Need some laptop advice... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Need some laptop advice...

I know that there have been computer topics here before, but by now they are so outdated that I decided not to bring them back. This is also not really a studio topic, so I put it here.

I know there are quite a few people on here with some computer knowledge and I would like to know what you think about the Centrino Core Duo processors.

I am basically looking for a decent laptop for university/office work and internet, which would also handle some audio use (I would like to be able to do some basic multitracking as well as use it live performances with software like AudioMulch, Ableton, Max/MSP or PD).

I settled for a minimum of Centrino processor, 60GB HDD, 512MB RAM (will be upgraded), and a 14"-15" screen (I want it to be mobile). The doubts I have are whether it's worth investing into the Core Duo Centrinos over regular ones. I have my eye on an HP with a 1,6Ghz Core Duo processor, but I can also get a regular Centrino with a higher clock speed. Would even a low-end Core Duo be a good idea, or is it all smoke and mirrors?

Any suggestions regarding companies? I am thinking of HP or Toshiba, but there are some well-priced Fujitsus and Acers over here as well.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 PM

Re: Need some laptop advice...

for what you want to do you don't need to waste your money on that stuff. i would never buy an HP since they are overpriced and most of their stuff is proprietery. i hate them. acer is good....are they still in business? i thought they were gone. anyway, i have worked on most brands and the best ones i have seen overall are DELL and ibm. i really don't like ibm too much since they break down a lot so make sure you get the extended warranty. we have ibm techs here at work weekly for the laptops we carry. i use nothing but dell and i own my own video production / digital photo / pro tools studio.

in the end it's your call. hope i helped you out. by the way, the laptop i'm using for pro tools is an older model dell pentium 4, 2.something, 768 mb ram. whatever you get now will be faster than what i have and i'm working great. get at least a gig in ram!

steve
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 PM

With laptops, MOST of it is proprietary. There are exceptions (most HDs & memory, many CPUs, and a few graphic subsystems), but they're more on a model basis than by brand.

Buy by speed, features, and price, from a major vendor.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - you need to keep in mind that I am Poland/Europe, where we don't get Dells for instance.

The HP at this point has the best price/performance ratio (but it doesn't have the fancy widescreen and other gadgets), and as Jester said, it's hard to escape the "proprietary". I guess I will just go with the most I can get within my price range and call it a day...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:04 PM

Try looking into Lenovo their new laptop seem quite cool and the price is good too. If you want over the top then go for Alienware .

Regards

André

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Try looking into Lenovo their new laptop seem quite cool and the price is good too. If you want over the top then go for Alienware .

Regards

André
I ain't got the dought for over the top

Lenove is an option though, I heard good things about them. I don't know how their support network is though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode