compare and technically they DO sound different but do I NEED another phase pedal? And I dig the Small Stone a lot. (Mike Matthews has gotten a lot of my money of late. )
The wenge neck RG is just a different animal entirely. I played a Soundgear with a wenge neck and fretboard for a while and when they started putting these on RG's I just have to have one. I don't care if it's Premium. I like how wenge feels even if it doesn't age well and it's different from all the maple necks I own.
Funny thing too I like the fatter necks sometime on the cheapo RG's. I've been tempted of late to buy a few cheap standard Indo's but I'm kind of done with the maintenance on them.

Tags
warmoth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode