Migranes - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Migranes

Well, I used to get them every so often, but this week I have had 3. Started off seeing spots and then the upset stomach followed by intense pain.

I have stared some new medication and it works OK.

Does anyone else deal with them and what works for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM

Re: Migranes

I don't get migraines but I would like to share one experience I had whilst watching TV.

You see, I saw a portion of a session with Tibetan sound bowls. You had these people laying on the ground with their eyes closed and then someone gave a concert, if you will, with these bowls.

And I'll tell you, I just got so relaxed it wasn't funny. It was like staring but I was even more relaxed. And my mind was just blank. It was a great feeling. I even watched the re-run of the show because I thought it was so cool.

Anyway, the point is, is that these sound bowl sessions apparently have a good effect on people with migraines, so they say. It's worth checking out, imo.

You can check out some Tibetan sound bowl sounds here.

I can't really imagine what it's like having migraines. It sounds like a real headache.

Last edited by Myst and rain; 08-25-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Typo (...I tell you,...). Another typo (point it, is...). Yet another tyo (check some Tibetan sound bowl sounds).
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 06:11 PM

I get migraines almost every day out of the week. I don't throw up but I can't function very well. I always have the visual signs of a migraine so I don't know if I'm going to have one or not.

I actually missed school today with one but it has lightened up with some extra sleep. My standard of living is near 0 now, I use to only get them about once a week. I've tried 2 different medications, one made me extremely tired (more so than my fatigue I get from chronic migraines/anxiety), the other mentally detached me from the world.

Nowadays I pretty much try not to get a migraine when I don't have one, and when I have one I try and sleep. So basically I don't do much anymore.
>_<

I had my mom call my Dr. today to see if he could find a neurologist for me and I also hope to see a psychiatrist since I do have some anxiety and stress issues which runs on my moms side of the family.

I hope to get them cleared up or a lot better by the end of this year so I can do college well and have a life.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 PM

aw man my youtube is telling me that video you posted isnt available anymore
edit:I take that back, it must of been some section that was being serviced on youtube because it randomly started working
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Heard of 'em, but never got them. Know plenty of people that do, and it doesn't seem pleasant.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
aw man my youtube is telling me that video you posted isnt available anymore
edit:I take that back, it must of been some section that was being serviced on youtube because it randomly started working
Yeah, I had that too. It's weird.

This is another thing that's interesting, perhaps. Just click here and you'll hear a woman's voice, guiding you through a stress reducing exercise. Who knows, it may help. I tried this and it took a few times before I got it down. But when I did, it was very relaxing.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM

Reviews: 13

My sister has migraines when she get too stressed during the day.
When it happens she takes some medication, but she still suffers a lot.
The best she does is just to avoid stress.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 AM

I joined this migraine sufferer's group on facebook (as well as Jemsite)...

I used to get migraines at most twice a year. Starting a couple of months ago, I started getting them up to 3 times a week. I'm lucky that I get the "aura" <-- blinking lights, so I know to either stop driving, or make myself less dangerous in any other way. I take sumatriptan when I have the aura, but it is only partially effective and makes me feel really down (dopey). The pain is supposedly less, but I can't determine "less" when I feel like a hammer is hitting my head from inside. I would then add Ibuprofen to lessen the pain. In the past, after a migraine I would feel euphoric and great and free. Nowadays, after a migraine, I feel weak, dizzy and basically cannot stand strong smells, sounds or light. I feel constantly at the verge of a migraine, and my wife says it has affected my personality... I cannot watch TV at all for fear of triggering another. My main trigger appears to be "working at home on my notebook" followed by "watching TV".

Mich, what new medication are you on? What are your triggers?

I've ordered a bottle of migrelief which could be a hoax but I'll try anything to at lease reduce the frequency of my attacks. www.migrelief.com. I am not affiliated with them at all.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 AM

That sounds terrible, guys. I hope you all find a way to get rid of these migraines.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
I get migraines almost every day out of the week. I don't throw up but I can't function very well. I always have the visual signs of a migraine so I don't know if I'm going to have one or not.

I actually missed school today with one but it has lightened up with some extra sleep. My standard of living is near 0 now, I use to only get them about once a week. I've tried 2 different medications, one made me extremely tired (more so than my fatigue I get from chronic migraines/anxiety), the other mentally detached me from the world.

Nowadays I pretty much try not to get a migraine when I don't have one, and when I have one I try and sleep. So basically I don't do much anymore.
>_<

I had my mom call my Dr. today to see if he could find a neurologist for me and I also hope to see a psychiatrist since I do have some anxiety and stress issues which runs on my moms side of the family.

I hope to get them cleared up or a lot better by the end of this year so I can do college well and have a life.
That must be terrible, i used to get migranes once a month but they would be the ones that would cause me to throw up.

I tried perscription medication and other remedies, but the best one for me that actually worked was seeing a Naturopath.

First time we sat down we discussed what my migranes felt like, which part of my head i felt them and when i was getting them, he then gave me some herbal medication (which has no side effects) he couldn't find an exact one for me so we tried a few different ones with varying results, and after 3 visits we had the right medication and my mirganes were less intense. Now i haven't had a migrane that intense in about 3 years, just the occasional one due to a lack of sleep.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Ibateur, the doctor has given me Maxalt. It is an instantly desolvable pill. I put it under my tongue, that way it gets in the blood stream fast.

I am not sure what is setting me off lately. But I have an idea and it sounds crazy.

I purchased a Playstation 3 about 3 weeks ago, and have been playing very intense war games, and I think all of the color changes and lights may have something to do with it.

It has been a while since I have had a migrane, and in the last 2 weeks I have had probably 3 of them.

I may try to find an Atari and just play Pitfall or Pong.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Light is definitely involved. I pretty much stopped having them when I stopped leaving the house without sunglasses. Get a good pair, wear them ALL THE TIME outside during daylight, and you should see a reduction in the frequency of them.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM

I just remembered.. Don't you also have special screens that you can put in front of your monitor, so that your eyes have to 'work' less, so to speak? I don't know how else to put it. It's quieter for your eyes, if you will. Maybe those will help, as well.

Last edited by Myst and rain; 08-26-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added the first comma.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM

The light thing might just be blinking, like I know on a CRT screen/tv it hurts my eyes since the flicker and some pc monitors have flicker when their Hz isn't set right. I get migraines from even the flicker of Flourescent lights, making me have a migraine every day of the week during the school year (other than saturday sometimes). I'm suppose to wear sunglasses almost all the time but teachers tell me to stop wearing them and they don't understand its in my medical thing. Also ppl always steal my oakleys

Ibateur, I understand the "Fear" of doing certain things because you are afraid you will trigger one. That is why I usually do near nothing in my free time.

Mike, I will look into the naturopathic stuff. I am really at that point where I don't care what I have to do as long as I can stop them. I don't even know how I've been doing good in school with these. The everyday thing sorta started more last year I guess thats why my grades were slightly lower, why I didn't pass my AP American Hist. exam for college credit and why I can't remember anything from any of my classes.
I wish I could take a vacation from everything for like a year to see if it would help.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Mrs Cid gets really bad migranes to the point where she throws up.

I found yardwork helps her, or atleast makes it so I dont have to hear her complain about them.

Tags
headaches

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode