mp3 downloads - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

mp3 downloads

where do you guys go to get tunes for your ipod? i'm not talking about free stuff...i'm all about paying. i have never used napster and i never will. itunes would be great but they have nothing! no vinnie moore, no macalpine! no stratovarius...impelliterri.....you see where i'm going.

thanks,
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 PM

Re: mp3 downloads

I never understood why lots of people ar crazy about downloading music. I can understand if you don't pay for it (yeah, I do sometimes to check out an album before buying it) but I just don't get it when people give nearly the same amount of money a CD costs and DOWNLOADS an album.

Buying in CD format is your best option as far as I am concerned, at very least you will have something that you can touch, you can store for the coming years in a nice case.

Is there a specific reason you want to pay and download?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost View Post
Buying in CD format is your best option as far as I am concerned, at very least you will have something that you can touch, you can store for the coming years in a nice case.
Thats always been my opinion too.

When a full album on iTunes (and the variants) costs nearly as much as a CD you can buy in a shop or store. I'd rather buy the CD, and have the real CD on hard copy that I can keep forever.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:55 AM

I simply buy my stuff from guitar9. I don't like itunes because everything seems to be coupled to the ipod and I like the Creative Vision better.

Regards

André

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: mp3 downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost View Post
I never understood why lots of people ar crazy about downloading music. I can understand if you don't pay for it (yeah, I do sometimes to check out an album before buying it) but I just don't get it when people give nearly the same amount of money a CD costs and DOWNLOADS an album.

Is there a specific reason you want to pay and download?
Well, sometimes that's the only option to buy a particular song or album when it's out of print. Case in point, try to find the "Guitars that ruled the world" albums. You may be able to find some on the bay or amazon but since the cd's are out of print, you can't go to your local best buy and get the cd's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
I simply buy my stuff from guitar9. I don't like itunes because everything seems to be coupled to the ipod and I like the Creative Vision better.

Regards

André
With the iTunes store, you're not limited to storing the music on your ipod. You can resave the file as an mp3 and you should be able to access it without restrictions.

Jimmy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
With the iTunes store, you're not limited to storing the music on your ipod. You can resave the file as an mp3 and you should be able to access it without restrictions.

Jimmy
Really? I always heard that this was more or less impossible.

Regards

André

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

iTunes music is always restricted with fairplay DRM... you'd have to burn the iTunes music to CDs (low quality audio CD actually) then rip the CD and reencode to un-drm'd format.

iTunes store is good for "disposable" and forgettable songs (you don't want to hear in a few months) but you'd be silly to use it for long term music library.. glen
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Alltunes.com
It's a grey area as far as legality, but it's not condemned yet.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
iTunes music is always restricted with fairplay DRM... you'd have to burn the iTunes music to CDs (low quality audio CD actually) then rip the CD and reencode to un-drm'd format.

iTunes store is good for "disposable" and forgettable songs (you don't want to hear in a few months) but you'd be silly to use it for long term music library.. glen
There's a (slightly) better alternative to that without using any 3rd party programs...

If you go to Edit, Preferences, advanced, import...choose the convert to WAV option.

Convert the songs to wav and the DRM is gone. Then convert back to mp3! Some quality will still be lost, but it's certainly less time consuming then burning and ripping a CD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

that is a good tip. i didn't think iTunes allowed you to convert .m4p to .wav but that is alot easier
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

good question...and i always thought the same. i like the booklet and the physical cd. but then i see my collection of cd's to be of crazy size and i find myself almost needing to buy yet another rack case for the office. i'm getting more into downsizing and making things "clean." if i cut out the middleman and download, i won't have the cd's and i can just rip my entire collection (few weeks) that i currently have, to the hard drive, and get rid of the racks on the floor. the ones that are ripped i have a feeling i will never need the cds again. i can easily rip any format to wav but it's realtime and a pain. i will still buy the cds if it's something i really want forever but for the most part, it's all about saving space. i wouldn't spend what itunes wants but i also wouldn't download for nothing either. the artists need to get some money and free sites usually carry virus' with them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM

An iTunes album is £7.99 in the UK and most CD's in stores are around £12. As somebody else said the choice of music is limited on iTunes especially the UK store, and it would be great to find somewhere else you could get it (legally)

All my CD's are in a box in my garage I am totally digital at home and in the car.

Tags
vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode