Need UK translation - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
Need UK translation

So last week my brother got me hooked on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Being that it takes place all over the UK, some of the "cursing" used (because its uncensored) sounds freaking hilarious to me because I can catch the gist of it. However, some of the words seemed to have multiple meanings or I simply have no clue what it means. For example:

bollocks = balls(testes) or bullpoop?
punter = derogatory name for a customer?
plonker = special man part?
c*ock = rooster or special man part or peac*ock?

Maybe some of our UK brothers can shed some light here and give an American translation?

And for the rest of you, if you like the US Kitchen Nightmares, the UK version is top notch because its uncensored and they are quite liberal with the f-bombs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM

Re: Need UK translation

Hi Silverctr,

Ramsay is awesome although I'd hate to have him as a boss! He's scottish, like me, so I really like it when he goes for the no bull comments!

Bollocks means exactly as you say - both balls and bullpoop. Highly popular in british swearing. ("That's a load of bollocks!") Not literally a big bag of testicles...!
Punter is more of a slang word for customer but it's not derogatory. When we go to gigs we are 'punters'. Not sure where that word originates from though.
Plonker is a polite or slang way of saying 'special man part', like the word 'willy' (common in Scotland). It's also a lighter way of saying idiot - 'You dozy plonker!' etc.
Knowing Ramsay, **** is certainly being used as the slang term for 'special man part' again.

Hey, since we're on the subject, why are americans so intrigued with scottish accents? I'm touring the states at the moment and people are always asking me to 'say that again!'. So funny!

Also, if you ever get the chance to eat a haggis just do it. Don't ask what's in it, just eat it. You'll love it I promise! It'll also make you an even better guitar player...

Rock on,
Chris
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM

We ask you UK'ers to say again because we are amazed that you lads can't speak the language you invented.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM

@Cosmic Debris

Awa' 'n' bile yer heed ya cheeky wee bugger ye!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
@Cosmic Debris

Awa' 'n' bile yer heed ya cheeky wee bugger ye!
Yes, I put out on the first date but you gotta bring flowers and buy dinner. Least I think that was what you were asking.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
Hi Silverctr,

Ramsay is awesome although I'd hate to have him as a boss! He's scottish, like me, so I really like it when he goes for the no bull comments!

Bollocks means exactly as you say - both balls and bullpoop. Highly popular in british swearing. ("That's a load of bollocks!") Not literally a big bag of testicles...!
Punter is more of a slang word for customer but it's not derogatory. When we go to gigs we are 'punters'. Not sure where that word originates from though.
Plonker is a polite or slang way of saying 'special man part', like the word 'willy' (common in Scotland). It's also a lighter way of saying idiot - 'You dozy plonker!' etc.
Knowing Ramsay, **** is certainly being used as the slang term for 'special man part' again.

Hey, since we're on the subject, why are americans so intrigued with scottish accents? I'm touring the states at the moment and people are always asking me to 'say that again!'. So funny!

Also, if you ever get the chance to eat a haggis just do it. Don't ask what's in it, just eat it. You'll love it I promise! It'll also make you an even better guitar player...

Rock on,
Chris
Thanks for the translation! I think most people here think the Scots sound like Shrek or one of Mike Myers' other characters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JTso...eature=related
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 AM
Vendor

I think Scotts sound like Sean Connery chewing on a plonker.

Did I say that right?

Of course I love Scotts, I've got plenty Tartan DNA, I just can't understand what they're saying half the time!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think Scotts sound like Sean Connery chewing on a plonker.

Did I say that right?

Of course I love Scotts, I've got plenty Tartan DNA, I just can't understand what they're saying half the time!

LOL!

Like the men said, "Don't ask what it is,just eat it you'll love it"

Tags
gordon ramsay , kitchen nightmares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode