Mobile browsing: we want your opinion - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Reviews: 1
Mobile browsing: we want your opinion

Hello everybody.

We'd like to improve browsing on mobile devices. In order to do that, your feedback is needed. If you are using a mobile device, please take the time to answer these questions:

1. What mobile device do you use, and what browser?
2. What are the main activities you use mobile browsing for? (reading forum posts, writing posts, reading the blog, writing product reviews and so on).
3. What do you think can be improved in the way the site looks on your browser?

Hoping to get your feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: Mobile browsing: we want your opinion

I'm sure you have already reviewed lonephantom's post but I will link it because there were some good sugguestions in that thread already. http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f10/st...ghlight=Iphone

I'm going to bed right now but would love to chime in with my 2 cents later.

This was posted from my iPhone.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

htc imagio windows mobile 6.5
800x480 resolution
opera mobile 9.7 or opera mini 5 beta
full webpage (not mobile view) mode

I open pages in new tabs to make for faster viewing & going "back".

one thing ON EVERY FORUM that is really, really annoying with any mobile device with good screen resolution...

turning pages

The links on forum pages and individual threads to turn pages are too small and too close together making it difficult to flip pages.

For example if you use "new messages" the footer shows 2 pages.

This is what you see now which is no good...
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | > |

Instead of the > a larger clickable link for previous/next would be useful (wider = easier to click)
Page 1 of 2 | 1 | 2 | NEXT > |

< PREVIOUS and NEXT> (in caps for easier click with your thumb) would REALLY help as even when i 'm zoomed in if you have 1 2 3 4 5 6 > it's hard to click the arrow or page number.

Keep in mind mobile browsing you need WIDER click area (even a large font can be narrow like 1 vs 8 so NEXT is more useful than >

... glen
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I use an iPhone with the stock Safari browser.

Quote:
2. What are the main activities you use mobile browsing for? (reading forum posts, writing posts, reading the blog, writing product reviews and so on).
I like to read posts and write replies to them..

Quote:
I would like to see the banner ads removed just to improve loading speeds when accessing the Internet via 3G.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 120

Definitely have a read of the link up top to my thoughts.

Definitely agree with Glen regarding the page numbers. They are too small on regular view on mobile devices.

Chop out the ads. They take a lot to load over 3G.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredlikeninja View Post
1. Apple iPhone, with Safari.

2. Mainly reading posts, with an occasional reply.

3. The banner ads make the loading of any forum very slow. Also, side-bar area on the right where the "comparison shopping" ads would normally show up is just a blank area. The ads themselves get rendered at the bottom of the page instead, but there's still this blank area of the page on the right that keeps the text of all messages pushed to the left and smaller than they need to be. So, Jemsite's rendering on the iPhone Safari browser seems problematic.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM

HTC HD2 with Opera 9.7, regular site

Reading and a post every know and then.

More thumb-friendly buttons or less ads for a (better looking) mobile version would be nice, but it works for me as it is know (the regular non-mobile version that is).

Last edited by Brambram; 01-19-2010 at 05:34 PM.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks for your feedback. We'll be working on a good solution, and get started with it soon
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM
site founder 0% owner

the standard vB template is very close to "mobile friendly". if you offered a mobile theme i'd no doubt use the regular one as would many so you guys should really try to tweak the standard theme a little either way.

fwiw the banner ads - if they remain on mobile - would be better not fixed at 4 across but instead wrap automatically. This would allow the table/thread to be the widest element for mobile browsers that auto zoom.

Opera Mobile 9.x renders the page great but the 4-across ads/jpgs are a little wider than the actual table w/ posts, creating the possibility of accidental horizontal scrolling. The fixed-4-across is slightly wider than the rendered post/table.

Ads slow any webpage but imho 3G speed is not an issue with opera as i have a 10mb cache set. Making them smaller, sqare buttons (smaller size) would obviously be a goood compromise (or text link)... glen
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM
site founder 0% owner

also the "similar threads" hide show icon is too small to click unless you really zoom in. Making that bigger or adding text to HIDE or SHOW (like turning pages) would be useful. Not as cute as the little circle with arrow but more functional (i'd wager many don't even know you can click that now)
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

posting from mobile... one other useful feaure would be to easily turn profile settings for inline img on or off.

on mobile inline post images are bad

but you need to click userCP then turn off over and over which is a pita. an easy way to toggle on/off would be great... g
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Android phones (G1 and Nexus One). The web kit browser that comes with Android.

2. What are the main activities you use mobile browsing for? ****, Racerx forum, financial news, and Jemsite.

Less graphics to minimize page load time. Minimize clicks needed to get to different forums. The site should detect mobile browsers and automatically render in the "browser version." Have a link at the bottom to go into desktop mode. Look at how other sites like myspace do it.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

^

please do not automate/force rendering of mobile browser version by any foolish detection.

that is unnecessary and counterproductive.

instead leave it up to the browser settings to turn on "mobile browser" or not.

i have a friend with the Motorola Droid so i'll report back how that works in a week or so how that looks (that will be a popular phone in the USA)... glen
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Reviews: 3

1. Apple iPhone 3G w/ Safari
2. Reading/writing posts, reading/writing private messages
3. Another forum I visit has a separate mobile link (WAP.****.com or something like that) which takes you to the mobile site. You can still view the normal site without a redirect. Granted the mobile sites are ugly and clumsy, they are a ton quicker on any phone/network. Would be a nice option. Other than that, I've played around with a few things and it seems to work just like on my desktop, no major complaints with the limited amount of time I spend on here from my mobile.

Last edited by jay ratkowski; 01-26-2010 at 12:34 PM.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 PM

iPod in landscape mode, only real problem as stated earlier small size of page selector links.
Jim

Tags
mobilephones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode