Need some help from our Canadians! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Need some help from our Canadians!

Ok, so in about 3 weeks I have a bar gig with my band. The problem is im only 18 (legal drinking age is 19 here) so im not allowed in the bar after 10, which is when we go on. So I need to send away for papers to be signed by my parents saying that i wont drink while im there and such. But what happens is that I have to get the papers, then send them away again, then they get sent back down here or somethin. what im looking for is an alternative to doing that, such as a place online to get the forms to speed things up since we've been booked for 3 weeks from now.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:43 PM

Re: Need some help from our Canadians!

Crap, I really wouldn't know, drinking age in Quebec is 18. What kind of form is it, what is it called?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

im not sure, I havent been talking to the bar owner. It's official papers I believe, that state that when not playing, I wll not leave the stage area, and no one will come up to me with drinks, and I cant drink anything but water I think.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 08:30 PM

Can't really help you. Is it only me though, or are all these formalities ridiculous? One year this way or the other, who cares?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Not me seeing how I dont drink anyway
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Fudge your driver's license. lol Where are you playing?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:57 PM

I'm not sure if this helps, but you might want to read this article. The smoking regulations also might need to be taken into account, in addition to the liquor laws.

The Nova Scotia Liquor Control Act states:
Quote:
18A (1) The Board may permit an underage entertainer to enter and remain in a tavern, beverage room, lounge or cabaret solely for the purpose of presenting a live performance of a musical nature by the underage entertainer.
(2) A written request, in such form as the Board may require, shall be filed with the Board by the licensee in order for consideration to be given for an underage entertainer to perform in premises in respect of which a tavern license, beverage room license, lounge license or cabaret license has been issued and is in effect.
(3) Written consent, in such form as the Board may require, shall be filed by the parent or legal guardian of the underage entertainer in order for the Board to consider a request made pursuant to these regulations.
(4) An underage entertainer shall be permitted to be on licensed premises only for the duration of the performance and shall not remain in the patron accommodation area while not performing.
(5) While in the licensed premises, the underage entertainer must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or person over the age of nineteen years who has been designated in writing by the parent or legal guardian as responsible for the underage entertainer for the duration of the performance in the licensed premises.
(6) The licensee shall ensure that at no time are alcoholic beverages served to or consumed by the underage entertainer.
(7) Performances which are included under these regulations are live vocal, instrumental or dance presentations. Permission for underage entertainment pursuant to these regulations will only be given where it can be demonstrated that
(a) the performance will foster the musical development of the underage individual; and
(b) the performance will serve to promote the growth and development of music and culture in Nova Scotia.
So it looks like the following need to happen, in this order:

1) Your parents need to provide written consent to the venue for you to perform there.
2) The venue has to apply for permission from the Liquor Board.
3) You need to be accompanied by a parent or someone over the age of 19 who has been designated in writing by your parents as being responsible for you.
4) You are only allowed on premises for the duration of the performance, and you cannot be in the licensed area when not performing.

Sounds simple enough, but you need to get moving on it ASAP so the venue can follow the correct procedure with the Liquor Board.

BTW, i found this information easily by going to http://www.gov.ns.ca and searching for "underage".

Last edited by darren wilson; 04-11-2005 at 12:14 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Darren. I was told that there were specific papers that needed to be filed, not just my parents writing a "permission slip"

We''ll be playing at "Papa's Pub" In PortHawkesbury on Cape Breton island. Common down if your in the area YaYoGakk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Well i got the paper. Its pretty straight forward. We are covering four hours of play. 10pm-2am. so that should be....uh....fun. I bet alot of people are going to be drunk off their arses too. We get paid whatever we get at the door and there is a 5 dollar cover so hopefully we'll rake in some cash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode