NAMM Pictures - size opinions - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

NAMM Pictures - size opinions

I'll be shooting with a new Cannon this year and since it has a 2gig card, well, i'm never had unlimited storage like that before. I'll shoot in 3200 [just because I can!] and then batch reduce the size in photoshop to useable size for the site. The question is, what size would you guys like to see, or be most useable to the majority these days? They'll be in 2 sizes, one for the pages and then I'll be linking all the individual pics to large pics [hopefully opening in a new window if I get it all right]. I used to run 800 resolution years ago, now at 1180, but you can see it in the evolution of the site with the pics getting larger and larger [especially in the gallery]. Anyway, I hate making decisions like these, and then end up wrong anyway.

For posting on the pages, the choice would be 640 or 800.

The linked pics, 1200 or 1600, unless somebody has a good argument for another size.

Or, go with one single medium size like 1024 and not link to larger pics.

What do you guys think? Majority will decide. Just remember I have to load all these on a slowish DSL, at least that's been the norm.

Forgotten last point. I usually save these at around 5-6 in photoshop. It's not like anybody is going to be printing glossy 8x10's with these. I'm still a complete noob at photoshop. I don't know what "quality" scale I need to have, I just know I mistakenly saved some of the catalog images at 2 and they look like doo. Is 5-6 addequate? Too high adding to load times? What should I be saving at for internet only viewing?

Last edited by Rich; 01-16-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Re: NAMM Pictures - size opinions

With most today have high speed broadband access and loading large high quality pics not being a problem the higher/bigger quality the better.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Display size is limited to the resolution of your monitor. Doesn't do any good putting up a 3200 picture if you're running 1100 resolution as you'll have a picture 3 times the size of your screen. A little bigger, still useable, 3 times, not so much. Much less if I had to load them from LA you can forget it. Half of them would be loaded by the time I'd have to yank it and head for the airport
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 PM

My vote is:

Webpage: 800
Linked pics: 1600

Don't forget to bring the 2gig card with ya!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM

800 & 1600 sounds great to me, and THANK YOU for doing this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 PM

Reviews: 12

Rich: as long it's in 72dpi and ya do the Save for Web function in photoshop, it's fine to have your images fit on a 800x600 monitor (is anybody still using 640x480 nowadays???). Quality of 6-8 does the job, 10 if you want a "real representation" for the web. Plus you don't want your hi-q pix "yoink'd" for print purposes.

Reg
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasbane View Post
Rich: as long it's in 72dpi and ya do the Save for Web function in photoshop, it's fine to have your images fit on a 800x600 monitor (is anybody still using 640x480 nowadays???). Quality of 6-8 does the job, 10 if you want a "real representation" for the web. Plus you don't want your hi-q pix "yoink'd" for print purposes.

Reg
You just lost me with the "save for web". I know where that in under file but no idea what makes that different. I know if I choose save for web I don't think it asks to choose a quality later. Is that correct?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

unless you want hires, just save at 1024x768 (or larger as i told you) and don't bother with the links. that's a waste of time. today's browsers scale images down and the bandwidth is minimal.

800x600 is futile.... glen
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 PM

the "save for web" is a pop-up window in photoshop... what version are ya using anyhow? I'm running CS2... I know this function's been around since CS
the save for web has more control to preview and optimize your web images before you save

Reg
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM

The first time I did the "save for web," I managed to just walk myself through it. It wasn't real hard. It should be fine, like you said, it's not like anybody's going to want to blow up real hi-res versions of these photos.

And I thank you as well. Next best thing to being there!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
unless you want hires, just save at 1024x768 (or larger as i told you) and don't bother with the links. that's a waste of time. today's browsers scale images down and the bandwidth is minimal.

800x600 is futile.... glen
Wait, browsers scale images?! My XP doesn't, does it?! LOL I haven't noticed Vista doing it on my lapper. That was the whole point of linking the larger size, so the pages still load fast and you can choose what you want to see bigger, cause not everybody cares about the same thing.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasbane View Post
the "save for web" is a pop-up window in photoshop... what version are ya using anyhow? I'm running CS2... I know this function's been around since CS
the save for web has more control to preview and optimize your web images before you save

Reg
I'm familiar with it, but not in what it does different to the image. I did a test save and didn't answer any of my questions about it. Does it limit the image to 72dpi or something? I can see where the "quality" is part of the window, and it was at 60 [or 6] but not sure if that's a preset or because that's what I usually save at anyway.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

IE6, IE7, firefox has extensions for this & does it by default. you shoudl play with the HTML, perhaps leaving off the IMG size tags to allow for autoresize on the fly if needed (if you went larger than 1024x768 for example)... glen

Quote:
By default, Firefox rescales large images so that they fit in your browser window. If you want to change that behavior so that you get the full image, here's how to do it.

- Type about:config into the address bar.

- Scroll down to the entry called browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing.

- Double click on this line and the value will be toggled.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I'm familiar with it, but not in what it does different to the image. I did a test save and didn't answer any of my questions about it. Does it limit the image to 72dpi or something? I can see where the "quality" is part of the window, and it was at 60 [or 6] but not sure if that's a preset or because that's what I usually save at anyway.
Think of it as a fine-tuner for optimizing images that are set to 72dpi. Default is 60 under the JPEG HIGH preset [was opening PS when I first posted]. Did ya click the 2-up and 4-up tabs? those are your preview windows for one preset/setting.

Reg
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:09 PM

I'd say <1% of people have a monitor with a native rez of 1600 x X.

Tags
ibanez jem , jemini pedal , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode