Moving countries and major life choices - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Moving countries and major life choices

Hi guys,

My Girlfriends parents are emigrating from the UK to Fredericton (Canada) in a couple of months.

Me and my girlfriend want to move to Canada also. She is doing a degree in Ecology and is thinking of transferring to a University in Canada next year.

Ok here is the problem.

I am a musician and recording studio engineer, i have 16 years experience in the music industry.

The problem we are having is where to move to in Canada, i visited Vancouver last year and loved it.

I was wondering if anyone on here could shed some light on where in Canada is good for music, the short list of places is Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto. As i don't know much about these cities i was wondering if anyone could offer any advice?

It looks more like Toronto is the winner at the moment because the university of Toronto offers the same Ecology course as my girlfriend is doing in the UK but she is willing to look at other places so that we are both happy with where we are going

I'm completely stuck with what to do and its starting to strain my
relationship.

I just want a good base to start with so i can teach music and be surrounded by a healthy live scene and recording scene to tap into.

If anyone could offer any advice it would be great

Cheers

Beavisjem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Moving countries and major life choices

well vancouver was voted best place to live in the world on bbc news website yesterday (or day before). My brothers been there and he says its amazing place. I've had a few hours in Toronto and I was impressed by the city. So if its down to them two you can go wrong (location wise, not sure on music recording scene, but i'd imagine Toronto wont be a problem there).

Good look with your venture, Canada is a really nice country
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Reviews: 4

I remember this guy(gemini8026)posted a cool song he did in the media section last month and he lives in Canada. Mabye he could help you out...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM

Reviews: 65

Well I worked in Toronto for half a year and it is an amazing city.

Music and Film industry are both doing well there and you have several music studios and movie companies around. (If you are interested in music for movies that is...)

The great ontario lake is near and so it is very lovely in summer, you can walk from downtowm to the lake (actually downtown is right at the lake...).

There are also many nice pubs and clubs around for live music or for just hangin out and having some nice food. Of course hockey is around all the time

In winter it can get quite cold there and you really should have a good car (which are quite cheap there). I had a big Ford Explorer and had no problems, smaller cars tend to have slide problems with the heavy ice in winter...

Another plus is: With about 90min drive you are in the US or the Niagara Falls. So you can go shopping in the US and have the very cool falls near by.

I was very pleased with Toronto and could imagine to live there.

I hope that helps, I have only been to Vancouver for a small visit 4 days. It was really nice, but would not judge the city from only 4 days experience.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 AM

I've only ever heard great things about Vancouver, and given that some people will complain about anything, I think Vancouver would be my first choice. Toronto is likely much larger though, so there's dewfinitely a vibe in a big city that is impossible to recreate outside a city.

Any chance you can do a quick vacation and check them both out? I'd do that if at all possible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 AM

I have lived in Calgary and spent quite a bit of time in Vancouver. Here's my 2 cents worth on the 3 cities you chose:

Vancouver: Good music scene, warm (relatively speaking), housing can be
expensive (especially right in Vancouver), good universities, potential for
longer commutes (depending on where you live in relation to school or work), laid back liberal attitude, quite tolerant of pot smoking (subjective on whether this is a pro or con), close to Whistler and other mountains (skiing, snowboarding, mountainbiking, hiking), right on the Pacific Ocean, close to the U.S. (Seattle, Portland are great cities as well), in winter, much of the season is overcast and rainy.

Calgary: Very prosperous city (this can change quickly if oil prices tank), very close to Rocky Mountains (Banff, Lake Louis, Kananaskis etc.), attractive city full of young professionals (however, there are also a lot of people trying to 'keep up with the Jonses' with regards to materialism (cars, houses)), I was disappointed with the Ecology Program when I interviewed to do my Masters, traffic can be a bi***, housing prices have skyrocketed in the last 5 years, relatively weak music scene (most bands move to Vancouver when they hit it big - e.g. Nickelback - love 'em or hate 'em).

Toronto: Tank's comments are quite accurate from what I understand (Toronto is the city that I have the least experience with). I think you can also add the smog factor (Toronto is also known as 'The Big Smoke').

In Canada, taxes are much higher than our American neighbours (income tax, sales tax). These taxes bring some benfits as well (subsidized education, free universal health care). In most cases, the hospitals are bursting at the seams (due to underfunded public system) so you might not get as quick attention as you would from a private health care provider.

Canada can also get a little cold (Tuesday and Wednesday were -53 degrees Celcius with windchill where I live). However, the summers are nice!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:51 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention if your girlfriend also wants to stay relatively close to her parents, Toronto would be the best choice. Canada is a big country (it's almost a week to drive across Canada from Vancouver to Fredricton), and the flights within Canada are quite expensive (probably around $1200 to fly from Vancouver to New Brunswick).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM

I'm hopefully going on holiday with my parents to vancouver this year because I have family over there.

My Uncle went on one holiday there and fell in love with it and decided to move.

I can't wait to see what it's like over there, as I want to be in the music business later in life and it would be great to be in a city where I still have family.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:45 AM

For those that like to smoke the odd wacky tobacky cigarette, Vancouver is very tolerant.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mark View Post
For those that like to smoke the odd wacky tobacky cigarette, Vancouver is very tolerant.
NOW I'm interested.

haha j/k

Never touched the stuff

-Sean
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
NOW I'm interested.

haha j/k

Never touched the stuff

-Sean
Yeah, me neither. It is a draw for a lot of people to Vancouver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode