Metalocalypse season one DVD - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Metalocalypse season one DVD

OK, so I'd seen maybe two or three episodes of Metalocalypse on Adult Swim, but that's about it. I found it pretty funny, so I went out yesterday and bought the Season 1 dvd (it was on sale at B.B.)

I watched the first disc...can I just say that it's the funniest show ever? Holy smokes.
I know it's on adult swim, but frankly, I'm amazed that they can get away with some of that stuff.

Skwisgaar and Murderface are probably the most quotable characters on TV since Eric Cartman, by the way. Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of die-hard Dethklok fans lurking around here, so here's the deal, post your favorite quotes from season one.

As Skwisgaar would say, "Haves ats its".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

Re: Metalocalypse season one DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos731 View Post
OK, so I'd seen maybe two or three episodes of Metalocalypse on Adult Swim, but that's about it. I found it pretty funny, so I went out yesterday and bought the Season 1 dvd (it was on sale at B.B.)

I watched the first disc...can I just say that it's the funniest show ever? Holy smokes.
I know it's on adult swim, but frankly, I'm amazed that they can get away with some of that stuff.

Skwisgaar and Murderface are probably the most quotable characters on TV since Eric Cartman, by the way. Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of die-hard Dethklok fans lurking around here, so here's the deal, post your favorite quotes from season one.

As Skwisgaar would say, "Haves ats its".
Obviously by my username you can tell I'm totally queer for the show.
It's absolutely hilarious, and even more so if you are into metal. The 2nd season in my opinion is not going nearly as well as the first one, although the 2nd is still funnier than most other stuff on TV right now.

I'm surprised more Jemsiters aren't loving this show since Mike Keneally plays lead guitar for the live shows.

The guy who created it is really talented. Not only does he do most of the voices and writing for the show, but all the music except for the drums. And for cartoon joke music, it's pretty kick ass
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned

My favorite quotes :

"I do cocaine"

"You are the GMILFs, that is a grandmother I would like to : pinch harmonic:"

"Could you do me a favor, could ....could you have a great day?"

"Looks at this guys, asleep in some bloods..........This guys sleeps in bloods too"
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 AM

I bought it when it first came out and I'm still pissed that they left everything edited on the DVD, I was really looking forward to seeing stuff like Tolki's strap on and actually hearing the swears, but no, its all still edited.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM

"What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'? I'd rather chop off my ding-dong than admit that!"

Pickles (talking about lobsters): Hold on, now, so yer telling me that you put these little guys in boiling water and they shreik and they turn red and they die.
Store Clerk: Yes, sir.
Pickles: That is the most metal thing I ever heard in my whole life. High five!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Greatest cartoon ever!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Skwisgaar: They are just jelous cuz theys lacks superior Scandinavians education
Pickles: Ok, say something that has nothing to do with guitar
Skwisgaar: ahh ahh ahh... a..

Thats one of my favorite episodes...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 PM

Reviews: 120

I love the guitar lesson on the extras DVD, very cool, and well done too!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM

I particularly like the one extra that goes on for about 20 minutes, where Nathan is just reading Shakespeare.

The only thing I don't really like about it is the intentional gross out factor it goes for sometimes, it never really adds anything and once you've seen it a couple of times, it loses the shock value.

I'm a little surprised that so many people are convinced that the music is amazing though (I was working at a record store when the CD came out and had so many people explain how good it is). The lead work is alright, but overall it is rather generic. It doesn't really have the brilliance of Spinal Tap or even Pop! (Hugh Grant's fake band from Music and Lyrics) where you can listen to it and not realize that it is a fake band, until you start really paying attention to the lyrics and realizing how ridiculous they are. Like the Spinal Tap lyric "It feels so real that you can feel this feeling," which could passably sound like a real song lyric, until it hits you that 1/3 of the words in that line are "feel." Don't really get that with Dethklok, just the titles alone make them sound fake.

The show is funny, I particularly like how their strategy for recording songs is basically just harassing Toki. Music is alright and it fits, it just surprises me how many people think it is a genuinely a good band (first time I heard them, I just assumed they were satirizing the over the really over the top, delusional extreme metal bands).
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
...it just surprises me how many people think it is a genuinely a good band (first time I heard them, I just assumed they were satirizing the over the really over the top, delusional extreme metal bands).
Must the two things be mutually exclusive?

I think keeping it in perspective is the key...I'm not a huge death metal fan (I prefer vegetarian progressive grindcore, myself), but I can appreciate that Dethklok's music is pretty solid, if intentionally generic, "death metal". That's one of the whole points of the show; here we have a band that, while talented, is by all accounts a pretty run of the mill metal band, yet they've garnered the kind of social-class-defying fanbase and worldwide power (they're the 12th largest economy in the world) that even the most successful MAINSTREAM band could only dream about. This is through no particular action on the part of the band, of course. Again, the whole point is that the guys in Dethklok are, by and large, pretty much uniformly stupid and clueless about just about everything going on around them. Without even realizing it, they are de facto fascist dictators, and their fascist regime is more far-reaching and terrifying in its power and influence than any number of "real life" counterparts. Yet, they're simply a fairly average death metal band.

Let's just say that they're the best non-reality-based metal band going right now.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 AM

"I'd rather die than go to Heaven!"
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
first time I heard them, I just assumed they were satirizing the over the really over the top, delusional extreme metal bands.

But they are!! And thats what makes them great. And before people go bitching about there sound, I dare ANYONE to find a metal band that sound 1/2 as good with only 2 actual members, remember Its just Small and Hoglan.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
But they are!! And thats what makes them great. And before people go bitching about there sound, I dare ANYONE to find a metal band that sound 1/2 as good with only 2 actual members, remember Its just Small and Hoglan.
I think Devy did a pretty phenomenal job with Ziltoid, which was 100% him. Hehe.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 AM

Yep, but hey, its Devy, that guy could write a killer album with 1 eye, 1 arm, no gravity, a trashcan and a cat, plus while he's doing that, he would also be working on 2 other band's albums and touring around the world, while his skullet records yet another album all by itself.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Yep, but hey, its Devy, that guy could write a killer album with 1 eye, 1 arm, no gravity, a trashcan and a cat, plus while he's doing that, he would also be working on 2 other band's albums and touring around the world, while his skullet records yet another album all by itself.

so let me get this straight. he plays by himself, tours around the world, and has a skullet................that, is the most metal thing I have ever heard of

Tags
mike keneally

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

7th heaven season 10 rapidshare download

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode