My photography work - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
My photography work

I've just bought a flickr Pro Account and now I have plenty of space to show my pictures. Take a look and comment, if possible:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlos_seo/

Or:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlos_seo/sets/

If you prefer to see them organized in albums.

Warm regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:17 PM

Re: My photography work

Nice!! you should be a photographer
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 AM

Nice, you have the technical side of it mastered - care to share what equipment you are using?

There were some real standouts, but a lot of the pictures just seemed to "obvious" in some ways - as in they were pictures you would expect to see in a magazine or a tourist guide. That's fine if you want to show off your technical skill (which you clearly have), but they were not that interesting artistically. Not like I should be saying that - I am a horrible photographer...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:47 AM

what are you using for flash? looks like on-cam flash. most of the shots are not lit that well. shadowing around the borders. did you mean for it to be like that? good overall, just noticed that the shots seemed to not be lit that well. only mean as constructive.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 AM

excellent. i like the pic of the water drop. nice work
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

carlos - very nice work overall. you can tell time was spent with each shot. does flickr allow people to view higher-res photos? ... glen
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys! Let's answer questions individually:

pawel, I'm using crappy gear for now. It's just an old Canon Powershot A85. Some older shots (the ones I took back in 1995) were taken using a Nikon N50 SLR and the film negative was scanned at 300 dpi resolution. And, yes, most pictures are just technical. I've just started studying photography this year (until then, it was just an ordinary spare-time activity), so I'm still learning the basics about taking good artistic photos.

shredmaster, as I've mentioned above, I'm currently using a very simple handcam for my shots. The flash is awful and I have to improvise in most shots. The shadowing thing was made on purpose because the flash light distorts the original colors. So, I improvise a small piece of white paper just below the flash lamp (a little angled up) to make the flash light more diffuse and not hit the object directly. This technique works great indoors and you can get some very satisfactory results in open areas.

vette6600, thanks! That one was achieved after 184 unsuccessful shots! It's very hard to make this kind of photo using a compact camera.

Glen, yes it does if the owner has a Pro Account (my case). But for now, I'm just allowing people who have a flick account and are in my contact list to download them in full size (I upload them in 1600x1200 resolution). But, if any of you want a specific picture in a higher resolution (I have plenty of them at 2272x1704 resolution), just pm me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:43 PM

I think your photos are very good conisdering you are using a point and shoot. You should really try and get a digital slr. I've noticed used Canon 10D's are a good deal on E'bay right now. They are really good pro cameras for the money.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Actually I'm getting a Nikon D70s soon. The reason I'm going for a Nikon is that I can use all my lens and accessories I have for my N50.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 04:31 PM

No!!!! not Nikon!! Just kidding, they are great cameras. Be sure to post more photos once you get the D70. btw, have you looked at the D50? It might be a good option too.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

The D50 seems to be a good option too, despite its slower shutter. I'll check it out as soon as possible!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:23 PM

Very nice work.........
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 11:57 PM

Reviews: 3

D70? Anyone who is anyone is going 35mm with a slide scanner for the house.

Kidding...

Anyway, nice work. Very creative method of working with crummy built-in flash. I'll have to give that a shot with my junker A80.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 01:38 AM

Beautiful work Carlos.

I haven't been really serious into photography since the early '80s. Back then, it took a few years until I was able to capture shots comparable to yours.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 06:49 AM

I love the pictures man, those macro pictures are amazing.

The picture with the stained glass is beautiful too.

I still have a Canon EOS1N lying around the house, but never got round to learning how to use it. Expensive graduation present from my photo enthusiastic godfather. LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode