mattress opinions - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

mattress opinions

we had a queen-sized sealy pillow top and upgraded to a king-sized sealy bed recently with MEMORY FOAM as well as pillow top. it was the best sleep i ever had...for the first 4 nights. i don't recommend memory foam. after about 4 nights it contorts to your body, creating a void in the bed, as your body creates an impression about 1.5" deep. you are cradled in this "pit." granted it's only 1.5" deep but feels like more when you're laying in it. it's no longer firm and there is nothing "memory" about the foam...your bed stays that way. while it is comfortable while on your back, it's painful if you sleep on your stomach; your back muscles stretch due to the pit in the bed.

they sent out a "mattress tech".....yeah that's what i said. they determined the bed needed to go back after 2 weeks. brought same model bed back....same issue.......another matress tech. this bed will go back. no more memory foam for me.

what do you sleep on? what do you recommend? i want something firm for my back but plush and really comfortable without the bed sinking. maybe just a pillow top will do.

thanks,
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Re: mattress opinions

Having problems Steve???

I'm trying to get around to deleting ALL the other threads but it's taking a while

Funny (or not) that you should ask this. My cat pee'd on my mattress and right now I'm sleeping on an air mattress on a box spring...

Do wanna donate your mattress do ya???

Now, to take care of the other 5 mattress posts
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:51 PM

pillow top + pocket coils = zzzzzz

helps having king size, too. i can have friends stay over without waking up my wife.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
pillow top + pocket coils = zzzzzz

helps having king size, too. i can have friends stay over without waking up my wife.
Leave it to you Damo!!!

I guess I forgot to mention that I had a pillow top / pocket coil mattress before it was soiled

And yes, it did = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 02:55 AM

Glad you posted this, because Im about to spend $600 on a memory foam mattress. I layed on the sucker last week and thought it was the most comfortable material I have ever layed on. I have always bought the cheap specials at the discount joints and have had really good luck. Usually you can get a no name with a pillow top and box spring for under $200 in a full. If you go with a cheap one, make sure you remove the sheet of cardboard in the boxspring, or it will sound like a 300 year old bed if your humpin on it. Drove me absolutely nuts for about 2 months and could not figure it out until I removed the material on top of the box spring to find cardboard underneath.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 03:29 AM

I sleep the same no matter what - on the ground in a sleeping bag or in a kingsizedpillowtoppocketspring mattress. We just bought one of these $1k+ mattresses and I find no difference from the $300 special.

I haven't felt good about sleep since I was a kid.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:43 AM

I got a damn futon on my bed. I should start spending less on music gear and more on other stuff.........heh.......hehehe.................AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=JJEMMER777] Having problems Steve???

I'm trying to get around to deleting ALL the other threads but it's taking a while

Funny (or not) that you should ask this. My cat pee'd on my mattress and right now I'm sleeping on an air mattress on a box spring...

QUOTE]

yeah, the pc was so slow here at work and i kept clicking submit. sorry dude hey, your cat pee'd on your bed? were there no comforters or sheets on it? if there were, it should have stopped before the mattress or that was some pee! dog pee'd on my bed a long time ago....washed the comforter in anger and used some febreeze spray with woolite spray just in case...no issues. good as new.

we went last night to look at the beds. i think we will decide on a simmons beauty rest bed. large pillow top, seperate coils so as to not disturb each other with turning in bed, etc. feels really nice.

jemuniverse, yeah i would stay away from the memory foam that is embedded in pillow tops. i'm not the only one with problems....many people on the web as well.

damo, you can have friends over without waking your wife since you have a kingsize? so your friends sleep in the bed with you guys?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
[
yeah, the pc was so slow here at work and i kept clicking submit. sorry dude hey, your cat pee'd on your bed? were there no comforters or sheets on it?
Lol...no probs

Actually, I didn't listen to mommy and failed to make my bad that day Plus, like the dork I am, I had accidentally locked him in my room and was gone all day. That's the only reason he's not a dead kitty

Cat pee is a little different than dog pee. Once that smell gets inbedded into fabric you can NEVER get it out.

Leason leared!! Good luck with your new mattress
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 03:35 PM

waterbed 4tw! \o/ ;-)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUARDiAN
waterbed 4tw! \o/ ;-)
I didn't know anyone still had a waterbed.lol
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 PM
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUARDiAN
waterbed 4tw! \o/ ;-)
Waterbed and cats
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Waterbed and cats
Ahhh yes...memories of my old cat Martin and the waterbed...bad mix. Spent over $100 trying to patch the hole and it never worked.

I spent a few days shopping for my newest mattress by driving to matress stores and laying right on em for a minute. I probably looked stupid laying on all the beds in the store, but it paid off. Purchased my first king size bed 9 months ago and I will never down size. Not because my friends can sleep on it too...it's strictly for me and my wife! Maybe an Ibanez guitar could fit in the bed too, but my wife wouldn't like that.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore
I didn't know anyone still had a waterbed.lol
WHAT is a waterbed???
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
we had a queen-sized sealy pillow top and upgraded to a king-sized sealy bed recently with MEMORY FOAM as well as pillow top. it was the best sleep i ever had...for the first 4 nights. i don't recommend memory foam. after about 4 nights it contorts to your body, creating a void in the bed, as your body creates an impression about 1.5" deep. you are cradled in this "pit." granted it's only 1.5" deep but feels like more when you're laying in it. it's no longer firm and there is nothing "memory" about the foam...your bed stays that way. while it is comfortable while on your back, it's painful if you sleep on your stomach; your back muscles stretch due to the pit in the bed.

they sent out a "mattress tech".....yeah that's what i said. they determined the bed needed to go back after 2 weeks. brought same model bed back....same issue.......another matress tech. this bed will go back. no more memory foam for me.

what do you sleep on? what do you recommend? i want something firm for my back but plush and really comfortable without the bed sinking. maybe just a pillow top will do.

thanks,
steve
"mattress tech"

Regards

André

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode