networking Geniuses.. question - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

networking Geniuses.. question

I have 1 wireless router right now. I have 3 units that are not within cable range of the router, that don't have wireless capability. Is there anyway to use another wireless router, or a wireless switch or something so that i can have that unit accept the signal, then send it to those units through cables? I know that having the three on one router will make the signal weaker to each unit, but only one should ever be actively using the network at any given time. basically i'm hooking a computer, Xbox, and Wii to the internet, but don't have anyway to get a cable to them.. I don't want to buy the wirless device for XBOX or the computer and for some reason the Wii will not connect to the wireless router i have even though my laptop will.

I appreciate any insight you guys may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: networking Geniuses.. question

if you can hardwire all 3 devices (i assume there in the same room) you only need a wireless bridge with 3 ports, such as the many examples here. this will give you full wifi access to your wireless router (which has your internet connection obviously) on the 3 devices without needing special wifi cards per device (xbox, wii, pc). you need 3 cat-5 cables also.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ess-AP-Bridges

... glen
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Though about using something like this:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...Specifications

or this (if your router has a spare ethernet port):
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...tAdapters.aspx

Last edited by Algiman; 12-01-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: More info
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
if you can hardwire all 3 devices (i assume there in the same room) you only need a wireless bridge with 3 ports, such as the many examples here. this will give you full wifi access to your wireless router (which has your internet connection obviously) on the 3 devices without needing special wifi cards per device (xbox, wii, pc). you need 3 cat-5 cables also.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ess-AP-Bridges

... glen
basically these three devices are all in a tv stand in the living room. They will all be hard wired. I have have a cat5 crimper and cable and ends are pretty cheap so the short cables i'll need won't be an issue.. The router is in another room, so if these access points work pretty well, i'll probably get one of those. I rent an apartment so i can't start adding cabling in the walls. That might make them a little mad. Plus they want a freaking fortune to have someone come in to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Yup, just get a bridge with 3 ports, and clone the MAC address from your router into the bridge and you should be good to go.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Reviews: 18

Why go through all that hassle instead of simply getting 3 usb wireless g adapters?

Seems like ya'll are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Jimmy

P.S.: Check that your encryption on the wireless router isn't set at 128-bit. I had that same problem with my ps3 and it wouldn't connect to my linksys router. In the end, I had to piggyback another wireless router to my linksys running 64-bit encryption so that it would connect (I'm lazy..).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

so right now i have a belkin wireless N router that can be used as an acces point. It doens't have gigabit ports. I want to get a new router with gigabit ports anyway so that we could hook up a ReadyNAS Duo into my network for good storage/backup and quick access of our photography/other work from all computers. Seems to me i could just use my old router as the access point. thoughts.. Should the Belkin router be able to pickup wireless from any other brand of router?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Why go through all that hassle instead of simply getting 3 usb wireless g adapters?

Seems like ya'll are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Jimmy

P.S.: Check that your encryption on the wireless router isn't set at 128-bit. I had that same problem with my ps3 and it wouldn't connect to my linksys router. In the end, I had to piggyback another wireless router to my linksys running 64-bit encryption so that it would connect (I'm lazy..).

from what i have heard the Xbox360 requires the use of MS's wireless device at 100 dollars. not even sure if it's a wireless N device. I can do an access point and cabling for less than that and only have to configure one wireless connection then.

if i had it my way every device would be wired. When i buy a house, it will be.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest View Post
from what i have heard the Xbox360 requires the use of MS's wireless device at 100 dollars. not even sure if it's a wireless N device. I can do an access point and cabling for less than that and only have to configure one wireless connection then.

if i had it my way every device would be wired. When i buy a house, it will be.
That's not entirely true. I have a friend who was able to connect her pos xbox to her wireless router using an $8.00 usb wireless adapter she bought at Micro Center.

Jimmy
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i don't have xbox but i don't see USB network card (with a generic driver) working very well, especially with security. I'd bet many people "connecting" with $8 adapters turn of WPA and run totally unprotected or WEP (also unprotected). That is not a solution imho.

The wifi router - to be a wifi bridge - needs to be able to work as a bridge. For example the D-Link DWL-2100AP has a bridge switch whereas many wifi routers won't necessarily be bridge-able (wifi to wifi). Other wifi routers can be a bridge simply by disabling DHCP on that device (using DHCP on the primary router to connect & obtain an IP).

download a user's guide & read/learn more
http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...kInstallGuides

.. glen
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 AM

I agree with what Glen is saying. There may be a way to get it working, but it may not be the "best" way to do it, and it could leave your connection wide open.

I use one of these, and I just clone the router's MAC address in and it works as a secure wireless bridge for connecting things via ethernet.

It's actually just a wireless gaming adapter, but it will serve the purpose.

Tags
network

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode