Missing florida toddler - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Missing florida toddler

For several months i have been following the Caylee Anthony disappearance on foxnews.com. I obsessed with the story. The toddler's mother is a complete wacko!!! And it drives me nuts that she is still lying to everyone around her.
Ain't compulsive liars usually good at it? The most rediculous cover story in Florida's criminal history. I found OJ's story more believable.

Even though the toddler's body hasnt been found, all the evidence in the world is pointing in that direction. However i'm bothered that the state is pushing murder charges on her mother (Casey Anthony). There, im afraid they dont have enough evidence. I think they're going on the assumption. And on top of that, I really don't think Casey killed her daughter. If anything, I think that the child (if actually dead) was accidently killed, and the mother being very unresponsible feared for child neglect and endangerment charges and is hiding it.

So thier gonna press murder charges, and due to the lack of evidence (most importantly...A BODY!!!!) I fear she will be found NOT GUILTY. I fear she is gonna get acquited of all charges. It enrages me to see (well read) that she has shown little emotion towards her childs disappearance by going on a night club crawl while her daughter is presumably missing.

God i truly hope that the child is alive and not in the hands of some sick individuals that bought the little girl off of her (i did phathom the thought of her selling Caylee, until the air samples came back on the car).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 PM

Re: Missing florida toddler

*yawn*

THey haven't found madeline mcann either. Guess what? the only reason these 2 children, out of the many that go missing each year, have recieved any media attention at all, is because in one case the parents were well paid enough to kick up a big media circus, and in this case, the parent was a screwloose nutcase who made for good tv.

a good 99% of the children who go missing and wind up dead, never get any media coverage at all, and nobody seems to care.

Personally, I think stories like this are just an outlet for people who are pretty much apathetic, to talk about at work and make everyone think they're a caring and compassionate person for the world, instead of the actuality, which is that like 99% of people, people will only ever care about themselves and immediate friends and family.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 AM

I'm with Callery, I've been following it quite a bit too. Having a baby girl myself makes it really hit home in a way I never could have fathomed before I was a Father. I agree that I think it was an accidental death, and that she has been trying to cover it up. But to argue that they NEED a body to move forward with murder charges is not realistic in this day and age. If it was true that you could get away with murder if they never found the body (assuming there were no witnesses etc) it would be pretty easy to get away with. The astounding amount of circumstantial evidence they have definitely warrants the charge. If I'm not mistaken, even though they may be going for murder, can't a jury still come back with, say, a negligent homicide conviction if they see fit? Is this different from state to state? Either way, she has acted in an incredibly stupid, callous, and completely uncaring way. ANY normal mother would be a complete basket case for a long long long time.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 AM

"The Dingo ate my baby"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
If I'm not mistaken, even though they may be going for murder, can't a jury still come back with, say, a negligent homicide conviction if they see fit? Is this different from state to state?
I don't know anything about this case, but typically juries don't have that leeway; the D.A. decides which charges to prosecute for. It also can vary from state to state which allows prosecutors to offer options to the jury.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callery83 View Post
For several months i have been following the Caylee Anthony disappearance on foxnews.com. I obsessed with the story. The toddler's mother is a complete wacko!!! And it drives me nuts that she is still lying to everyone around her.
Please realize the sad story is terribly overcovered for ratings first of all. It sells papers and advertising.

There are MANY MANY other horrible crimes committed before and after with 1/1000th of the coverage. This one just has the "movie of the week" storyline to it.

Alsom, IMHO the story goes well beyond the mother being a "wacko". There are many "wackos" who are parents & guardians. Some normal people become "wackos" by stress or circumstances. This case highlight the social problems & contradictions we face.

It's also sad that many of our government workers are so grossly incompetent (and or corrupt). This is a shining example where a police dept bungled a matter-of-fact case, has used tabloid journalists to help build a case (and public backing), let their egos and pride stand in the way of justice to the point where they probably don't even have a guaranteed conviction by a jury of her peers. But this has happened over and over and over and over ... glen
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Also, IMHO the story goes well beyond the mother being a "wacko". There are many "wackos" who are parents & guardians. Some normal people become "wackos" by stress or circumstances. This case highlight the social problems & contradictions we face.

It's also sad that many of our government workers are so grossly incompetent (and or corrupt). This is a shining example where a police dept bungled a matter-of-fact case, has used tabloid journalists to help build a case (and public backing), let their egos and pride stand in the way of justice to the point where they probably don't even have a guaranteed conviction by a jury of her peers. But this has happened over and over and over and over ... glen
You hit the nail right on the head in that first paragraph.

But the second paragraph there, I don't know what I've been missing, but what did the police or gov't employees bungle (or how are they incompetent or corrupt here)? The girl wasn't even reported missing for what, over a month? What is the matter of fact part of the case that they messed up? They have proven there was a dead human in the trunk, they have the girls hairs in the trunk (which appear to show she was dead when the hairs came out), they have chloroform. It looks to me like they have done a pretty good job considering that once someone lawyers up they are soooo limited in what they can actually do to help the case move forward. It looks like they have done a pretty good job in connecting all the dots, the ONLY thing they are missing is the body.

I think the ACLU does far greater harm to the legal system than 'corrupt, bungling, grossly incompetent' police and gov't workers. I think it isn't so much incompetence, it's that their hands are tied. Let's be honest here, if that car belonged to Casey and not her grandfather they would still be arguing over whether the police even have the right to test it for anything.

The biggest problem with our legal system is that they don't seem to care anymore if they get the "right" person, they just want to get a "conviction." Like you were saying, THAT is what makes headlines, gets DAs elected, makes cops into police chiefs and makes the almighty dollar. Their is no incentive for cops (or prosecutors) to get the person who actually did it, a CONVICTION closes the case. Usually the person convicted is the one who did it, but look at all the overturned death sentences from DNA evidence.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I haven't followed the case much 'cause the ending we already know and the drama is irrelevant to me. Damage done.

That said they way they paraded her into custody with pomp and circumstance - on lesser charges could really have hurt their case. The forensic team has been under scrutiny (see OJ pt 1 and will be ripe for picking in court). Apparently they have some issues with the legal team too or something. Like you said putting pride ahead of doing the right thing and getting the right person.

No charges will be made until the DA/prosecutor's office decides to file charges. They typically don't do that until they have a solid case, in this case the high-profile situation (which they helped create) makes their job alot tougher. It's just mind-boggling why these people would fall into the trap and make their already tough job that much more difficult... glen
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
I haven't followed the case much 'cause the ending we already know and the drama is irrelevant to me. Damage done.

That said they way they paraded her into custody with pomp and circumstance - on lesser charges could really have hurt their case. The forensic team has been under scrutiny (see OJ pt 1 and will be ripe for picking in court). Apparently they have some issues with the legal team too or something. Like you said putting pride ahead of doing the right thing and getting the right person.

No charges will be made until the DA/prosecutor's office decides to file charges. They typically don't do that until they have a solid case, in this case the high-profile situation (which they helped create) makes their job alot tougher. It's just mind-boggling why these people would fall into the trap and make their already tough job that much more difficult... glen
Yep, there was DEFINITELY some serious pandering to the media. I hadn't heard about the problems with the forensic team (like you said, we already know the ending) and the legal team. Man oh man, if they blow this one...
Great point about the lesser charges, they have arrested her, what, 3 or 4 times now? I'm pretty sure the prosecutor asked them to hear the check fraud case first to give them more time to put the murder case together and he said no, she will be tried for murder first.
She has actually been charged with murder.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

But where is the proof of an actual murder though? There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Casey Anthony is very irresponsible, which i wouldn't doubt if the child was accidently killed. Found mommy's xtc stash thinking it was candy and consumed lethal amounts. Casey being crazy, she feared suffering the consequences of her child's death and careless handling of lethal drugs, so she made up a rediculous story. In the case of an accidental death, can they still go for murder if the mother was neglegant and her irresponsibility resulted in the childs death? I really dont know how the system works.
She has showed little emotion over the lose of her child until everyone found out she was missing. If she did purposely kill her child and has no real emotion over doing it...then regardless an insanity verdict, give her the death penalty. Im sorry but psychos should be buried. Especially child murders
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM

I agree Callery. I believe it was an accidental death, be it from drugs or chloroform or whatever. I think it was accidental and then mom just freaked, knowing she was going to be in BIG trouble and then hid the body and never looked back. But for lack of her telling the police anything but lie after lie after lie, they have little choice but to push for murder. I would guess that negligent homicide or something along those lines would be more appropriate but with her covering up like she has been all they really can assume is that Caylee is dead and mom did it. Of course it doesn't help that there was a "leak" to the media showing that Caylee's defense was preparing an accidental death defense. That poor little girl.

Like Glen was saying though, the sad truth is that this happens all the time, just this one happens to have been an adorable little white girl.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 PM

One of the positives in the case at this point is that the Father of the accused is cooperating with the police.

He must have said some pretty incriminating stuff, because hours after his meeting she was charged.

It's just sad that people in the world today would hurt children. It just breaks my heart.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Yep, or be irresponsible enough to let them hurt themselves. That's the problem with kids having kids. A Marine (I shudder to say this) stationed down here just got arrested last week for killing his 2 1/2 year old stepson. They brought him to the emergency room and apparently he had been hit in the head so hard it killed him. They tried to say it was from a fall but the doctor said the kid was covered with bruises, some older ones too, and there was no doubt. Then the guy said he was just 'disciplining' the child. I can not for the life of me begin to understand how this can happen. How someone can possibly do such a thing, or even worse, how unbelievably common it actually is.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Thats horrible Gilky.
And what is amazing is that you have people like Supermau who would have sacrificed himself for his daughter if he could. And he understands the gift he was given for a short amount of time.

I don't even know Mau personally, but there has not been a week that has passed when I haven't thought of him and his family. It made me cling and love my children more. And it helped me undertand that they are a gift, that I only have by the grace of god.

It's just sad that all people can't understand and learn from others.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 AM

That is sad. I don't have children, but it isn't hard to realize that having kids doesn't necessarily make you a parent.
Hopefully the father can at least find some sort of closure through all this.

Tags
missing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode