Military Jemsters - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Reviews: 98
Military Jemsters

I was just sitting here thinking, and that can be dangerous--and was curious of which of our members are in the military. It would be funny if there were military folks here that knew you from somewhere. It doesn't matter if you're Active Duty, Guard, or Reserve. Tell us what branch, what you do, where you've been stationed, and how long you've been in. I'll start:
Active Duty Air Force
F-16 Crew Chief, but have also worked on F-117, F-15, F-22
Misawa AB, Japan 1990-1994
Holloman AFB, NM 1994-1997
Osan AB, Korea 1997-1998
Eglin AFB, FL 1998-2003
Aviano AB, Italy 2003-2008 (As an instructor)
Elmendorf AFB, Alaska 2008-Present (As Squadron Safety)
And a crap-load of deployments and TDYs
I hit 20 years on June 18, 2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Re: Military Jemsters

Hello AlaskaBat

By asking your question about military Jemsters, I'm not certain you expected an answer from someone... from another air force.
Indeed, I live in the DC area but I'm from the French AF, currently assigned to the embassy in Washington. As a NATO affiliate, I have interesting connections and relationship with other US guys from the five branches.

I'll turn 25 yrs of duty next september. Those years took me to several places in France, Djibouti, Kosovo, Gabon, Martinique (French Antilles), before I landed here. Unfortunately, I'll be back in Europe by the end of August.
My stay here will have allowed me to get equipped like I wouldn't have been able to in France. It's not exactly the third world there, but musical culture is not as developped as here, where the consequence is that you have nice big shops everywhere, packed with dream gear.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm one of the rare guys who have finally got a lefty Jem7vwh. Just for that, musically, my stay was worth it (but I also grabbed other things !).

BTW, which one(s) do you play on ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Man--I miss Europe! Especially France. Just thinking of it makes me hungey for gaufres. I've thinned my collection down to just Ibanez. Two RG570 PNs, a Jem 77BK, and Iceman, an RG550, and anRG770DX(on it's way)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Ok, so you're an Ibanez only afficionado.
Well I must admit Ibanez guitars are among the best crafted and finished that I ever played on. I have this Jem7vwh (the famous Vai model with tree of life inlay) and an RG170. This one is kind of entry level but much better finished for the price than equivalent axes from other brands.

But I'm not anymore eager to abandon my guitars, as I had to do in the past (essentially for financial reasons). Now I'm trying to have the full range of sounds. This has to do with amps and effects, but with guitars as well. So I have the unevitable Strat (but a good U.S one, the 50th anniversary), no LP but I have a good Line 6 Variax 500 to do the job and deliver amazing Vintage Gibson, Gretsh, Tele and other sounds, not to mention 6 and 12 strings acoustics, modelized Martin D28 and other legendary acoustics. It has banjos, dobros and even a sitar sound too.
I also have a Yamaha folk guitar, a good Taylor classical guitar, and a Warwick 5 string Bolt-on bass.
I'm now running for a mandolin. You can see that though I'm fond of Ibanez, I'm not an exclusive guy. Of course, depends on what you play.

As for France, we move back there soon. I wouldn't be honest to say that I miss French cuisine that much, because here at the embassy I could enjoy it daily (we have chefs within our walls). But I'll find back many aspects of our way of life and that's cool.
I will have enjoyed the U.S one too, during these 3 years.

So, enjoy your upcoming 770DX and keep rocking !

My last real contact with USAF will be my participation in Green Flag East exercise at Barksdale AFB next July. Sure will be fun !

Phil
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Nice idea for a thread, Alaskabat. By the way, one of my best adventures was a space-available flight in a C-130 from McChord and Elmendorf.

I served seven years in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. My time was between two wars so I never saw active duty, but I accomplished my goals and I'll always be proud.

Semper fidelis,

Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I HATE Space-A. You never know when you'll get bumped off in mid travel...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 PM

It's not the way to travel if you want to go from A to B in a short time. Of course, that's what most people want, but I was a brand-new Marine with lots of time and little money. I wanted an adventure, a cheap vacation, and didn't really care where I ended up, so it was perfect for me.

I ended up on a C-130 doing map-of-the-earth flying, zooming down fjords with waterfalls cascading down black walls of rock zipping by the wingtips. We would fly directly at the face of glaciers then pull up at the last second, up and over mountains. I puked six times. Somewhere, in some USAF locker room, there's a photo of a Marine with his head below his knees, doubled over in agony, hurling into a bag. That Marine is me.

Later I flew over the Alaska Range in a small jet full of officers and then rode in a helicopter with the doors wide open. I rented a bike in Fairbanks and surprised a moose way out on a dirt road. I caught a trout in a pristine lake and made friends out of perfect strangers.

It was glorious, the whole thing.

Peace

Mike
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 AM

let's revive the thread, eh?
Special Purpose Vehicle Maintainer 2T3X1
USAF Active Duty
Hometown: Tyler, Tx
Nellis AFB: 2006-2009
RAF Fairford: 2009-2010
RAF Lakenheath: 2010-?
I try not to think about how long I have til I hit 20 years
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djentygoodness View Post
let's revive the thread, eh?
Special Purpose Vehicle Maintainer 2T3X1
USAF Active Duty
Hometown: Tyler, Tx
Nellis AFB: 2006-2009
RAF Fairford: 2009-2010
RAF Lakenheath: 2010-?
I try not to think about how long I have til I hit 20 years
Sorry to de-reail the thread a little, but your username is epic!!

The only real military is my great grandfather served in france/germany in WWII (had a good rank, don't remember what), and my step-grandfather, was in vietnam, as a photographer, and later a championship sharpshooter, had lots of medals hangining around, good friends w/ hath****.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Sorry to de-reail the thread a little, but your username is epic!!
This made my day

Tags
military

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode