My life changing experience.... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18
Smile My life changing experience....

So Thursday (November 29th), I get a call at work from my wife, who tells me that she's been told that she is to be induced. While we were both aware that it wouldn't go past Friday when Holly would be induced, Thursday was certainly a shocker because the things we wanted to get prepared for had to be put on hold.

My wife had a great pregnancy up until a couple of months ago. Her blood pressure started to rise and she eventualy got put on medication for high blood pressure and put on bed rest. With those issues came the swelling and water weight associated with symptoms of preclamsya (forgive me if my spelling is incorrect).

When I got to the hospital, I thought to myself "well, she'll probably get her drugs and we'll be parents by dinner time" (this was at 1pm). Thursday came and I remained at Holly's side all night long, sleeping on a little couch and tending to her needs like getting her cold towels and putting them on her forehead because the magnesium sulfate was giving her headaches. At 10pm on Thursday, the doctors cut off her dose of pitocin because it was not doing much.

The next day, at 10:30, the doctors put her back on pitocin and set a cutoff timeframe in which, they would look into "other options" (the possibility of a c-section was always kept in the back burner).

At 4:30 pm on Friday (Nov. 30), the doctor had a "strategy talk" with me and basically advised me that the best course of action would be to do the c-section because the baby was not "dropping" as they were hoping to.

Despite a few issues with her epidural injection, she was finally on her way to the operating room and at 6:01pm, our son was born.

We are both so happy that he's here that, at times, we feel in disbelief that he's here.

Alexander William was born 2,5 weeks ahead of his scheduled birth, which would have been December 16th. He was 5 pounds, 10 ounces. Although he's not a premie, he's not full term either. Thankfully, he wasn't required to stay at the hospital because he's fully developed, and did not have any risks.

I thought I'd share my life-changing experience with my Jemsite family. So, without further ado, here are some pictures:

All the pics were shot with my new Canon EOS 40D with an ISO setting of 800.

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 12-05-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 PM

Re: My life changing experience....

Jesus, dude, you had me worried at first. Half way through the story I thought you were going to have some bad news.

Glad everything worked out.
Alexander is what I want to name my son when I have one. Good choice.

Congrats a thousand times over.

Nick
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Banned

Congrats!!!

It must be SO weird, having a person come out of you :S
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 01:57 AM

omg congrats on being a dad !
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 AM

Congrats Jimmy, he's just perfect!
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 03:06 AM

Cute. You have spousal approval I suppose? Congratulations, and best wishes on the healing of the wife.

May you have many many MANY happy sleepless nights.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 AM

Congrats Jimmy! I can sympathise...the pic with your wife and baby is similar to one I took (and probably many other dads ) It's very sweet, congrats again. He's a cute little critter and no doubt will get prettier by the day
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:43 AM

AWESOME Jimmy and congrats

Glad everything worked out well (sounds like quite the scare)

BTW - you look exactly the opposite of what I had envisioned you looking like. Take that as you will

Congrats again my friend!!!

Here's to having kids, sleepless nights, grouchy spouses, funky smells, mustard fingers.....and...and...and....

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 AM

I know how you feel. Watching my two kids being born is an experience that moved me in a way word can not express.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 AM

Awesome. Nothing prepares you for that moment when your child is born. It's the best. Congrats man!!!
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 AM

Wow.....that first pic is a cheesier grin than any of the "Just won a JEM" guys

Congratz and best wishes
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 AM

Wow Jimmy, so pleased everything worked out for the best. That's a great family you have there, enjoy it.
God bless.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 AM

Congratulations - beautiful baby. 2 1/2 weeks early = no problem at all, except your son may spend his entire adult life missing those few days and trying to get back into a warm safe place........

Bet you don't lose that grin for months!
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM

Amazing! Congrats dude!
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Reviews: 1

Welcome to da hood.........(parenthood, that is).

Now go to the bank and take out a long-term Growth fund - invest 2 grand now and by the time he goes to college it'll pay for school.

-jemaholic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode