on moving... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down on moving...

I'm sure we've all done it, but I have to say, moving sucks out loud. We plan to close on both the house we are selling and buying this Wednesday.

First I had to sell my house, which went great, it sold in less than 24 hours. But you still have to go through the home inspection, appraisal, and fixing all the crap that's wrong with it to make the buyers happy.

Next on the list, find a new house. Well, found it. It's a great 5BR/4Bath house that is 3 times the size of my current home. Why such a big house? For the love of God, I don't have a clue. The wife likes it and with the housing market in the crapper, it's in our price range. So now on to the inspection. Well, everything is fine, but we found some mold in the basement. Then it's time to hire a mold inspector who comes out and takes samples of the mold. We find that it's Aspergillus/Penicillium, which won't kill you or anything, but there is a ton of it in the air, 13,000 Count/m3, whatever that means. Normal is 2,000 or below. So we tell the seller and he agrees to take care of it using whomever I choose. So I find a guy, he goes in, scrubs the entire basement, floors, walls, floor joists upstairs, the works. Then he places these 2 air scrubbers that suck a ton of air through a filter and shoot it outside. Anyways, the mold inspector re-tests on Friday, the count hasn't changed a bit!!!

So I'm freaking out a bit, because come Wednesday, I'm officially homeless with a 2 month old baby. So come to find out, the idiots at the mold company didnt replace the filters on the air scrubbing machines, which is why the count hadn't changed, so they have been running them all weekend with fresh filters on them. We are having it retested Monday morning and will get the results Monday afternoon, that's when I'll know whether or not I'll be moving into that house, or finding a place to live while we find another house.

Then there's the actual moving part. I've boxed up everything I own, and I'm simply amazed at how much crap I have accumulated over the years. I plan to donate a ton to charity, because no human should have this much crap.

Here's the other thing about moving, I had gone ahead and changed my address to the new one and have everyone scheduled to come out Thursday or Friday to hook everything up. The alarm company, DirecTV, AT&T, a fence company, movers, the new refrigerator is being delivered... This could all be cancelled if we can't get the mold out. Man, it's just a stressful time. The only good news is that my little refrigerator in my office had 9 Coronas in it, and I couldn't let them go to waste, so I'm polishing off number 7 now.

I'll let you know how it goes. This is my therapy for the day. And remember, I'm still getting over the fact that I sold 11 guitars for a down payment (which I don't actually need because I'm financing 100%, but I'll use the money for furnishing the new place). 7 Jems gone, 4 strats gone... Good thing I have a DNA & PMC & 77FP & Taylor GC5 & Gibson Chet Atkins SST & a Fender Custom Shop Relic &... well, I still have some guitars I guess, but they are all packed up at the moment. Maybe I'll dig the DNA out and put my d*ck on it, that always makes me smile... Wish me luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 AM

Re: on moving...

Good Luck!

Moving IS a huge PITA, no doubt. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new start once all the BS is outa' the way.

Cheers,

BB
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 AM

Supermau hit this on the head..... The actual move sucks! But getting into a new home is always a journey. Lots of new things and things to plan and do! Good luck and congrats on the new home!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Supermau hit this on the head..... The actual move sucks! But getting into a new home is always a journey. Lots of new things and things to plan and do! Good luck and congrats on the new home!
dont congratulate me yet, let's wait and see that mold report tomorrow .
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 AM

Gotta think positive.... It's all going to work out! We'll say a small prayer for ya'll anyway!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 AM

I hate moving so bad that I've been living in the same 3 BR 1 BA split foyer for 18 years.

I think it's time to get a dumpster dropped in the driveway so I can dispose of some junk.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem20thlover View Post
We find that it's Aspergillus/Penicillium!
I have some background in Mycology. Aspergillus is everywhere! It's one of the most common molds and seems to "co-exsist" with other contaminants (molds) and life forms. It's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be. There are many other (more harmful)contaminants to worry about so consider yourself lucky Just get the place cleaned up. Do it yourself and save the money and don't let the contaminant companies take you for a ride and exagerate the (possible) dangers of Aspergillus. Whether you like it or not, no matter how clean you keep your house, we all live with countless numbers of contaminants everyday (some of which can cause bacterial infections, but most of which actually help to boost the immune system )

And yes.....moving sux!! Especially when you own a truck and have too many friends that do not

I average about 3 moves a month Time to get a GEO I guess

Congrats on the house and the kiddo

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 12-10-2007 at 01:00 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 AM

Reviews: 6

That house sounds colossal in comparison to mine. Hope everything works out fine. One of the saddest things on this boards was to see you sell off all those JEMS. I mean no one should be too attached to a guitar, but the Jem's are such fascinating and incredible instruments. There are only so many different kinds, and so having a collection is kind of like a building a lifelong time line. You can always remember the first one you got, and which ones came after.

Anyways best of luck with the new house and i hope the bs with the mold gets sorted out pronto!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
I have some background in Mycology. Aspergillus is everywhere! It's one of the most common molds and seems to "co-exsist" with other contaminants (molds) and life forms. It's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be. There are many other (more harmful)contaminants to worry about so consider yourself lucky Just get the place cleaned up. Do it yourself and save the money and don't let the contaminant companies take you for a ride and exagerate the (possible) dangers of Aspergillus. Whether you like it or not, no matter how clean you keep your house, we all live with countless numbers of contaminants everyday (some of which can cause bacterial infections, but most of which actually help to boost the immune system )

And yes.....moving sux!! Especially when you own a truck and have too many friends that do not

I average about 3 moves a month Time to get a GEO I guess

Congrats on the house and the kiddo
I agree completely. I also have some extensive microbiology training, and it's my belief that people blow it WAY out of proportion. I have a friend who summed it up very well be saying 'contamination is the rule, infection is the exception'. In other words, molds and bacteria are everywhere. However, getting ill from them is rather rare considering how much your are exposed to.

It just so happens that I am in the construction industry now and mold is considered the new asbestos, only worse. Everyone in our company takes extensive mold training courses. This fear of everything microbial has opened up a legal can of worms much larger than anyone could have every guessed. There are a couple of provinces in Canada that even consider construction materials contaminated with mold to be toxic waste, so any mold remediation projects have to be handled by 'experts' (i.e. guys who have a short course and a license to gouge you). You are also not allowed to treat it yourself with bleach as chlorine reacting with compounds in concrete produce another toxic product. You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

I understand the stresses with the new baby and moving (I have 2 young ones myself and moved for a new job recently). However, for liability reasons, I would let the experts 'fix the problem' and sign off on it, so you have some legal protection that will cover you in case anything unforseen might happen.

Good luck on the test results today. I hope you get in your house right away.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM

I'm sitting here figuring out how many times I've moved...not including back 'n forth to college...

I'm counting 7 times. That's since 1992. The longest i stayed in anyone place (other than mom's) was 4 years...that was the one place i actually owned and didn't rent.

We expect to stay here in this house 'til the kids are all off to school - probably 10 years.

moving, while it's a PITA, can be a good time to throw stuff out, find stuff you haven't seen in a while and start over in places that maybe got over-cluttered. I am appalled by how much dust i find when i move - i always vow to keep a better house. The vow always lasts at least 2-3 weeks.

good luck...have a garage sale!
~Kenny
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Reviews: 120

Been there done that 6 months ago, and yes, major pain in the @sss! We're still trying to clean out stuff, especially now that baby is on the way. Good luck with it all, I'm sure it will all fall in to place. we had similar scares (as do most I think) where you don't think you are going to make it all on time, but it always does for the most part.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok, here's the deal. The mold count went down by 5,000, which is nice, but not quite where it needs to be. It's about 5,000 off, but the mold guys agreed to sign a document guaranteeing the removal at no additional cost, and are putting extra air scrubbers in the basement as we speak. So pending a re-appraisal (guess the bank is questioning why the appraisal came in so high), I am all set to close on Wednesday.

Thanks for the encouragement, and the information about the mold. I'll update you when the papers are signed and we are officially moving in.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Moving does suck. I have moved more times than I can count.( I think 2 yrs in one place is the max, I'm 37 now, so you do the math ) I wish you all the best though. New places can be exciting!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Self storage is the answer!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Self storage is the answer!
Self storage is one of the reasons we are moving. I currently own two storage facilities, one that's 10ft x 10ft, and one that is 10ft x 25 ft. Both are full, that's how much crap we have . We are trying to buy a home where we don't need to use self storage anymore!

Tags
custom shop , fender custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode