Moving soon aka too many guitars to move! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Moving soon aka too many guitars to move!

I'm moving from Long Island, NY to Chesapeake, VA with 22 electric, 1 bass and 1 electric acoustic Ibanezes in about 2 weeks. I can fit 3 in my car (since I have to bring my PC and stuff) and the rest are going on the moving truck. All the electrics are in hard cases, the bass and acoustic are in gig bags and my plan right now is to use wardrobe boxes (I can fit 4 in a box and wrap them in a blanket to fill out the extra space in the boxes) and have the movers lay them down handle side up on the floor of the truck so as not to get the brunt of the harsh summer temperatures (Luckily, NY hasn't been that hot lately). They're going to be on the moving truck for 3 days, probably. Only the electric acoustic is a glued neck. All the rest are mostly bolt-ons with a few neck throughs, if that helps. Any other advice to make sure my collection gets to my new place with minimum problems?

Last edited by Jack Secret; 07-04-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:41 AM

Re: Moving soon aka too many guitars to move!

You can never, ever go wrong with bubble wrap. I'd put as much as possible inside the cases and around them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 AM

You'll be fine Jack. I have moved my entire collection from North Carolina to Munich to Kuwait and back to North Carolina in the last three years. Just let them sit inside your new home for a day or so in the case before you open them. You may have to do some fine tuning but mine were all completely fine.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 AM

Welcome to VA. I am in Richmond and you can ship your excess guitars to me to hold for you.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Welcome to VA. I am in Richmond and you can ship your excess guitars to me to hold for you.
Funny how everyone seems to make that offer :P

Thanks, Gilky. I figured I'd have to let them acclimate to their new environment when they arrive. BTW, sorry to see you have to let your PGM10th go. I love mine to death.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Little update. I'm a week away from moving. I have multitudes of bubble wrap in which to cushion my collection. I'm no longer sorry Gilky sold his PGM10th because I bought it from him. LOL. With luck, within three weeks, I'll be all set up and have the Fireman and 2 JCustoms I bought from Rich. Also, I have commandeered the spare room on the second level to turn into my guitar room and all parties have acquiesced to my demands. It's good to be king. Let's hope my collection arrives unscathed, which it should. I'm sure any of us would be a bit worried in circumstances like this.

Tags
moving guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode