My little secret - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Dug

My little secret

I am seriously contemplating giving up playing after 20 years. It just seems that now that I have children I cant afford getting any new equipment. I cant do some of the things I want to and have compromised some of my recordings by cutting corners.
As a matter of fact, the reason I have a guitar port that cost $99 was because thats all I could afford and cant get a "rack of effects and nice amp."
My 5150 OLP...although it looks nice... doesnt allow me a floating trem or 24 frets. I cant get new pickups. The action could be lower but its starts buzzing. Whats the point?
I have always wanted to do something with my music, even if it was just to be good at cover tunes. That made me happy, but since I cant seem to do that without shotrcutting it kind of takes the fun out of it.
I havent 100% decided yet what I am doing. I will always play a little but my recording stints and forum activity may slow down or stop.
Say a little prayer for me that something will come along and inspire me again, whether it be a new guitar or Steve Vai comes over and slaps the crap out of me. We'll see what happens.
By the way, this isnt a spur of the moment thing. I have been mulling this over for the past month or so.
20 years of playing and I really have nothing to show for it.
For those that have showed support..i appreciate it. I hope I pull out of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Re: My little secret

Just scale down, 1 guitar, 1 amp ( Maybe a half stack ) and a few effects, join a cover or own material band who also maybe dont want to rush things, just do it when you can in time.

Theres always Myspace to get your music out there, learn stuff from another genre ( I.e country ) than your own, maybe practice an hour a night or something, but above all, do your best to learn something new every day!

Sounds to me like its the " equipment " that keeps you on guitar, thats not good.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 05:34 PM

cmon you cant tell me you wouldn't miss that feeling you get when you nail something perfectly, or when you wake up in the morning and your fingers seem to almost play by themselves?

erk dude its always a shame to lose a guitarist, i hope you pull out of it
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Woooooo...step back and take a deep breath. Right now you are just feeling frustrated, and you need a break. Take a week, a month, whatever and spend some time doing something else. When you come back to playing, it will feel different.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:14 PM

i agree with ayrton, even when u dont play for a few days and come back, u realise that ur a much better musician than u think u are. sounds egotistical but its true
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 AM

I'm not so sure.

I'm back playing guitar after giving up the bagpipes...... thirty years and I was very good indeed. After thirty years of doing a job I'd be seriously considering retiring.

As a guitarist, I'm low-average but improving; hopefully I'll end up at a level of average average! What's important, though, is the challenge, something I haven't really felt in any of my other instruments in years.

Sometimes the desire just goes....

Dug: don't get rid of anything. Mothball and climate control it, and take a year off. Pick the instrument up at the end of that year and see how it goes. Sometimes a sabbatical is the best thing you can do.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Dug

Well, considering today is my birthday.....I think I will JAM today!
Thanks for all the kind words. I think I was just in a funk. I will pull out of it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I hope you do pull out of it Doug, because you certainly have alot of talent in those fingers of yours.
You say you can only afford a Guitar Port and an OLP guitar, but have you really seriously re-listened to your recordings? there would be people on here (myself included), who would die to achieve the tones you get, let alone your playing ability. It would be sad too hear that you had given up playing.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug View Post
Well, considering today is my birthday.....I think I will JAM today!
Thanks for all the kind words. I think I was just in a funk. I will pull out of it.
Cool, it's my birthday as well! I'm getting too old though
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gurj.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Thanks Anne. I feel a drink coming on!

Dug, don't give up permanently mate. Take some time off and I'm sure you'll get that urge back for playing. I'd stopped playing for about 5 years because I'd realised I was never going to be as good as I wanted and I found that very frustrating. But since I picked up my guitar three years ago I just play for fun and actually enjoy it more than ever.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 AM

Reviews: 18

Consider getting a part-time job to pay for new equipment. Although that's comething that will further cut down on your playing time, it'll allow you to get the gear yo want and you won't have to justify it to your wife since your current income won't get compromised.

Jimmy

P.S.: Happy Birthday Dug! I hope you have a great day
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Dug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
Cool, it's my birthday as well! I'm getting too old though
Happy birthday Gurj!
36 for me.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 AM

As I'm slightly younger than you (34), Happy Birthday mate
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GURJ AND DUG!!! My birthday is on the 24th and I'm going to make my neighbors complain with my pitiful little amp!!!
Sure your slump Dug, might not be a little birthday related?

Tags
guitar port , playing guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

where to buy the secret jewel box
vai secret jewle where?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode