Moving out tomorrow - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Cool Moving out tomorrow

Hey, guys.

I know I posted threads about this before but I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to be moving out tomorrow afternoon into my own place. Unfortunately we have to drive about 3 hrs to get there.

So, I'm just really freaking out right now. Just thinking to myself... Can i really do this, can i afford it, what's it going to be like, and everything else that you can think of... o and how the hell do I cook? :-)

I just left my job at Wally world and will be starting at Sam's Club on Wednesday at 10am so this will be neat. I'm really worried about the job actually I'm kinda happy with that. It feels like I'm starting a whole new job. I was oh so tired of wally world.

Anyway, I should be back online in about 2 days or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:22 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Moving out tomorrow

Nothing like being a baby bird leaving the nest. Almost all of us have done it once.

Seriously though, what's the worst that could happen? You make a few bad meals as you learn how to cook. Ask you mother for the recipes for things she makes that you like. Not only will she be able to coach you (if you need it) but eating some "home" cooking will make you feel better. Besides, cooking is only as complicated as you make it. I ate a lot of chicken stir fry when I first struck out on my own.

Make a budget, stick to it and watch every penny until you get in a financial rhythm. Sticking to a budget only requires basic math skills and discipline. Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

One trick I do for our household budget is I enter in all of our paychecks and bills for the entire year. I also track how much variable bills are (e.g. utilities) just to get an average to use. Anyway, by doing this I know where money is coming from and going to for the whole year and when it comes time to pay a bill, the money is already deducted (so to speak) which psychologically feels better.

BTW, where are you moving to in IL?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
Hey, guys.

I know I posted threads about this before but I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to be moving out tomorrow afternoon into my own place. Unfortunately we have to drive about 3 hrs to get there.

So, I'm just really freaking out right now. Just thinking to myself... Can i really do this, can i afford it, what's it going to be like, and everything else that you can think of... o and how the hell do I cook? :-)

I just left my job at Wally world and will be starting at Sam's Club on Wednesday at 10am so this will be neat. I'm really worried about the job actually I'm kinda happy with that. It feels like I'm starting a whole new job. I was oh so tired of wally world.

Anyway, I should be back online in about 2 days or so.
My best wishes to you man, good luck! I'm still young (17) so I can't give you any advice :P
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:28 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Moving out tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Nothing like being a baby bird leaving the nest. Almost all of us have done it once.
And I'll bet some of us have done it more than once.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
And I'll bet some of us have done it more than once.
Oh hell yeah.

The first time is the scary one though. I remember starting off feeling pretty lonely, but after a week or so I felt fantastic.

Actually moving back in with parents was way worse than moving out!

My tips:

Watch your money as toneboy says

If you don't have friends in the town you are moving join a few clubs and get out and meet people.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 AM

Im ready to move out. My folks dont care for loud guitars. And I also want a handgun and they, along with other people, dont want me having a glock.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Good luck man!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words.

I actually moved from Moline, IL to Ames, IA. It's about 3 hrs away and so far I'm deft. enjoying the town. Friendly people, small town feel.

However, I do need to sit down with my room mate before he drives me mad. :-)

I think I have a budget set but I never really had one before. I'm planning on just putting everything into a checking account and just watch it from there. Anyway, I'll do some research here soon.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Okay, Guys. I hope everyone can find this cause I need some advice. I don't really want to start another topic so we can save "space."

Well, I've been living on my own for at least 7 days now. Everything is going good.
I'm learning how to cook, get around the town and meeting some people.

However, here's the problem. My friend is really big into socializing. Which is fine with me but he's constantly having friends over all hours of the day and night. Since day one he's had at least two different friends for like what seems to be 11 hours. They'll get here around 2 or so and stay till 2-3 in the morning and now he's started having his girlfriend spending the night. This is the 3rd night now that he's done this. I feel quit uncomfortable with this. I really like his girlfriend but I think this is unnecessary. If our landlord finds out about this I can almost guarantee that we would be fine for unauthorized people staying here. If she's going to be staying 3 nights out of the week or more. She can help out with rent and food. Besides, in the end it doesn't really feel like it's my apartment.

Now, I know I am struggling with homesickness and I'm trying to keep my feelings out of this. So, what do you folks suggest I do or say? I really don't want this to ruin our friendship or anything. I also don't want to be an anal room mate
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
Okay, Guys. I hope everyone can find this cause I need some advice. I don't really want to start another topic so we can save "space."

Well, I've been living on my own for at least 7 days now. Everything is going good.
I'm learning how to cook, get around the town and meeting some people.

However, here's the problem. My friend is really big into socializing. Which is fine with me but he's constantly having friends over all hours of the day and night. Since day one he's had at least two different friends for like what seems to be 11 hours. They'll get here around 2 or so and stay till 2-3 in the morning and now he's started having his girlfriend spending the night. This is the 3rd night now that he's done this. I feel quit uncomfortable with this. I really like his girlfriend but I think this is unnecessary. If our landlord finds out about this I can almost guarantee that we would be fine for unauthorized people staying here. If she's going to be staying 3 nights out of the week or more. She can help out with rent and food. Besides, in the end it doesn't really feel like it's my apartment.

Now, I know I am struggling with homesickness and I'm trying to keep my feelings out of this. So, what do you folks suggest I do or say? I really don't want this to ruin our friendship or anything. I also don't want to be an anal room mate
Just wait until you get your own GF man, you'll want her round 8 days a week!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM

hey man, that's a tough call and i was there. roommate/good friend had people over while i sat in my room playing guitar or out with my girlfriend / now wife. i felt like the place wasn't mine. they would eat my food, he wouldn't contribute, wouldn't clean, his gf slept over 3 days during the week and they stayed up really late at night, keeping me up. it got to the point where i didn't care and i had to say something after a few months...but i didn't have to. he started living at her place almost everyday. it got to the point where he would only show up to pay his half of the rent...so i lived in the place by myself. i was lucky. it will work out. i know it can be rough but if you guys are close just let him know how you feel. say something like, i am not telling you what to do, but i feel like this place isn't mine because of all the people over... or just mention the landlord thing and you don't want to get in trouble and risk losing the place. he should be cool with it. you have to look out for yourself. if it gets really bad you can leave...but i don't think it will come to that. you're wrestling with a lot right now. new place, away from home first time, 3 hours away from home actually.... it's a lot to take on. that is a huge part of your feeling bad. it will change. it's all still very new. he probably doesn't see how you feel. i'm sure he's just hangin' out with his girlfriend with you as a roommate. he may say, do you want me to not hang out with her here? and you will say no, of course not..... so, there really may not be a resolution.

Tags
freak out , life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode