Memory modules - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Memory modules

I've got an Asus P5B-E Plus mother board and have been running 2gb of Cosair memory with 5-5-5-12 latency.

Today I upgraded by adding more Cosair, two 2gb modules whos latency turns out to be 5-5-5-18. All are non ECC DDR2.

I was thinking that the different latency would be the cause of my issue, but I'm not so sure.

Windows doesn't show any more than 2.93Gb with all installed. So thinking that latency may be the issue, I removed the 1Gb modules, leaving only the 2Gb modules, installed in the primary slots.

Still, Windows only shows 2.93Gb. The bios shows just over 3Gb and with all installed, the system bios shows just over 5Gb installed.

The manual for the mother board says that a small amount over 3Gb will be allocated elsewhere. I'll quote the manual. 'If you install 1Gb memory modules, the system may detect less than 3Gb of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions.'

Now, on another paragraph, the manual says the following, 'You may install a maximum of 2Gb DIMMs on each slot, but only DD2-533 and DDR2-667 density modules are available for this operation'.

So, it may appear that for wanting an extra 4Gb, that I should have used 533 or 667, rather than the 800s that I purchased. The original 2Gb are 800s.

I should have read the manual before hand, but does anyone know a way around this without buying memory over again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Memory modules

Seems to me that you're basically SOL. You should've read the manual before buying ram for that board. Personally, I don't think this is a windows issue because you can see more than 2GB of ram.

Jimmy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

800s are backwards compatible (faster than the others listed). memory speed has nothing to do with it. just install in matching pairs (and make sure to use the correct memory slots for matching pairs).

it's very possible the motherboard only recognizes 3GB ram with Windows XP (i assume you're using that or Vista32). It might be using some for video memory but it won't report that as system RAM. Google Windows 32-bit memory limit.

Do a system check (ie. crucial.com memory scanner) to see what your system can actually support. Another very good option is to install Vista64 and use 4 2GB chips for 8mb max of that motherboard... glen
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. On another note, having been thinking, where the manual says 533's or 667's can only be used if 2Gb modules are used in each slot, perhaps the memory is working 'system' wise, as the bios showed just over 5Gb when I had two 2Gb only in two slots and the other slots had the 1Gb modules.

Would I not encounter problems using 5-5-5-12s with 5-5-5-18s though? OS is XP Professional 32-bit.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

XP only sees 3.0 to 3.5GB regardless, google for some hacks but it won't really address more.

XP64 or Vista64 would allow 8gb

if you had a problem you'd have boot errors or bluescreen. the manual says 533 or 667s because 800s probably weren't available when they wrote the manual.

run this freeware (no install needed) to see EXACTLY what you're running right from windows
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

.. glen
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

The board will run 800s, but not if you've got all modules as 2Gbs. My 1Gbs were 800s. So if Xp will only run up to 3Gb, then perhaps I've not got a problem at all then? Perhaps all I've done is reached the software limitations rather than hardware limitations?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:30 PM

32-bit Windows XP has whats called "physical addresss extension" enabled since SP3 or something. You can check with "start-control panel-system" which should tell you underneath the amount of ram you have. There is an option in the bios to enable this feature also if its not automatically enabled but is only really recommended for 64 bit operating systems. The thing is it can use all of your ram even if it doesnt report it but people do report latency issues then which ends up negating the use of the extra ram. It all seems to depend from system to system. If you google "PAE" or "physical address extension" there are sites with suggestions and explain exactly whats happening.

I used to have 2GB in an Asus P5E and then added another 2GB of the same stuff having 1GB in each slot. It became very unstable until it was unbearable so took the new ones out. As it happens I found out the crucial ballistix tracers sticks changed voltage between purchases so I had 2 rated at 2.2v and the others 2.0v which was causing the overheating and instability.

The Asus P5 series are now notorious for being awkward about what ram its comfortable with.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:43 PM

XP 32 only recognizes a certain amount around 3GB.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
XP only sees 3.0 to 3.5GB regardless, google for some hacks but it won't really address more.

XP64 or Vista64 would allow 8gb

.. glen

I'm rocking 8 gigs of OCZ reaper DDR 1033 with XP64, and winblows see's every last drop of RAM, its yummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
HOLY ****!!!! Did you guys see the world records?!?! Its almost unimaginable someone hit 8.180Ghz, that bad boy must have been super cooled with Liquid CO2 and submerged in that 3M supercooling liquid.

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 12-26-2008 at 03:36 AM.

Tags
ddr , memory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode