My new computer. Warning, for geeks only!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

My new computer. Warning, for geeks only!!

Ok, got my new massive holy sh!t computer today!!

Mac Pro with 2 3.2 Quad Core Intel Xeon "Harpertown" processors (that's right baby, 8 cores!!) with 16 gigs of 800MHz DDR2 fully buffered DIMM memory. I also have 4 300 Gig 15,000 RPM SAS drives that are all in a Raid 5 for absolutely lightning fast performance.

Whether you like Macs or PCs, blah blah blah, you have to admit that this machine is f*cking awesome!!! This is by far the fastest machine I have ever touched in my life, and it's all mine.

Installing CS3 & Final Cut Studio 2 right now, can't wait for my first HD render or my first Compressor render. After Effects should blaze on this puppy too!

New computer days are always fun! I've let other folks get new systems the past few times and now it's my turn. It was worth the wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Re: My new computer. Warning, for geeks only!!

nice although i think that the ram you have is total overkill does your os even support that ammount i know windows pc support max of 8 gigs but your system puts my duel core athlon x2 6000 2 gig of pc 6400 radeon x1950 pro maudio2496 to shame i think its even crying lol
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem20thlover View Post
16 gigs of 800MHz DDR2 fully buffered DIMM memory.
Whoa...
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Dee

I can only imagine how fast that thing is. Well done.

Drizz, don't worry about it, I'm still on an A64 3200+ and 1 GB RAM. And it still gets the job done.

So... Jem20thLover, how much did it cost? Post pics, too.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Remember, at 3 x 10^8 m/s, the speed of light is the universal speed limit.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM

heheheh i aint worried i dont upgrade till i throw a game at it that wot run on medium to high settings that way i have more money to spend on guitar things
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt75 View Post
nice although i think that the ram you have is total overkill does your os even support that ammount i know windows pc support max of 8 gigs but your system puts my duel core athlon x2 6000 2 gig of pc 6400 radeon x1950 pro maudio2496 to shame i think its even crying lol
It isn't overkill at all. Final Cut Pro utilizes up to 32 GB of Ram, and when you are using a program like Compressor you need every bit of it.

I can't wait to do some speed tests on this baby, too bad I have to wait because the install of the Final Cut Suite is 51.9 Gigs & my Adobe CS3 Master Collection is 19 Gigs, takes FOREVER to install this stuff, it's driving me crazy!!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM

That's some serious power!!!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I can only imagine how fast that thing is. Well done.

Drizz, don't worry about it, I'm still on an A64 3200+ and 1 GB RAM. And it still gets the job done.

So... Jem20thLover, how much did it cost? Post pics, too.
We have a special Apple account because we buy so much crap from them (you should see all our external Raids). This machine cost right under $9,000, but I didn't buy the RAM from Apple, they are insane on RAM prices. They want $3500, I got it for $1400, so all together $10,400 total (which includes OSX Server and the upgraded video card and all that mess).

I know it's alot for a computer, but it should give you an idea about how much money this computer produces .
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It isn't overkill at all. Final Cut Pro utilizes up to 32 GB of Ram, and when you are using a program like Compressor you need every bit of it.

I can't wait to do some speed tests on this baby, too bad I have to wait because the install of the Final Cut Suite is 51.9 Gigs & my Adobe CS3 Master Collection is 19 Gigs, takes FOREVER to install this stuff, it's driving me crazy!!
yea but if the os doesnt support more than a certain amount the program wont access it i dunno bout macs just thought id let you know is all
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
We have a special Apple account because we buy so much crap from them (you should see all our external Raids). This machine cost right under $9,000, but I didn't buy the RAM from Apple, they are insane on RAM prices. They want $3500, I got it for $1400, so all together $10,400 total (which includes OSX Server and the upgraded video card and all that mess).

I know it's alot for a computer, but it should give you an idea about how much money this computer produces .
So I'll ask what you do, but I'm hoping you don't tell me you're a Starbucks' Barista...

Nice sounding system...
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt75 View Post
yea but if the os doesnt support more than a certain amount the program wont access it i dunno bout macs just thought id let you know is all
OSX supports 32 gigs of ram . Each of the 8 cores can have up to 4 gigs of ram at it's disposal .
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
So I'll ask what you do, but I'm hoping you don't tell me you're a Starbucks' Barista...

Nice sounding system...
I own a production studio. Though sometimes I wish I was a Starbucks' Barista, mmmmm triple con pana's all day!!!
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM

I'd only be impressed if you had Nvidia Tesla technology.....
but for real.... Tesla would cut down sooo much computing power for graphics related things, since it is basically the processor of graphics cards and not actually a graphics card. I think 2 Tesla cards (like 2k each) make a computer Super Computer Status
btw..... want to lend me some money ? hahaha

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 02-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM

wooooooooooooooooo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode