Need help from computer gurus - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Need help from computer gurus

Well it has happened again. My computer crashed. Freakin Norton GoBack kept crashing my computer and with no way to uninstall every time I tried to shut it down when ever I did get it to boot up Norton would crash it. I have since installed AVG. This is the first time I have used it but I hear good things. All I know is that I will never use Norton again.

So on to my question. I am thinking about getting another computer as I am tired of this Dell POS. I want to be able to do some gaming and basic internet stuff. I have been pricing at Gateway as I am told that they are upgradeable whereas Dell isn't. The system I have been pricing is going to run about 1800 bucks just for the Tower and keyboard, and for this system I didn't pick the top of the line on everything but rather middle ground. Any thoughts? suggestions?

I have also been talking to a buddy of mine and we were thinking that for the roughly the same amount of dough we could build and even better system. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:11 PM

Re: Need help from computer gurus

Build one..... go check some place like Newegg.com for everything. I didn't know you couldn't upgrade a Dell???? Like what parts, sound card, video card?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

You can upgrade them to an extent but only with Dell parts. Something about Dell dose not use the same connectors as everybody else. Thats my understanding any way. Thanks for the link.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 PM

You can build a much better system for the same price if not cheaper than any company computer, and it will be a lot easier to upgrade it as new technologies come out. And its fun and fairly easy to do it, plus you get that satisfaction of doing something yourself.. Both myself and roommate have been doing this for the past 4 years and haven't looked back since. You can upgrade Dells but the case and MB tend to be a bit more proprietary.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:22 PM

This is my favorite place to buy computer stuff. You can build your own pc on thier site too. They will even assemble and test it for you for a small fee. http://www.us.ncix.com/index.php?sku=9301
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:25 PM

check out http://www.frozencpu.com/ for mad pimpin' stuff about anything you want to trick out a PC is there...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:41 PM

http://www.apple.com
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:31 PM

i would also agree to build one. I've built two complete systems with crazy specs for about that same price, that includes windows software, monitor and everything else. If you want just some basic/good gaming and internet uses you can buy one for way less.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 PM

http://www.newegg.com is the best place to by PC components.

Also, instead of using goback, why not use Windows own Restore. I always create a restore point before installing anything. Any problems afterwards, and I simply go back to that restore point. Many people don't even know about this nifty feature of Windows (one of it's actual good features). Go to Start/Run and type restore. A window will pop up with the Restore Folder and it's programs. rstrui.exe is the restore program (minus the .exe if you have windows hide extensions). Launch it and it will show you restore points that you can go back to, or you can create a new restore point and name it what you want (such as before installing norton).
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice and links. I am going to start shopping around glad to know that theres some ppl that have done this before as I am sure I will run into problems.

Thanks Phantoms, I know about windows restore. Norton GoBack was part of Norton System works. I was using for the spam control. GoBack is actually a good idea enabling you to "goback" or restore before you computer boots up. If Windows fails to start. Well good until the hackers figured it out.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 AM

Dell uses proprietary motherboards and power supplies, but you can upgrade anything else with whatever you want. That being said, I would still build my own, but if you donít want to go that route, Dell is an excellent choice.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

no offense, but at $1800 you will be taking a bath... follow this site for a few weeks and cut your budget alot.

http://dealnews.com/categories/Compu...html?showall=1

dells are totally upgradable... you'd be better off withh a cheap dell and nice PCIee video card putting you still at 1/2 that budget or less. if you actually installed norton goback i really don't think you are capable of taking advantage of an $1800 nor is it even close to a smart purchase ... glen
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:27 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
no offense, but at $1800 you will be taking a bath... follow this site for a few weeks and cut your budget alot.

http://dealnews.com/categories/Compu...html?showall=1

dells are totally upgradable... you'd be better off withh a cheap dell and nice PCIee video card putting you still at 1/2 that budget or less. if you can't get antivirus running, i don't think you are capable of taking advantage of an $1800 PC... glen
I'm totally with Glen on this one. On all points.

Watch this site daily:
http://www.gotapex.com/

They always have good deals through Dell (legit ones). Sometimes they have GREAT deals. IE - I got $750 off my laptop (it was a one-day special on all laptops $1500+).
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 AM

Notice the Dell deal right on top....

http://slickdeals.net/
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Notice the Dell deal right on top....

http://slickdeals.net/
those Dell's for 399 is a joke...your getting a 80 gig HD and a crap analog 19" LCD that you wouldnt even be able to run with a high end graphics card (well you could but you wouldn't be getting what your card should be doing like 1080p and HD) and thats about it, the processor is junk and theres no real graphics or sound card and 1/2 gig memory isn't enough at all, I'm running 2 gig and its slow..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode