My trip to Rwanda - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

My trip to Rwanda

I recently had the opportunity to travel to Rwanda with a friend from high school. We both went off to different undergrads, but since he was returning home for the last time in the next four years, he wanted me to come with him.

In Rwanda, there is a very pronounced dichotomy between the rich and the poor. Fortunately, I was staying with his family who is fairly well-off. I did not live the typical African lifestyle, but I saw much of Kigali, both rich and poor, and my view of the world has been changed forever. I now understand why people try so hard to get into the US. I am now much more fortunate for what I have and where I am. I am not much of a picture taker, but here are the few I did take:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3987787...57594165699176

I stayed at Princeton for a week before we departed for Africa, so I got a few pictures of NYC. I even saw Steve Jobs at the Apple store!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 PM

Re: My trip to Rwanda

Hey Jeff long time no see . Cool pics.

Regards

André

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Good to see you here again - trips like this are a real eye-opener, especially if you have spent most of your life in the US. Cool pictures!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I am really glad I went. Not only have I always lived in the US, I have always lived in Kansas. The past few years, I have really noticed how this area, and my town in particular, is a very sheltered region. There is no diversity of people here, but the high school I attended has a boarding program that hosts a number of international students. One of the best decisions I ever made was befriending several of them, even if no other US student did. I may have lived in Kansas my whole life, but I learned so much about the world simply by hanging out with other kids from across the globe.

When I returned home from my trip, I was somewhat disappointed. I was bursting forth with stories of what I saw and did in Africa. I came into work after 3 weeks of being gone, and people were honestly more excited about one of the programmers getting a new car than hearing about life on the other side of the globe. From what I garnered, people thought it was no cooler than taking a trip to Florida or Nebraska, but I guess you can't be excited for someone.

I am extremely glad I got this opportunity, and if anyone else has the opportunity to travel to Africa, I would tell you to do so in a heartbeat, just be careful. It is a beautiful continent with some great people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to plan a road trip with a trailer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode