Money orders online - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Money orders online

Where can I find money orders online for an international payment?

This method of paying is very little used here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 05:38 PM
dex

Re: Money orders online

Walk into your bank and find out what they need to move money to a specific country.
My bank needed:

IBAN number
SWIFT code
Name of account
Name of Bank
Bank Address

This is for Europe - not sure what the process will be to pay outside Europe.
Something else my bank offered was a guaranteed cheque in a foreign currency.
I used this once to send $ to California and it took about a month for the receiving bank to clear it but it works.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Wow... There must be an easier way. I have used wire transfer before, but there should be easier with a money order, in my mind... I've finally found Western Union, guess I'll go with them...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:49 AM

you could always use paypal. Western Union just always sounds like a bad idea to me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Can I use Paypal to send Money orders? I've read that you can send money with Paypal to anyone who has an e-mail address. How does that work? Western Union turned out to be a major cramp - wouldn't let me enter the full address. Please enlighten me about the Paypal option.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:04 PM

You can just apply your debit card to your paypal account. On the website, just click and send money to the recipient's email which is linked to that person's account and they get the money. In essence, that's how it works.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Just to make it 100% clear for myself. The receiver will get the money even if he doesn't have a Paypal account?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:36 PM
dex

No you can't sent money with PayPal to people without a PayPal account.

What country do you want to send money to?
Money Order means more or less a guaranteed cheque.
Like when you go into your bank and ask them for a Money Order for £300 they take £300 out of your account on the spot and give you a piece of paper that guarantees to pay £300 to whomever walks into a bank and cashes it.
My bank only issue these to people - you have to give them a name the money order will be payable to and they print it on it so only that specific person can cash it.

They also offer to issue these in foreign currency - like you can get one on $ or euros and they are guaranteed and all.
The thing is these days there are too many counterfeit international money orders so the receiving bank will take about a month to clear the funds.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

I want to send money to the USA. I think I have sent money orders online some years ago. But of course, it's understandable that the service is removed if there has been lots of scams.

I will have to find another way to pay I think... A month is too long.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 AM

I believe you can go to your post office and ask to make a money order. That's probably the only way you can do it "for sure". Over here, I can only do that with the Postbank.

There's also Payko, which is apparently linked to Paypal, but doesn't require the beneficiary to be a Paypal user. Check them out.

http://www.payko.com/about.aspx is the link to "about us", which includes:

Payko is ideal for:

. Online sellers who do not wish to pay a fee to receive payments
. Sending money to someone who has no access to a computer
. Paying for anything with a money order purchased with PayPal
. Recipients who want payments as accessible as cash but as dependable as PayPal

I can't imagine why a wire transfer is less acceptable than a money order. Anyone (from the US) have an opinion here? Not bashing, just curious.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Too bad it's a 100USD limit for each day. Wire transfer is less accepted on my part. The transfer alone would probably cost me $10-15. At least it was $10 five years ago. It's OK when buying something expensive, but not so OK when the item is $115.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 AM

oops. "just above" the threshold. On the other hand, the seller might not be too against getting two payments. Thouch kinda funny.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Found another way, so I'm now a little richer and got a little less money...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode